physics/Chem final prep (1 Viewer)

CalumGemmell

HSC
Does anyone here do longer response/option first and leave MC and short answer for the end? Wondering how effective it may be compared to planning everything out the khorne way

CalumGemmell

HSC
I need some advice, should I do as a priority past papers or memorise the long content questions???
I've been doing mostly past papers as a priority (about 60-70% study time) and revising notes the rest of the time. If you know your stuff you wont need to memorise long content questions. Doing some of the online MC may also help, they are quite good for basic calculation type questions.

jbrunero

HSC
Thanks :) yeah i just need to memorise my longer questions for my option (shipwrecks) and go over the dot points about batteries, biopolymer and what not. I am pretty sweet with the calculations.

CalumGemmell

HSC
Thanks :) yeah i just need to memorise my longer questions for my option (shipwrecks) and go over the dot points about batteries, biopolymer and what not. I am pretty sweet with the calculations.
Nice, good luck dude!

1981Grant

HSC
Hey Guys.
For people doing chem, I would suggest to you not to change your exam strategy now, just do it how you've always done it you don't want to get all 'panicky' when you change styles or something. Personally I would recommend getting the multiple choice out of the way first and then doing the paper logically, planning for questions that are worth more than 3 marks, remembering to put equations in your answers, etc.

For studying, I would be doing past papers instead of summarising notes. This is because summarising notes is just a way to procrastinate from doing actual study. The more questions you can do in past papers the more you can learn your weaknesses and strengths. This can be effective once you realise what you're missing in your study. I've found going through the specimen questions of books like Success can help, even just going through several HSC questions and just scanning them to see what you can and can't do.

Hope this helps, good luck.

weirdguy99

HSC
N/A
Hey Guys.
For people doing chem, I would suggest to you not to change your exam strategy now, just do it how you've always done it you don't want to get all 'panicky' when you change styles or something. Personally I would recommend getting the multiple choice out of the way first and then doing the paper logically, planning for questions that are worth more than 3 marks, remembering to put equations in your answers, etc.
I just do my tests from first page to last and it usually takes around 1.5 hours. I don't see the point of doing multiple choice last or whatever, since I do them during 'inspection' and reading time, hehe.

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
Does anyone here do longer response/option first and leave MC and short answer for the end? Wondering how effective it may be compared to planning everything out the khorne way
The Khorne way is the good way. I used to do it for biology and got 95%+ everytime. Since I've stopped I've been gertting mid-80s. So, I'm doing it for this chem exam.
But really do whatever suits you.

Doctorwhoislike

HSC
N/A
completing papers in the order in which they are given seems to work the best in my experience - always produced good results as long as you've studied the best you could!

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
I wish I had the people here's enthusiasm and confidence with chemistry and physics. All I can say about it is that I am royally screwed for them, especially chemistry. There's too many concepts to memorise and they don't stick in my mind at all and I've had a terrible teacher for physics for the past year so we didn't learn anything. And I have Extension English tomorrow so I can't start studying for the two just yet.

This is probably a long shot, but can anyone who's been in a similar position to mine help me with study tactics? Should I be re-reading my textbook, summarising notes or doing past papers? I'm in desperate need of help!

HSC
hey guys, just a quick check, with calculations how many sig figs are you meant to use? the smallest amounts used in the question? or is it something else :S it's one of those small areas where I lose marks :S

roryclifford

HSC
hey guys, just a quick check, with calculations how many sig figs are you meant to use? the smallest amounts used in the question? or is it something else :S it's one of those small areas where I lose marks :S
Pretty sure the smallest amount in the question, but that's not 100%, someone might cut that down haha.

Another question, do you do a line of best fit or a curve of best fit on graphs? I am never sure so also lose silly marks

silence--

HSC
it depends on what variables you are graphing.

for something like AAS calibration curves there is theoretically a linear relationship between concentration and absorbance so you draw a line.

for something like fermentation / mass decrease, the rate of mass decrease wont always be constant (it will decrease over time) so you would draw a curve.

also i think sig figs are the smallest in question (but im not sure, these little details always trip me up tbh)

jamesfirst

HSC
The Khorne way is the good way. I used to do it for biology and got 95%+ everytime. Since I've stopped I've been gertting mid-80s. So, I'm doing it for this chem exam.
But really do whatever suits you.
You dont even do bio or chem ...

jamesfirst

HSC
Is it better to know meissner effect or eddy current method thingy for the magnetic levitation ???

They are different shit but I was taught to talk about the opposing magnetic field due to the current in the superconductor. But meissner effect sounds more pro

roryclifford

HSC
Is it better to know meissner effect or eddy current method thingy for the magnetic levitation ???

They are different shit but I was taught to talk about the opposing magnetic field due to the current in the superconductor. But meissner effect sounds more pro
Isn't the Meisner effect the repulsion of the magnetic field because of the opposing magnetic field haha?
So they are the same, always mention meisner? Wow I need to review physics a bit more

And ahk so depends on what you are graphing, makes sense, and they trip me up as well, the little things (lost 4 marks in phys trial for forgetting direction of force and velocity arggg)

jamesfirst

HSC
Isn't the Meisner effect the repulsion of the magnetic field because of the opposing magnetic field haha?
So they are the same, always mention meisner? Wow I need to review physics a bit more

And ahk so depends on what you are graphing, makes sense, and they trip me up as well, the little things (lost 4 marks in phys trial for forgetting direction of force and velocity arggg)
No. It's when the ceramic reaches its superconducting state due to the critical temperature and all the magnetic field that permeates inside the body is expelled, causing the magnetic to levitate as the magnetic field is force to surround the ceramic rather than penetrate through it.

roryclifford

HSC
No. It's when the ceramic reaches its superconducting state due to the critical temperature and all the magnetic field that permeates inside the body is expelled, causing the magnetic to levitate as the magnetic field is force to surround the ceramic rather than penetrate through it.
Oh right, so it's magnetic expulsion of ceramic S. C'ers whereas magnetic levitation of metal superconductors is explained by Lenz's law of opposing magnetic fields?

Definitely going to be cramming physics after chem lol

abc123yoyo

HSC
I have a chemistry question, for the syllabus dotpoint that says:
Identify data, select equipment, plan and perform a first-hand investigation to compare the rate of corrosion of iron ad an identified form of steel.

Would the independent variable be the time for the rust to occur or the the use of pure iron and stainless steel (for example)?

Oh yeah this is shipwrecks btw

Last edited:

HyperComplexxx

ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
HSC
I have a chemistry question, for the syllabus dotpoint that says:
Identify data, select equipment, plan and perform a first-hand investigation to compare the rate of corrosion of iron ad an identified form of steel.

Would the independent variable be the time for the rust to occur or the the use of pure iron and stainless steel (for example)?

Oh yeah this is shipwrecks btw

Idenpdent variable is what you are changing
Dependent is what you are measuring as a result of changing
So Independet would be different metal, iron and stainlesssteel

HSC
i'm going for the khorne way tbh

i think strategically it's better and you sort of get the initial nerves out of the way which seem to stuff me up in *every* subject

is anyone willing to help me with the 2 dot points on AAS :s my knowledge is really limited AAS-wise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)