Please don't roast my ranks [emoji813] (1 Viewer)

sida1049

HSC
I estimate within the 97-98 range. Well done!

I strongly recommend focus on improving 2U maths and physics as much as you can. If you can bring additional 5 raw marks into each of those subjects, your estimate would improve quite a bit. Despite what it may seem, MX1 is doing quite well for your ATAR, due to its ridiculous scaling (likely scaling the highest of all of your subjects with your current set of relative marks).

Good luck!

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I estimate within the 97-98 range. Well done!

I strongly recommend focus on improving 2U maths and physics as much as you can. If you can bring additional 5 raw marks into each of those subjects, your estimate would improve quite a bit. Despite what it may seem, MX1 is doing quite well for your ATAR, due to its ridiculous scaling (likely scaling the highest of all of your subjects with your current set of relative marks).

Good luck!
That sounds really generous! But thank you for your insight.

Definitely, I have been studying my ass off to try improve 2U Maths externals.

However I'm worried that my marks are average and my ranks are okay but there are quite a lot of really competitive and good candidates in my grade (for example, someone got overall 95/100 assessment mark for Physics) - so I don't think I really belong in the 97+ group??? This mindset applies to me in Extension 1 as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Around 95

But to get higher u need to improve physics for the HSC

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Updated with internal marks (can be redundant but still some insight???)

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Around 95

But to get higher u need to improve physics for the HSC
Thanks for the insight! Hopefully Physics external is like 2014 and back :) Found 2014 really good compared to trials but 2015 was quite a difficult one!

meDAawesome

HSC
I think you should do LAT regardless of your marks.

sida1049

HSC
That sounds really generous! But thank you for your insight.

Definitely, I have been studying my ass off to try improve 2U Maths externals.

However I'm worried that my marks are average and my ranks are okay but there are quite a lot of really competitive and good candidates in my grade (for example, someone got overall 95/100 assessment mark for Physics) - so I don't think I really belong in the 97+ group??? This mindset applies to me in Extension 1 as well!

To be honest I didn't even look at your ranks when I did the estimate. If you are doing alright but a whole lot of people are doing even better, then that's great news because they may pull you up (not worth relying on though). Competition within a cohort is usually indicative of strong academic results.

One example is of my cohort last year: we had 85 Advanced English students, and every year we only get a small handful (3-7) Band 6's. But since our grade was significantly more competitive that previous grades, we ended up having 12+. Similarly, every year we'd get typically 2 Band 6's in Economics. Last year, somehow, we had around 8/48, including a state ranker. Even though this is an anecdote, it goes to show that there really isn't a threshold within a grade for which one can say "yep, the 97 threshold is definitely from this student onwards". Getting 70s in physics and MX1, while there are students in the 90s who will obviously get estimates of 97+, will in no way exclude you from getting 97. Especially since scaling functions can be thought of as being logarithmic in growth; the higher you score, the less your ATAR equivalence rises (or in economics terms, analogous to the law of diminishing returns). So despite you are getting 70% for MX1, you, along with every single student scoring higher than you, are currently within 99+ ATAR equivalence for MX1 (trust me; I checked).

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
To be honest I didn't even look at your ranks when I did the estimate. If you are doing alright but a whole lot of people are doing even better, then that's great news because they may pull you up (not worth relying on though). Competition within a cohort is usually indicative of strong academic results.

One example is of my cohort last year: we had 85 Advanced English students, and every year we only get a small handful (3-7) Band 6's. But since our grade was significantly more competitive that previous grades, we ended up having 12+. Similarly, every year we'd get typically 2 Band 6's in Economics. Last year, somehow, we had around 8/48, including a state ranker. Even though this is an anecdote, it goes to show that there really isn't a threshold within a grade for which one can say "yep, the 97 threshold is definitely from this student onwards". Getting 70s in physics and MX1, while there are students in the 90s who will obviously get estimates of 97+, will in no way exclude you from getting 97. Especially since scaling functions can be thought of as being logarithmic in growth; the higher you score, the less your ATAR equivalence rises (or in economics terms, analogous to the law of diminishing returns). So despite you are getting 70% for MX1, you, along with every single student scoring higher than you, are currently within 99+ ATAR equivalence for MX1 (trust me; I checked).

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the information and advice! Regardless, I'm going to try my best to add to the pool of marks and hopefully get an awesome spread with the cohort :)!

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I think you should do LAT regardless of your marks.
I know! It's just a "strategy" - I either hit at entering it in 2017 or I keep attempting to transfer :) It also seemed like a good idea if I was speculated to be pretty competitive but thank you for your advice!!!

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

Hope this helps!
lol 78 in 3 unit maths going to 99 you must be a bit high or something.

sida1049

HSC
lol 78 in 3 unit maths going to 99 you must be a bit high or something.
99 ATAR equivalence: 70s raw in Extension 1 scales to 90 HSC reported mark, which in turn corresponds to a 99 ATAR equivalence. 40-50s raw in Extension 2 ends up corrsponding to 98+ ATAR equivalence.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
99 ATAR equivalence: 70s raw in Extension 1 scales to 90 HSC reported mark, which in turn corresponds to a 99 ATAR equivalence. 40-50s raw in Extension 2 ends up corrsponding to 98+ ATAR equivalence.
Extension 1 is out of 70 so a 70 raw would be 100%

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
I don't think you can get internal marks until the HSC is completed o: since every school is different, a 95/100 somewhere ranked 300+ would not be the same as a 90/100 in James Ruse. Internal marks only appear post-hsc as the total aggregate score needs to be compiled and then redistrubited among the basis of ranks.

But going from your ranks and also analysing the band 6's recieved previoulsy by your school, I'm estimating around 92~!

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Yeah I know my internal marks aren't accurate :D But they are the ones that get submitted for alignment/moderation whatever

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)