Physical Journey: Unexpected Detours (1 Viewer)

Hedgy

HSC
Who Got Teh Soulstone'z..
Cause i Need a Goddamn REZ.

Area of Studies Journeys Screwed me Over completly.
You Go any further left field..you'll find me in the damn parking lot.

I left it to last while i mulled it over,sorta got my head around it,the fact that unexpected detour..isn't really choices was a bit strong to bash around

BS'd my way through it with feliks and CRS about how their journey of life had taken unexpected detours but they were going to remain optimistic and defeat it and hence were better of for it.

Given another shot i could definately have made some strong links between these two

Thats about as far as i got though, outta time >>_<< Faaaaa*8

No Stimulus, or related material

No way could i have weavered my related material or stimulus booklet stuff id choosen to 'study' in their anyway,.

I think Renegade said it best 'I have never failed an exam as badly as I did with todays exam' .

Sucks it was 'only the hsc' one.
ahwell What can you do.Sucks knowing you can have done sooo much better if the question had gone your way.

CURVE BALL!!!!!!!
Strike One.

..Theres only 2 tests though rite?
Atleast i wont be 'OUT!'

..mind you looks like i'll be benching it >_<

morganforrest

HSC
jebemti said:
during the reading time i read over the question and sort of began to panic as my essay only briefly discusses obastacles etc.

b4 i begin i also think its not fair that eng has become how much a person can write rather than wat they can write
i had a prepared essay which i recognised that i had to do because i am an extremely slow writer and i cannot write up a decent length essay without already having something in my mind. However i can right pretty well.. i used 3 skrzynecki poems immigrants, leaving home and drive in the country..and ivory trail which i found very difficult to link to question

i tried my best to adapt the essay but i was tight on time aswell..i would jst like to known how important it is to adapt to the question and completely answer it

with the same essay ive gotten 15/15 and 14/15 wat would i be looking at in the worst case scenario
Probably not above a band 4 as you don't have a related text

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC
morganforrest said:
I wouldn't get too caught up in what's right and worong...it is english after all, as long as you argued correctly with plenty of evidence to support your thesis

Alternatively you could be completely wrong
Yeah, I think I went on a tangent -.-;

HSC
IMO jebemti, they wana know you know your stuff well, that you can use techniques, that you can quote the right text, etc.
Tieing to the question is important, but it obviously has to have some genertic things like the ones I listed.

fishy89sg

HSC
i guess the "unexpected detours" question was exactly that: unexpected

jebemti

HSC
morganforrest said:
Probably not above a band 4 as you don't have a related text
sorry i didnt say it up there but i had 3 P.S poems, ivory trial and my additional text which was lord of war

would that change anything...???

morganforrest

HSC
jebemti said:
sorry i didnt say it up there but i had 3 P.S poems, ivory trial and my additional text which was lord of war

would that change anything...???
Yeah that would change things....it just depends in how much depth u answered the questions...with 3 PS texts im not sure u could have gone into too much depth but really, it's hard to tell without seeing it

As long as you had a reasonable link to the question and used heaps of techniques etc then there's no reason not to hope for 5 or 6

jebemti

HSC
morganforrest said:
Yeah that would change things....it just depends in how much depth u answered the questions...with 3 PS texts im not sure u could have gone into too much depth but really, it's hard to tell without seeing it

As long as you had a reasonable link to the question and used heaps of techniques etc then there's no reason not to hope for 5 or 6
well i did have heaps of techniques which was always the strong poit of my essay but yeh we were told to use 3 poems so i did but that ment i couldnt link it enough....

sezza899

HSC
fishy89sg said:
you had to define the unexpected detour?

i just focused on the extent to which it was in the texts - not defining it

You didn't have to define the question necessarily, I defined it because my texts - like 'Town Where Time Stands Still' - didn't have anything about detours.
So by defining it as emotional I related it to the "external geography" can lead to emotional detours in the person, sending them on a different internal journey..... if that makes sense?

richo90

HSC
chocolate_lover said:
I just wrote about obstacles... with random quotes.

I couldn't really see how any of Skrzynecki's poems suited the question... except for "Leaving Home".
I used Immigrants at central station and crossing the red sea and managed to make them suit the question. I actually thought the question went well with the practice/trial essay i had previously done. But yes, i sorta changed detours into obstacles.

eppingMCE

HSC
morganforrest said:
No I didn't just spew out a generic essay....but I do agree that section 1 was hard....did anyone else notice the drought of techniques???
Yep i noticed it, once it was reading time i went straight for the questions to find the "HOWS" and i was confused about how come there was no HOWS, so i was abit stuffed. but i put in techniques requardless coz they usally focus on technqies in marking criteria

mar-Teeni14

HSC
mzduxx2006 said:
the question was basically asking u how do physical journeys encounter barriers and unknown repercussions. so you can discuss how the results of a journey are unknown, continual, can be either positive or negative. i was really happy with it. i ended up discussing the spontaneous and uncontrollable nature of journeys and how unexpected barriers arise. i ended up talking about skrzyneckis migrant hostel and crossing the red sea as well as frosts the road not taken and my related material. overall took me 2 full 8 page booklets with small to medium sized writing. i was anticipating such a question so im happy with my response.
HOW THE HELL DID U FINISH TWO BOOKLETS!!!!!!!....i physically cannot write that much! you are CRAZY! You're wrist must be about to fall off!

antheajirgens

HSC
N/A
morganforrest said:
Hi Ant :wave:

But I didn't think it was too bad. Imo detour = obstacle and my generic essay had all been about challenges and obstacles.

True that it was hard to adapt to Skrzynecki but I used Feliks and Leaving Home and said that he'd lost control/ownership of the journey and deviated off his intended path, hence he had to reestablish control to bring it back.

Used Frost, wasn't too bad and my related text (The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho) fitted perfectly.

Overall I didn't think the paper was too bad tbh.

:mad1:

ohhh well la di da check me out, I'm Mr. Morgan and i just know everything!! haha were both so creative with our names. Well, i'm feeling slighly better because i just rang the advice line stressing about my creative writing and she said that it dont really have to be a 'central theme', that as long as you used the quote then thats all the marking criteria really requires. HURRAY! so now i feel better. However, section one was hard- especially text 3 and when they asked you to write like 3 marks worth on contrast. LAME!
Nervous for monday because i am seriously going doowwwnnn......... :bomb: haha check that out- thats totally me!

live.fast

HSC
N/A
hey you know how it asked for the 'extent' to which texts showed this? How did you address that?

Does that mean that we had to not only talk about whether detours were incorporated in the world of physical journeys, but the varying degrees to which it is?

sabrina69808

HSC
lol, reading the question at first i felt like i didnt know wat the hell to write, it was like detours????? i finally wrote about all the challenges the protagonists in the texts faced, im hoping that was correct. with one paper down im seriously starting to stress about the modules paper:rofl:

MyLoveIsPure

HSC
Buiboi said:
YESSS!! i thought os...unexpcted detours = obstacles...right right?
No. Obstacles and detours are completly different things. They would of wrote obstacles instead of detours if it was about the challenges faced. Detours were about the unexpected things that happened in the journey, and how the characters were effected by a certain theme/character. For example, in "The town were time stands still", people find their "geni loci" after a certain even takes place( which acts as a detour). In Away, the "geni loci" for gwen was the storm, which was symbolised as reconciliation and rebirth.

I hope i made my point clear.

spangacrab

HSC
Detour is the same as an obstacle, you have to go around them or overcome them.

N

noir.

THE WORD DETOURS WAS OPEN TO INTERPRETATION. personally i thought that was a revolting word to use.

pattii

condom endorser
HSC
Hedgy said:
Who Got Teh Soulstone'z..
Cause i Need a Goddamn REZ.

Area of Studies Journeys Screwed me Over completly.
You Go any further left field..you'll find me in the damn parking lot.

I left it to last while i mulled it over,sorta got my head around it,the fact that unexpected detour..isn't really choices was a bit strong to bash around

BS'd my way through it with feliks and CRS about how their journey of life had taken unexpected detours but they were going to remain optimistic and defeat it and hence were better of for it.

Given another shot i could definately have made some strong links between these two

Thats about as far as i got though, outta time >>_<< Faaaaa*8

No Stimulus, or related material

No way could i have weavered my related material or stimulus booklet stuff id choosen to 'study' in their anyway,.

I think Renegade said it best 'I have never failed an exam as badly as I did with todays exam' .

Sucks it was 'only the hsc' one.
ahwell What can you do.Sucks knowing you can have done sooo much better if the question had gone your way.

CURVE BALL!!!!!!!
Strike One.

..Theres only 2 tests though rite?
Atleast i wont be 'OUT!'

..mind you looks like i'll be benching it >_<

what?

ON TOPIC:
I thought that the unexpected detours were factors/obstacles/challeneges on the journey that allowed the individual to stray off course from their 'goal'.

i did felicks- unexpected detour the growing gap between his father culturally, and knowledgably.
A drive int he country- contemplation of death planning to choose it but then peter shows the 'extent' of his contemplation before returning to reality(life journey)
and The town where time stands still- travellers travel to search for the genii loci but dont find it as an unexpected detour...

+RM which did not support the idea of unexpected detours...=\

dunno, i think i did shit. meh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)