Physiology: Good or Bad? (1 Viewer)

shakky

HSC
Hi,
I'm planning to do a BSc/BA next year at Usyd with a major in Physiology. I would like some general insight into the pro's and con's of the course, and what junior units are recommended when undertaking this major. I'm planning to do graduate medicine or pharmacy, so I guess either Physiology or Anatomy are my primary options.

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
Lolol I'm doing a BSc/BA and planning to do postgrad pharmacy. Weird.

Anyway you HAVE to do physiology for both those postgrad degrees, but I thought physiology sucked. The content itself was veeeery interesting, but the course is taught so so so so poorly. I got 50 and 52... just scraped passes. So many of my friends failed just because it is such a terrible course. You really need to study. Like A LOT.

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
Also, junior units. You need 30 junior CPs of science. You need to do maths, so that's 12, you should definitely do chemistry and biology (human biology in first sem, MBLG in second sem) and there's your 30 cp. If you want to do 50/50 science/arts you'll have to wait til third year to do second year physiology.

shakky

HSC
Wow, Thanks UncoKane. It sucks to hear the course is taught poorly, especially at a highly regarded uni like Sydney. My Dad also told me that Physiology was difficult and required a lot of time and determination. But I guess I have to do it, in order to do pharmacy and medicine. And is it easy juggling science and arts 50/50? or would you recommend another plan?

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't recommend doing what I did. I did 50/50 first year then overloaded 3/5 science 2/5 arts second year, overloaded 3/5 arts 2/5 science first semester third year then normal load 100% arts on exchange this semester.

Next year (last year) I'm overloading first sem 4/5 science 1/5 arts then underloading second semester 1/3 science 2/3 arts.

Worst. Plan. Ever. It just turned out like that though.

Becky222

Hmm..
HSC
Hey
I totally disagree about what is said above. Yes the physiology department isn't the most organised but i thought the content was interesting and the majority of the bodily systems taught within the unit were done very well. My friends and I are not geniuses by any means and we all did well, definitely not scraping by. The exam isn't worth much and there is continuous assessments during the year (in 2nd year) which i liked. I would probably say its my favourite subject and i would definitely recommend doing it!!

Rus-Chick

HSC
Hey im planning to do Physiology too. Do any of you think i can do Fundamental chemistry in first year as my junior chemistry CPs without doing the summer vacation course (in order to get intermediate chemistry). Im afraid that in order to do Physiology i will need to have intermediate chemistry.

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey im planning to do Physiology too. Do any of you think i can do Fundamental chemistry in first year as my junior chemistry CPs without doing the summer vacation course (in order to get intermediate chemistry). Im afraid that in order to do Physiology i will need to have intermediate chemistry.
Have you even read the requirements first? Physiology requires only 6 cp of JUNIOR chemistry and 30 cp of other JUNIOR science.

Last edited:

Rus-Chick

HSC
Have you even read the requirements first? Physiology requires only 6 cp of JUNIOR chemistry and 30 cp of other JUNIOR science.
So in order to do physiology it's fine to do FUNDAMENTAL CHEMISTRY and not going to summer vacation lessons, right???

shakky

HSC
The advisor told me that fundamentals should be fine for physiology, but she seemed quite uncertain. I would contact the physiology department. However I'm sticking with normal units because of GAMSAT.

Becky222

Hmm..
HSC
Hey, i did fundamentals of chemistry first year and physiology both semesters second year and am now majoring in physiology third year :) Your not going to have a problem

Rus-Chick

HSC
Hey, i did fundamentals of chemistry first year and physiology both semesters second year and am now majoring in physiology third year :) Your not going to have a problem
Ohhh really that's great news cuz i don't really want to keep on studying even during summer vacation as im lazy haha. BTW does most second yr units needs INTERMEDIATE CHEMISTRY?

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Ohhh really that's great news cuz i don't really want to keep on studying even during summer vacation as im lazy haha. BTW does most second yr units needs INTERMEDIATE CHEMISTRY?
Intermediate chem is only required if you are going to do senior chem or if your course rules say so (special streams/courses).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)