Picking up 4 unit? (1 Viewer)

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
For a person picking up 4 unit in year 12 and currently doing 2-3 unit maths, is there any recommendations that anyone can give if someone is unsure about picking up 4 unit? I feel that the 2-3 course is moving quite slowly, and if i am to pick up 4 unit in year 12, i would have to handle harder intergration (4 unit topic) when i havent even learnt (2 unit) intergration in year 11. For those currently doing 4 unit, would that become a problem for anyone doing 2-3 unit course this year?

P

pLuvia

Usually schools don't learn integration until they have started the year 12 course. And 4u integration isn't that much harder when you learn the 2/3u integration.
And if you pick up 4u maths, and your school hasn't learnt any of the topics, they will briefly teach you the basics so then you can move on.
For you at this moment just focus on getting into the 4unit classes, because it's very worthwhile. Also don't listen to rumours that it's heaps harder than 3u maths.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
When I was in Yr 11 I wasnt too sure if I was up to doing 4u, but decided to give it a go.

The best thing about it is that it makes 3u work seem so easy, just like how in yr11 you guys are finding the 2u work easy compared to the 3u.

It is not necessarily harder, but just different, because you need to be on top of all your maths all the time because things like calculus and trig pop up heaps. But this is good because it means you are practising old topics all the time and when it comes to revision time you'll be more confident.

So give it a go and I guarantee you won't regret it. :)

bboyelement

HSC
just give it a go ... its not that hard i dont think ... its more about managing work load because if you pick up 4unit you have to do a lot of work or you wont understand anything ... plus one more thing to remember revise frequently ... keep doing questions over and over again ... for me, i kinda forget things really quickly especially when you are doing 4 unit of maths ... and if you ever find something hard... do it over and over again ... like myself when i first did conics ... i felt like dropping 4 unit maths ... but now i find it easy,

H

housemouse

Only pick up 4 unit if your marks are decent, ask your coordinator as to what is decent because from what ive seen many school marks differ.

And 4 unit imo is harder than 3 unit although less calculator work..

Riviet

HSC
N/A
4 unit is basically harder 3 unit, including harder integration, harder polynomials, conics, which is sought of an extension of the parabola/parametrics topic. There's also mechanics, which is basically harder 3 unit motion, and an actual harder 3 unit topic, which consists of smaller sub-topics like harder circle geometry, inequalities and mathematical induction.

c0okies

HSC
give it a go; four unit is worth your try => scaling, makes 3unit so much easier, makes maths a bit more interesting

A l

HSC
N/A
In regards to the course itself, it is not exactly totally different from the Mathematics Extension 1 course. A lot of Mathematics Extension 2 is basically an extension of the Mathematics Extension 1 course. For example, Conics extends some of the topics in Parametric representation of functions while Mechanics extends from Applications of calculus to the physical world. There is even a set topic called Harder Extension 1 topics. However, there are some unfamiliar concepts that will be found in the course such as notation of i in Complex numbers and implicit differentiation in Graphs. The topics studied in the Mathematics Extension 2 course are:
1. Graphs
2. Complex Numbers
3. Conics
4. Integration
5. Volumes
6. Mechanics
7. Polynomials
8. Harder Extension 1 Topics
Most of the topics that require background knowledge from the Mathematics Extension 1 course such as Integration, Mechanics, Polynomials and of course Harder Extension 1 topics are generally taught later in the course so that students can learn the foundations required during the Mathematics Extension 1 course beforehand.
The Mathematics Extension 2 course is designed for students with a talent and interest in Mathematics, especially if they wish to take advanced mathematics in their tertiary studies. Therefore, I would only recommend taking Mathematics Extension 2 if you have strong background knowledge and accomplished skills in Mathematics. It is through this measure that I believe would determine the amount of commitment placed onto the course and whether or not you will perform well in the course. Your performance in Mathematics Extension 1 is often a good indicator of how you will go if you were to take the Mathematics Extension 2 course. However, with that being said, on the contrary, I myself am somehow performing better (in terms of ranks) in Mathematics Extension 2 than Mathematics Extension 1....

Raginsheep

HSC
If you find maths interesting or plan on taking maths further once in uni, you should really attempt extension two.

GaganDeep

fffff
HSC
lol i was doing shit in 3unit maths in prelim, i never really tried. my tutor told me 2 to drop down, but just to piss him off, i did 4u. lol it's not that hard, until you do mechaics and harder 3unit, some conics is really hard.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Raginsheep said:
If you find maths interesting or plan on taking maths further once in uni, you should really attempt extension two.
Eventhough he does commerce, he speaks the truth.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I've heard maths first year first semester is a cakewalk if you've done extension 2 maths in high school.

Raginsheep

HSC
sikeveo said:
Eventhough he does commerce, he speaks the truth.
Dude, besides my maths major, I also do actuarial studies(= more maths) for my second major....

Riviet said:
I've heard maths first year first semester is a cakewalk if you've done extension 2 maths in high school.
Sources? I did ext2 and I assure you its no cakewalk. Not impossible but you definatly need to put in some effort.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
It was one of my cousins who told me, but after thinking about it, he's a bit of a maths nerd, so I guess he would have found it easy.

Raginsheep

HSC
Also could depend on what math course hes doing. Im pretty sure he's exaggerating (if only just a little) though...

sasquatch

HSC
Yeah 4 unit maths really does help out with 3 unit... Its funny though... in year 11 i was doing 3 unit..and my marks for 2 unit were 100% for the first two tests...where my 3 unit marks were in the 80s.. now that i picked 4 unit my 3 unit marks went up to 100% for the first two tests... And dont worry about integration its pretty easy, and so far 4 unit integration seems easy aswell.

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
lol i woudlnt mind picking up 4 unit. but its the fact i have to drop a subject in order to pick it up. so if i end up stuffing up 4 unit maths, and i drop it, i would end up with 11units and therefore agriculture (compulsory subject) will count and considering im not so keen on ag, it might pose a problem.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
1st year uni maths is definitely made a lot easier with MX2, but it's still got its challenges.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)