Physicist Vs Engineer (Salary) (1 Viewer)

Joel8945

HSC
Hello,

At the moment I'm considering going down the engineering or physicist career pathway. I know that engineers do get a higher graduate salary than physicists, but at the same time I love studying physics. The only thing is that a lot of people say that becoming any form of scientist doesn't really pay that well! Is that true? I would like to atleast be financially comfortable with my profession. What are people's views on this topic?

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
What area of physics do you have an interest in?

I think there are a lot more opportunities in engineering.

conics2008

HSC
your just stupid, if your going to do a degree only because of the salary...

do something that u enjoy

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Some people do that, and then a few years down the track they get disillusioned and discouraged at their very mediocre salary that's going no where. A high salary is what drives some people and gives them a sense of achievement. Different strokes, different folks.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Well being science minded, I'm sure he would enjoy both anyway.

And besides, speak to anyone, unless you get some insane dream job (eg. NBa player etc), at some stage or other regardless of whether you initially liked it, you're going to grow tired of your job.
The higher you're getting paid though, the less shit things will be, and having more money will enable to pursue further your out of work passions.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Hello,
The only thing is that a lot of people say that becoming any form of scientist doesn't really pay that well! Is that true?
And on this, Scientists get decently; I mean, you won't get rich, but if you're good at what you do you'll be paid more than most people, and even more so for engineering.

gcspsp

HSC
Well to my knowledge, most science grads often take up positions in research. If you continue your education into post grad, opportunities might be more open. Theres always the option of becoming a lecturer/teacher! I guess managment roles are also an alternative (with sufficient qualifications that is).

P.S. engineering grad salaries are not all that great...around the 45k mark.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Hello,

At the moment I'm considering going down the engineering or physicist career pathway. I know that engineers do get a higher graduate salary than physicists, but at the same time I love studying physics. The only thing is that a lot of people say that becoming any form of scientist doesn't really pay that well! Is that true? I would like to atleast be financially comfortable with my profession. What are people's views on this topic?
I started off Doing Engineering.

And switched very recently to science(physics) because i loved physics.

I advise you to do a Engineering/ Science (Physics) double degree and hopefully (like me) you will realise which one you like more and then go for it :)

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Hello,

hsc: 2008

if all you've done is high school, you really don't know whether you like physics or not yet

most unis have a science/engo combined degree anyway, take one of them and possibly drop either degree if you decide one way or the other

Miss Winey

HSC
who knows what they want to do for the REST OF THE THEIR LIVES when they're still in high school?

I'm suggesting don't think too hard about it. If you enjoy engineering and science
then try to get into the double degree.
Decide as you go what you enjoy.
Opportunities will open if you are good at what you do and you love it.

The end.

arjungamer123

HSC
I'd say go for engineering and make physics your off-work passion.

I.e:

Do an engineering degree undergrad, work for a while as an engineer, build up some savings, then do post grad physics(phD, Masters wont take you into research very often) and then go into research.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
Well to my knowledge, most science grads often take up positions in research. If you continue your education into post grad, opportunities might be more open. Theres always the option of becoming a lecturer/teacher! I guess managment roles are also an alternative (with sufficient qualifications that is).

P.S. engineering grad salaries are not all that great...around the 45k mark.
which is about the average salary of a physicist :p

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
this is the best i could find on physicist salaries:

PayScale Australia - Doctorate (PhD), Physics Degree Salary, Average Salaries

http://content.mycareer.com.au/salary-centre/scientific/research-development/australia

http://content.mycareer.com.au/salary-centre/scientific/scientist/australia

no idea how reliable they are. here are some stats on general engineering salaries (although it depends on your major):

PayScale Australia - Bachelor of Engineering (BE/BEng) Degree Salary, Average Salaries by Years Experience

Engineering Salary Information - Updated Weekly at MyCareer

engineers also have the opportunity to move into management positions in later years:

Management and Supervisory Salary Information at MyCareer

Project Management Salary Information at MyCareer

i would imagine working as a research physicist would require a PhD, and would be much more competitive than engineering, but if you're good you'll probably be able to get paid well after some years experience. my advice to you would be to study a combined degree in engineering and physics if youre worried about pay. this greatly broadens your career prospects anyway, and will guarentee a secure job. the downside however is that it takes 2 years longer to complete.
Good post and good advice.

КГБ

Banned
HSC
this is the best i could find on physicist salaries:

PayScale Australia - Doctorate (PhD), Physics Degree Salary, Average Salaries

Australia Research and Development Salary Information at MyCareer

Australia Scientist Salary Information at MyCareer

no idea how reliable they are. here are some stats on general engineering salaries (although it depends on your major):

PayScale Australia - Bachelor of Engineering (BE/BEng) Degree Salary, Average Salaries by Years Experience

Engineering Salary Information - Updated Weekly at MyCareer

engineers also have the opportunity to move into management positions in later years:

Management and Supervisory Salary Information at MyCareer

Project Management Salary Information at MyCareer

i would imagine working as a research physicist would require a PhD, and would be much more competitive than engineering, but if you're good you'll probably be able to get paid well after some years experience. my advice to you would be to study a combined degree in engineering and physics if youre worried about pay. this greatly broadens your career prospects anyway, and will guarentee a secure job. the downside however is that it takes 2 years longer to complete.
absolute fail.

MonkEE

HSC
N/A
"Do what others don't."
It was once a slogan by Sony.
People will pay you for unique talent. Do physics and go study into nano technology maybe.

Rebuilding America's Job Machine - BusinessWeek
A guy who runs a nano technology research centre makes 600k per year. He is a machine.

Joel8945

HSC
"Do what others don't."
It was once a slogan by Sony.
People will pay you for unique talent. Do physics and go study into nano technology maybe.

Rebuilding America's Job Machine - BusinessWeek
A guy who runs a nano technology research centre makes 600k per year. He is a machine.
I like that slogan!

600k per year is a salary I would only dream of achieving! If I could get up to $150'k' per year I would be very happy!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)