Photo storage when travelling.. (1 Viewer)

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
I was wondering.. what did/would you guys use to store photos when travelling.. I'm sure I will be taking more than the 300 photos my camera holds.. any tips?
My friend said something about how he got a hard drive with a memory card reader.. and directly put it onto that? I tried searching for one but I cannot quite find what he means..
Ipod photo? Can't really afford it but it might be a last resort.. I'll try ebay?
At the moment I'm thinking of just getting images transferred to cd rom every so often.. but then imagine if they break or get scratched. I could buy a few more memory sticks.. but I guess I wont exactly be needing them once I get back.
Advice? Cheers!

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
start a photo bucket acount?

just buy a couple of thumb drives and store your photos on there as you go

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
Last edited:
HSC
Ms 12 said:
uh just get another storage card and change it when it gets full?
Yeah thats what ill be doing.. except ill buy the back upone in the states.. heeeeeaps cheaper and heaps more room on them

^___^
HSC
or you can fork out a bit for a laptop
nothing fancy, just cheap and has the specs to transfer files between comps/camera

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
a laptop?
i havent even got money for my basic food needs overseas at the moment lol
in regards to changing a memory card.. the way i see it ill be taking a minimum of 4GB in photos while over there and 4 x 1GB memory cards that size are like $400
i might just go for the burning to cds as i take them option

Last edited:

aim54x

XccenTRiX
lost in the mists of time, shrouded by thought
HSC
Ms 12 said:
I think you'll find that most cds only have around 32mbs of storage...
WTF, i don't know wat cd's ur usin? they hold 650-700mb

on the topic of storing the photos, wat sort fof camera do u have.

i find that i can fit well over 300 photos from my 4mp kodak in best mode onto a 256mb card.

if u do run into storage problems i'd say pick up a big ass SD card overseas i just got a 1GB form Hong Kong for bout $90. otherwise pick up a HD mp3 player and use it for storage, def get it offshore cause u r most likely to get it cheaper.

aim54x

XccenTRiX
lost in the mists of time, shrouded by thought
HSC
cro_angel said:
a laptop?
in regards to changing a memory card.. the way i see it ill be taking a minimum of 4GB in photos while over there and 4 x 1GB memory cards that size are like $400
i jsut got a laptop for $1100 with decent specs so they r not too expensive, i don't recommend u go with this option as cheap laptops tend to be heavy

HSC
cro_angel said:
a laptop?
4 GB in photos? thats only one DVDs worth isnt it?but then again thats a shit load of pics

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
if you have an iPod, from DJ's/Myer (Forgotten which) they're selling a little adaptor which allows you to plug in a USB cable into it from your camera, and then transfer your photos to the ipod..

Hope that made sense. If not, go to the local DJs/Myer electronic department and ask them. :) it's about $50.

HSC
Skittled said:
if you have an iPod, from DJ's/Myer (Forgotten which) they're selling a little adaptor which allows you to plug in a USB cable into it from your camera, and then transfer your photos to the ipod..

Hope that made sense. If not, go to the local DJs/Myer electronic department and ask them. :) it's about $50.

ohhh really? awesome that will work for me too! yay!! do u need an ipod photo??

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
i have a sony dsc-p73 (4.1mp).. i use it in 3:2 mode (so it looks good when i print) and i have a 512mb memory stick.. so yeh i haven't actually filled up my memory card unless taking video but im guessing it will let me take around 300-400.. but yeh the way i was thinking was to fill up a memory stick then it will fit on one cd..
i might just buy another one from ebay.. the 512mb ones go for around 50 so ill just get another one to keep me busy if i cant get to/find a photo place
i guess it would be 1 dvd worth.. but remember that i cant hold 1 dvd worth on my memory sticks so i gotta be burning them on as i go along
i have got a 4gb ipod mini but yeh that will be moreso for music.. im going to be on the plane for a long time and need some entertainment.
thanks for the tips guys

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah i used the ipod adapter when i went to china......worked great, got about 4000photos (about 9GB worth) just in 2 weeks!

and nah you dont need the ipod photo......(Although all ipods are colour now)

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
What ever you do, DON'T PUT YOUR PHOTOS ONLY ONTO EMAIL!!!!!!

I did it, and now my 600 odd photos are wrecked. *tear*

I have learnt my lesson!

Sabbo

HSC
I'd recommend the X's Drive. It's like your friend suggested a harddrive (comes in different sizes) and an inbuilt card reader.

http://www.xs-drive.com/xsdrive2plus/

I bought it with a friend for our 3 months Europetrip. Worked great!

Last edited:

fatmuscle

HSC
I used an ipod (20Gb) to store photos, our lovely server here, and I setup my home FTP.

can never be too careful with holiday pics.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
Sabbo said:
I'd recommend the X's Drive. It's like your friend suggested a harddrive (comes in different sizes) and an inbuilt card reader.

http://www.xs-drive.com/xsdrive2plus/

I bought it with a friend for our 3 months Europetrip. Worked great!
Have we got the same friend?
hehehehe
I'll look into it.. by having an actual brand it is easier to find similar products.
Cheers!

HSC
cro_angel said:
Have we got the same friend?
hehehehe
I'll look into it.. by having an actual brand it is easier to find similar products.
Cheers!

that looks rad. prices?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)