• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Performance driving q (1 Viewer)

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
Double-clutching on the downchange is better for your synchro even if it does have synchromeshing right?

like, i've noticed on my mum's GLi jazz that the synchro is stuffing up a bit lately. shes had the car for 3 years and she drives pretty averagely.. (i.e., most of the time the revs are nowhere near matched on the downchanges ha..)
double-clutching could of helped prevent this right?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Its a real waste of effort and time to fuck about doing that on a modern car, thats the point of synchros, so you dont have to double shuffle. You could do it and it would be better for it, but really the gains are marginal for all that extra driving effort. Just teach her when she should be shifting. People who dont know when to shift shouldnt be driving manuals :(

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
i just give a tap of revs when i'm down changing to get the revs at the same level so it's not jerky.
especially when i have ppl in the car

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Granny shifting, not double clutching like you should. You're lucky that 150 shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Would make no difference. Even when you rev it in neutral, the synchros be turnin.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
yeah it only adds to a smoother down change really. instead of the engine having to bring the revs up, you do it for the car, an it's nothing difficult...tap the gas just before u relese the clutch

michael1990

HSC
I only do it, so there is no kangaroo jumping.

Plus i like the sound of my exhaust lol.

michael1990

HSC
47.46.45 said:
My manual skills are entirely self taught so I suspect I'm shifting wrong. Protips?
Can you change the gears without crunching them?

Do know how not to ride the clutch?

Do you change gears at the right RPM?

if yes to all then your're driving fine.

dizon

pm me 4 cybar secks
HSC
Azamakumar said:
Granny shifting, not double clutching like you should. You're lucky that 150 shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake.
I need one of these. One of the big ones. No actually.. let's make it two... and Harry.. I need it by tonight!

breed obsession
A wine-soaked strobe-lit Asiatic hall of mirrors
HSC
michael1990 said:
Can you change the gears without crunching them?

Do know how not to ride the clutch?

Do you change gears at the right RPM?

if yes to all then your're driving fine.
Never crunch gears, don't stall anymore either. It's just some things I do that are kinda seedy... like if there's nobody behind me on a hill I just hover on the clutch (is it called the friction point where the RPM start to drop?) instead of using the handbrake. Which I suspect is bad for the car.
I also don't really know when to shift. I tend to just change up to 4th asap when driving around towns and shift back down when I need to stop. It isn't hoppy so I can't be too far off the right shift times, I'm just not sure what exactly they're meant to be. Maybe I should get a lesson as a one off to make sure I'm not ruining the car :p

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
The friction point is where the car starts moving. And the 'right' time to shift has no jerks even if you slam it through the gears.

And I do that hill start thing too. That said my clutch is incredibly smooth.

michael1990

HSC
47.46.45 said:
Never crunch gears, don't stall anymore either. It's just some things I do that are kinda seedy... like if there's nobody behind me on a hill I just hover on the clutch (is it called the friction point where the RPM start to drop?) instead of using the handbrake. Which I suspect is bad for the car.
I also don't really know when to shift. I tend to just change up to 4th asap when driving around towns and shift back down when I need to stop. It isn't hoppy so I can't be too far off the right shift times, I'm just not sure what exactly they're meant to be. Maybe I should get a lesson as a one off to make sure I'm not ruining the car :p
Okay from the top.

The hill thing is fine, depending on how long you hold it.
The friction point is where the car starts to move. I am thinking that your're using your clutch and accelerator as the brake?

What sort of car are you driving?

You shouldn't really be changing at 4000RPM in city driving. When you downgear you should be using the brake before you downshift.

If you downshift and know your're going to fast for that gear, to stop the jerk give it a rev in between downshifting.

NEVER crunch gears. You will only stall if you don't pay attention to the cars sound. When you hear the car losing revs just give it a little more.

Riding the clutch is when you have the clutch in when you take off and brake. Remember when braking in a manual you don't need to put the clutch in until you feeling the car shutter.

I wouldn't recommend having a lesson. They teach you how to pass your're Provisional Licence test. Not to look after your car.

Pace_T

HSC
i hit the accelerator before i downshift as well. makes it much smoother. sometimes i dont however, for instance when i want to slow down when approaching lights, roundabouts etc

Pace_T

HSC
michael1990 said:
Riding the clutch is when you have the clutch in when you take off and brake. Remember when braking in a manual you don't need to put the clutch in until you feeling the car shutter.
where did you learn this? its utter rubbish.

wikipedia said:
Riding the clutch should not be confused with 'freewheeling' or 'coasting' where the clutch is pressed down fully allowing the car to roll either downhill or from inertia.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
bowman said:
yeah it only adds to a smoother down change really. instead of the engine having to bring the revs up, you do it for the car, an it's nothing difficult...tap the gas just before u relese the clutch
That's not how you double-clutch.

iEdd

HSC
Riding the clutch is when you rest your foot on the clutch riding around. This pushes it in slightly whenever there is a bump, allowing it to slip and wear. What michael1990 described was clutch COASTING, which should be minimised as it is safer to be in gear and DFCO will save more fuel for you when you are in gear down a hill then in neutral idling.

Double declutching or double clutching is:
clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out
(for an downshift) tap throttle
clutch in, shift to lower gear, clutch out

Unnecessary with syncros, but if done correctly, the gear stick will feel like it's "sucked" into the gear because the dog-teeth are rotating at the same speed as the gears they are engaging.

I just do single-clutch downshifts sometimes, which is a slight rev between a higher and lower gear (no shifting to neutral), so it saves wear on the clutch, but has no effect on the transmission.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)