Physiotherapy at USYD or UWS? (1 Viewer)

aldrizzle

HSC
USYD - Bachelor of Applied Science (Physiotherapy)
UWS - Bachelor of Health Science/Master of Physiotherapy

Having a bit of a dilemma at the moment. I don't know which uni to go to for physiotherapy. USYD is apparently the 'better' uni what with it's reputation and all but UWS seems to give more out of it's course with it's double degree and master. However, i'm concerned employers will be prejudice against UWS and prefer those who went to city universities. Which course/uni should i go to for physiotherapy?

Dylanamali

HSC
if you can get into both, i'm presuming that your ATAR is 98ish.. if so, go UWS coz of the 5k/yr scholarship =)

Dylanamali

HSC
Hi, in the long term don't worry about the scholarships that uws give out. Unless you are doing medicine, where at Uws it is shorter, if you are able to get into the same course at UNSW, Usyd or Uts, take that option. I got a call from uws last week offering a scholarship but for me its just not worth it, the 20 or 50k you save now will be a lot harder to recoup with a uws degree. One thing about Uws however is they are proactive so good luck to them.
do you really think that there will be a future 20 to 50,000 dollar discriminant in the salaries owned by a UWS graduate and a USYD graduate.. I highly doubt that =/

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
If I were you, I would just pick the Uni that is closest to me. Employers won't look at your resume and think 'Ohhh he came from UWS... REJECTED!'

They would much rather an Honours student from UWS than a normal Graduate from USYD.

But since I come from USYD, I am obliged to say that USYD > all etc etc.

l1350

HSC
do you really think that there will be a future 20 to 50,000 dollar discriminant in the salaries owned by a UWS graduate and a USYD graduate.. I highly doubt that =/
Over 2 or so years yes, easily. One thing I should add is that you may have more luck in Physio than say a science or law degree. I am just going on my sister and her cohorts experience. She and some of her friends did Adv Sci at Unsw, Usyd and Uws. The Unsw, Usyd grads all honours found work straight out of Uni, in fact most had offers before they graduated,the Uws lot, honours again, are back at Uni doing the M/Teach add on. Most of them couldn't even get interviews. Easy way to look at it is look at the variety of papers on offer for Sci etc and compare with Uws, like I said a narrow degree like physio may work OK.

Ryan_T90

HSC
If you are offered a scholarship at UWS, go to UWS. Also, if UWS is the closest university, go to it. Yes, Sydney University has the better reputation but at the end of the day, you won't be looked down upon by employers, especially employers in hospitals. What 'l1350' said is utter bullshit. They aren't going to say "Oh, you went to UWS so we're going to offer you a lesser wage".
Also, from what I have heard UWS has a very strong Physiotherapy department. It is very clinical and the lecturers are a lot more approachable.

Although, I may tend to agree with 'l1350' in the idea that it would be easier to find a job as a Law graduate from the University of Sydney compared to UWS, however, in regards to Physio, I don't believe that is the case.

l1350

HSC
I agree with you, I would think Physiotherapy at Uws would not make much of a difference for future prospects. Best way I can put it is this: If you meet two high school kids, one is from james ruse, the other from a non-selective public school, without any other information what would the majority of peoples impression of each be? Fair or not the same goes for Usyd/UNsw v Uws. Remember employers do not get results or marks, they get a resume and before you can get the job you have to get the interview so first impressions count.

l1350

HSC
I agree with you, I would think Physiotherapy at Uws would not make much of a difference for future prospects. Best way I can put it is this: If you meet two high school kids, one is from james ruse, the other from a non-selective public school, without any other information what would the majority of peoples impression of each be? Fair or not the same goes for Usyd/UNsw v Uws. Remember employers do not get results or marks, they get a resume and before you can get the job you have to get the interview so first impressions count.
Also my replies should only be read in the context aldrizzles first question of whether employers may discriminate and they do. I would love to go to Uws, I have the 20k scholarship I live 5mins down the road but in my opinion for my long term future I will be going to UNSW or USyd, with all the travel, and only a deans scholarship covering 1st year.

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
Also my replies should only be read in the context aldrizzles first question of whether employers may discriminate and they do. I would love to go to Uws, I have the 20k scholarship I live 5mins down the road but in my opinion for my long term future I will be going to UNSW or USyd, with all the travel, and only a deans scholarship covering 1st year.
Physio is (from what I've heard) an amazingly fun degree. =) But you are hard-pressed after graduation for jobs since the hospital only takes so many and private is ofc very competitive. USYD may be a better choice than UWS for the apparent 'prestige'. IMO it's just a fascade to overlook any 'possible' decline in standards.

Saying that, you have a scholarship and live close to your uni. Another thing to consider is that you will probably have to go to further education. Once you do that, your uni just becomes irrelevant. Just another "B. Physiotherapy".

If I were you, I would choose UWS and try and get honours.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)