Please help me understand ranking (1 Viewer)

SharpeO2202

HSC
Hey,
I was really scared about how ranking works now that i know my ranks. I need an ATAR of 85 and my ranks are:
Biology - 2nd
Chemistry - 2nd
CAFS - 1st
Maths - 2nd
English - 6th
Is not coming first in every subject going to screw me over heaps?

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
If you don't come first in every subject you should prob just apply for tafe or something, no point wasting your time in school at this point

mikrokosmos

HSC
hey hun! you're doing really well <3 ranking that well in a cohort is a HUGE achievement.

how many students in your cohort? have you tried an atar calculator?

i think you can easily get 85+ but depends on your cohort. just make sure you at least come top 3 for all ur subjects. seems easy for you looking at your amazing ranks !!

https://www.hscninja.com/atar-calculator << you can put ur school in and itll base it off that. lmk how it goes <3

tito981

HSC
For your school there is probably no correlation between past year band 6's and this years due to the high rank of your school, so you will have to judge for yourself either by doing past papers and looking at raw marks info if you lie within the B5/6 range or making a judgement on your cohort and your position respective to that cohort.

nicolefa

HSC
Good Job on your ranks!

Here are some good ATAR calculators (websites bcos I can't add links) I've used to help you out!

Talent-100

Matrix

HSC Ninja

Hope that helps!

SharpeO2202

HSC
hey hun! you're doing really well <3 ranking that well in a cohort is a HUGE achievement.

how many students in your cohort? have you tried an atar calculator?

i think you can easily get 85+ but depends on your cohort. just make sure you at least come top 3 for all ur subjects. seems easy for you looking at your amazing ranks !!
Thank you so much, that really made me feel better. We have quite a small year probably about 50-60 kids. And ill make sure to check out the atar calculators (i didn't even know they were a thing) :). Again i really appreciate it

mikrokosmos

HSC
Thank you so much, that really made me feel better. We have quite a small year probably about 50-60 kids. And ill make sure to check out the atar calculators (i didn't even know they were a thing) :). Again i really appreciate it
no worries!! good luck w everything!

don't stress too much <3 there are many pathways into anything you wanna get into at uni :)

mikrokosmos

HSC
how ranks and scalings work is like this:

lets say you rank 1st in your cohort INSIDE school so for school exam ranks etc, that's your internal. in the HSC, your mark will get scaled to the 1st highest mark your cohort gets. even if you came 5th in the hsc, you would get the mark of the 1st person. you'll be fine x

^ this is how one of the teachers at my school explained it

maaax

HSC
N/A
Hey well done on your ranks! It seems like you're already on the right track 🤩

What degrees are you applying for that need 85? Is that the raw ATAR? You might also be eligible for bonus points that can boost your application. Also depending on your school, you might also be eligible for school specific programs like Gateway at UNSW. Definitely worth calling up the unis you're interested in applying for and seeing what schemes you might qualify for.

If you're looking for specific advice on different courses and how your rankings might place you, there are a few free HSC seminars coming up from Talent 100 that might be useful. They have ones for all the Science subjects, Maths and English that are run by experienced teachers who are also having Q&A sessions. Would definitely recommend! I went to the one by David Sadler last year and he was really good. You can sign up here! eventbrite.com.au/e/117820820245

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)