Physiotherapy - Assumed Knowledge! (1 Viewer)

blueberrybuny3

HSC
Hey, I've just finished my HSC this year and have thoughts of becoming a Physiotherapist at Usyd. My ATAR is above last year's cut-off so there shouldn't be a problem in being offered a spot, hopefully.

However, the Assumed Knowledge for this course includes Chemistry and Physics. I've studied Chemistry but did not undertake the Physics course. This is causing a bit of a problem since I'm unsure of how demanding the Physics content is in the course.

So my question is, to the people who are undertaking or have finished the course, do you recommend the bridging course for Physics?
Or do you think one can manage the course without having much foundation on Physics content?

Note: I undertook Extension 2 Maths and a part of the course did include a section drawing upon some Physics concepts. Don't know if this helps =/

Keen for any opinions!

garrry

HSC
hey i also just recently finished the HSC and i did both chem and physics (got a higher mark in chem)
physics is quite different to chemistry and i would also say its harder
this is because the concepts in physics are harder to understand and apply than the ones in chem
well i found that to be the case anyway
u could get away with not doing the bridging course as all of the HSC course may not be relevant to physio eg the "space" topic
so maybe u could get away with doing the relevant stuff at home in ur free time in the hols

blueberrybuny3

HSC
Thanks for your reply garrry! Yea, some of my friends found Physics a lot more difficult to handle than Chemistry where many of them scored much higher in Chemistry than Physics. I see what you mean by not all topics may be relevant to Physiotherapy, however I'm just worried that my foundation won't be enough. I'm also planning to start on some self study on Physics and see how I can handle the concepts, since during the MX2 course some of the Physics concepts, like you stated, took longer to understand and apply.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're honestly worried about not having the assumed knowledge behind you, check out the actual course program outline where you can look at individual units/classes. Even so, the first few lectures in the first week go through the very basics (just a lot faster than high school) and you'll be able to keep up with the rest.

If you feel totally screwed, find a tutor.

blueberrybuny3

HSC
Thanks, I've just looked at the individual units separately and found some Physics concepts. I hope some self learning during these holidays can meet the standards required for the course!

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks, I've just looked at the individual units separately and found some Physics concepts. I hope some self learning during these holidays can meet the standards required for the course!
Post a link to the course outline (or units list) and I might be able to help you on what you could possibly read up on so that you don't feel so incompetent compared to those who have some knowledge of HSC Physics. But, in all honesty, I don't think a knowledge of HSC Physics will give any students too much advantage of others (like you) who have no knowledge of the course.

SSRabbitohs2009

28:06:42:12
HSC
I did B Exercise & Sport Science @ USYD last year, and we basically did the same Semester 1 classes as Physio kids-- there's Biomechanics in first semester that we both sit, but its assumed that no-one has much or any physics background and they teach you all the fundamental principles right from the beginning.

gapathetic

HSC
I finished 3 years of physio with no HSC physics background at all. I went to the physics bridging course but it was a total waste of money cos nothing u learnt in the bridging course was needed for physio. I think the bridging course is more useful for people doing radiation etc. So dont worry. I dont think it is even necessary for you to study physics in the holidays cos all the physics that you're going to do in biomechanics is drawing & adding/subtracting vectors. Maybe just study that?

physio

HSC
N/A
Hey Guys,

Im selling near new textbooks for year one Physio, Ex.Sp.Sc., and Health Science. at USYD.
I designed a quick website for ease.

http://usyd.weebly.com/

The prices are ALOT CHEAPER than in the book shop

Coldwar36

HSC
Would one be able to manage the course without having done the HSC chemistry course?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)