Physics Band 6 (1 Viewer)

Scheldor

HSC
My First Thread ^^
So the school I go to is pretty horrible at Physics. We got 1 band 6 three years ago, I think. But that's about it. Its because our teacher is horrible at the subject and is basically learning it as we are learning it. I was wondering how difficult it would be to be a band 6. I'm willing to put consistent effort during the holidays and throughout the year. Is getting an exam mark of 92-94 difficult becuause that's what I'm aiming for.

barbernator

HSC
you will have to come 1st in your year to have a chance at 92-94.

The top 5-6% of the state get 92+, so that's what you're looking at. It is definitely possible, but you're going to need to know the concepts back to front and practice how to answer questions extremely stringently.

2xL

HSC
My First Thread ^^
So the school I go to is pretty horrible at Physics. We got 1 band 6 three years ago, I think. But that's about it. Its because our teacher is horrible at the subject and is basically learning it as we are learning it. I was wondering how difficult it would be to be a band 6. I'm willing to put consistent effort during the holidays and throughout the year. Is getting an exam mark of 92-94 difficult becuause that's what I'm aiming for.
To put it short, yes it is difficult, but with work you'll get out what you put in. Best of luck OP. Dedicate yourself.

deswa1

HSC
I'll be 100% honest, if you know your content, a 92 is very possible. Once you're in the band 6 territory, HSC science becomes a game-> if you learn how to answer questions well so the markers can't dock you, you can walk into the HSC and be expecting a high mark because YOU ALREADY KNOW THE QUESTIONS, they are all in the syllabus pretty much (except for the occasional curveball).

Obviously though this all depends on you-> some will get 92 very easily, others never will but if you put in the effort, I reckon you can hit it. Good luck =) (and obviously you'll need to top your school)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
you will have to come 1st in your year to have a chance at 92-94.

The top 5-6% of the state get 92+, so that's what you're looking at. It is definitely possible, but you're going to need to know the concepts back to front and practice how to answer questions extremely stringently.
It's more around top ~3%, top 1% is 94 - according to UAC scaling documents.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'll be 100% honest, if you know your content, a 92 is very possible. Once you're in the band 6 territory, HSC science becomes a game-> if you learn how to answer questions well so the markers can't dock you, you can walk into the HSC and be expecting a high mark because YOU ALREADY KNOW THE QUESTIONS, they are all in the syllabus pretty much (except for the occasional curveball).

Obviously though this all depends on you-> some will get 92 very easily, others never will but if you put in the effort, I reckon you can hit it. Good luck =) (and obviously you'll need to top your school)
Definitely the bolded - I got 93 but I didn't know all the tricks to HSC (I knew *some*, though) - I knew how to answer pretty much every question in an exam and on BOS but I kept getting some marks taken off for strange reasons.

Last edited:

yoyo6

HSC
I memorised half of Quanta to Quarks content on the morning of the HSC exam and got 93. It's not hard-little understanding is involved. I had never seen the content before, i just memorised what the dotpoints wanted.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Its definitely possible. Don't worry too much about your school's previous marks - its up to the individual what mark they get so provided you work for it and put the effort in, you could definitely get that 92-94 you want :) I'd say try and master the concepts involved, and work on past papers and perfecting your answers to what the BOS is looking for. Best of luck!

RishBonjour

HSC
OP, i can completely relate to you. Our school physics equipment should be in the museum. Our ammeters/voltmeters don't work.
But really, year 12 is all you. With all due respect to my physics teacher (funniest guy), we didn't really learn anything the whole year (also partly because my whole class didn't really care about physics). had to learn things ourselves before trials.
I still managed a 92, so you can definitely do it!

Bearman

HSC
sure it's possible but you'll definitely have to come first and you'll need to both know the syllabus extremely well and know how to structure your answers to questions

Scheldor

HSC
Thanks for the feedback guys. After seeing that 5% get 92+, I'm going to be realistic and aim for a mid - high band 5. So I've been playing around with atar calculators and I realised that my goal of 95 ATAR doesn't necessarily require a band 6 in physics. It seems that a mark of around 87-88 would be perfect for me. (I hope that a higher percentage of students get this sort of mark). Because I'm extremely confident in 3U/4U math, adv english, and eco (sorry if that sound kinda cocky but i got great teachers and good rank), I feel that a high band 5 in physics wont drastically affect me as it seems to scale very well. Plus we've got this one really good guy in our physics class, who seems to be the only hope for a band 6. So at best, I'd be ranked second.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)