Physics scores being very low? (1 Viewer)

emilios

HSC
moral of the lesson kiddies: don't pick HSC sciences.

very happy for the guy at my school (~rank 300) who was coming 1st in Physics - pulled a 93 exam mark which he of course ended up keeping. Guy coming 3rd had 92/91 as his exam/assessment split. i know another person got a 91 externally but was pulled down by their ranking.

now for me... i was ranked 2nd. i had been working hard in physics all year. i thought i had everything covered. after the exam i did realise i had made quite a few mistakes, which added up to about 8-10 marks worth (!). nonetheless, high 70s raw aligns to 90 HSC mark, so i should've still been ok right?

84 exam mark, 92 assessment mark. dun goofed lol. praise the lord for 12 units.

i've been hearing an overwhelming complaint against physics this year amongst all the people i've spoken to

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I know these feels. Last year our school got 2 band 6s in the total year i.e. two kids got one band 6 each and that was it (and it was Drama which was done via distance education LOLOLOLOL). The highest ATAR was 86. The Deputy Principal (she my bae) was ecstatic about my results.
Oh my gosh your school must be in love with you. Those marks are even more ridiculously impressive in a 600 school. Seriously congratulations

iStudent

HSC

very happy for the guy at my school (~rank 300) who was coming 1st in Physics - pulled a 93 exam mark which he of course ended up keeping. Guy coming 3rd had 92/91 as his exam/assessment split. i know another person got a 91 externally but was pulled down by their ranking.

now for me... i was ranked 2nd. i had been working hard in physics all year. i thought i had everything covered. after the exam i did realise i had made quite a few mistakes, which added up to about 8-10 marks worth (!). nonetheless, high 70s raw aligns to 90 HSC mark, so i should've still been ok right?

i've been hearing an overwhelming complaint against physics this year amongst all the people i've spoken to
I agree. HSC sciences suck. It's so unpredictable and risky in a sense.
Choose humanities (especially economics) :D (and the only 'curveball' would be the extended response - which isn't really a curveball because you can prepare for it!).
If you do choose to do HSC sciences, just pray that everything goes to plan - if it doesn't then I hope you did 12 units!

pheelx3

l33t
HSC
I've asked hurlstoners... thier cohort was amazing

If anyone from hurlstone is here CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG

but i heard that rank 56 still got 90/100 assessment mark...

What the fuck.

emilios

HSC
Choose humanities (especially economics) :D (and the only 'curveball' would be the extended response - which isn't really a curveball because you can prepare for it!).
If you do choose to do HSC sciences, just pray that everything goes to plan - if it doesn't then I hope you did 12 units!
omg you're living proof of this. congratulations on your eco state rank! remember you telling me that you basically just crammed for that exam haha gg wp

braintic

HSC
N/A
There are 6.7% fewer top bands in Physics this year.
Assuming the same number of candidates as last year (and I don't know the number), that would reduce the band 6 cutoff from top 9.2% to top 8.6%.
While significant, that is hardly as drastic as has been suggested.

But who actually cares? The alignment does not affect ATAR scaling.

Mikasa

HSC
Wouldn't recommend choosing eco and stuff like that unless you really like the subject , though[emoji53] the more you enjoy the sub, the more effort you'll probs put into it.

emilios

HSC
There are 6.7% fewer top bands in Physics this year.
Assuming the same number of candidates as last year (and I don't know the number), that would reduce the band 6 cutoff from top 9.2% to top 8.6%.
While significant, that is hardly as drastic as has been suggested.

But who actually cares? The alignment does not affect ATAR scaling.
eh not a good feeling seeing a b5 when it's one of the subjects you've dedicated the most time to all year and everything else is a b6

braintic

HSC
N/A
eh not a good feeling seeing a b5 when it's one of the subjects you've dedicated the most time to all year and everything else is a b6
Which is why they should do away completely with the concept of bands. It is a concept that serves no purpose, especially given the whimsical way the cutoffs are decided, and gives people a meaningless target.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Similar thing happened to me for Physics. Indeed, ''praise the lord for 12 units'' (thank god I kept both Business Studies and Economics back in Year 12).

Really illustrates how the ''if you're confident in your 10 units, why have a back-up?'' argument isn't always correct for quite a few people, especially with the unpredictable nature of Physics and Chemistry.

I mean the scaling of Physics and Chemistry are indeed beneficial, if you do well, but I think students should realise that both subjects are marked to very strict standards (relative to the social sciences or history subjects). I'm a firm believer that the humanities tend to reward ''effort'' and ''hard work'' more often than the sciences (but I'm probably biased here). If you could get a much higher HSC mark in the humanities, it's still better in the end because the scaling edge of the sciences won't be enough.

Advice to any future HSCers - Please don't mindlessly do the Physics and Chemistry combo (or the ''Asian 4'' to an extent) if you know your strengths lie elsewhere. However, if science is your strong suit, by all means go ahead.

pheelx3

l33t
HSC
Really illustrates how the ''if you're confident in your 10 units, why have a back-up?'' argument isn't always correct for quite a few people, especially with the unpredictable nature of Physics and Chemistry.

I mean the scaling of Physics and Chemistry are indeed beneficial, if you do well, but I think students should realise that both subjects are marked to very strict standards (relative to the social sciences or history subjects). I'm a firm believer that the humanities tend to reward ''effort'' and ''hard work'' more often than the sciences (but I'm probably biased here). If you could get a much higher HSC mark in the humanities, it's still better in the end because the scaling edge of the sciences won't be enough.

Advice to any future HSCers - Please don't mindlessly do the Physics and Chemistry combo (or the ''Asian 4'' to an extent) if you know your strengths lie elsewhere. However, if science is your strong suit, by all means go ahead.
no one told me that. lol
but then i dont see myself getting higher in eco thank my... 92 for phys lol. :(
hopefully 92 scales into a decent aggregate...

D94

HSC
N/A
2013 school rank: 28
Internal rank: 3rd
Hsc mark: 86 (84 exam, 88 internal)
Well phs has always done badly in the sciences compared to pretty much all other faculties. Not great for comparing with other schools, even if the range has decreased.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Well phs has always done badly in the sciences compared to pretty much all other faculties. Not great for comparing with other schools, even if the range has decreased.
Last year must have been an exception then. There was something like 10 Band 6's in Physics last year.

D94

HSC
N/A
Last year must have been an exception then. There was something like 10 Band 6's in Physics last year.
It's all very relative. All other faculties maintain similar performances but sciences are quite inconsistent. 2013 was probably the best cohort in the previous 6 years.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
It's all very relative. All other faculties maintain similar performances but sciences are quite inconsistent. 2013 was probably the best cohort in the previous 6 years.
True. I must say that is one very volatile faculty though.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
I previously stated that HSC Physics had less b6 than usual, but I was mistaken! It was on par with previous years.

All of my tutoring students except 1 which I was expecting to achieve band 6 got there, I had 2 others who I thought wouldn't, but they did (They were capable of it, but had quite low rank)

At my current school there were 3 b6, I was expecting 1-3.

So, pretty bang on for my liking

Last edited:

tyzzefloro

HSC
that is definitely correct 2013 for phs was our best. Also props to girraween who came 15th and received 22 band 6s in physics.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
that is definitely correct 2013 for phs was our best. Also props to girraween who came 15th and received 22 band 6s in physics.
I would like to take credit for 4 of those, cuz it's all me, their hard work had nothing to do with their success ;) All of my weeners got their b6 :) Surprised the markers could read Hitarths writing, lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)