Poetry? (2 Viewers)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
About themes.... for my major work I think the theme (dance) has really given me a focus, but it's still broad enough to not be restricting.

It also helps when you don't know what to write..... you just search for something that relates to the theme and then you start to get more and more ideas.

I guess it just depends on what the theme is, how well you can relate to it, and how many ideas you can think up related to it.

Huy

HSC
N/A
that's exactly the direction i'm headed in,

my theme is 'life' (my life in particular)

but the focus is on NOW (hscs, adolescence)
so i'm not focusing on kids or 'grown-ups' :D

it's all about me ... Heheh

i'm looking at everything from highschool through to the hsc and everything that we've all experienced,

pretty groovy if you don't mind me saying so :)

miguel_fugdey

In The Closet (the broom closet, not the gay close
i'm extremely curious about your 'dance poetry' ash...it sounds fantastic, i'd like to read some of it some day (pm me?)

yeah i dont know how people can spend 6 months on something they arent passionate about - and the only thing im passionate about is ME! so ME! it is....i just try to make it more subtle than:

Me, me me
its all me can't you see!

pehaps better structured too :p

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
I don't know if my teacher is just trying to discourage me or if he's only trying to help me from getting myself into too much trouble.
But all he's been doing is continuously (if not passionately) saying that poetry is really hard to do. He even went as far as to say that it's second to film.

He's not exactly saying it to my face all the time. In fact, he said it to the class too but I'm the only one doing poetry and I can't help but to take it personally.

Anyway, I just felt like whining for a while there. :D

Has anyone written a poem by now? Care to show it to me, even if it's only a snippet of it? I can assure you there's no bad intention behind this.

miguel_fugdey

i agree, poetry IS hard to do without degenerating into limericks or thought-flow crap...i dunno if i'd put it up there with flim, but it IS hard i think

and yeah i've written a few poems now...i think by the time i reach my do-by date ill have enough, and this holday is great time for work! if you want i'll pm ya one

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
definitely, poetry is hard.
I'm hoping I can pull of a half-decent sonnet and free-verse. I mean we can always at least make an attempt but to construct them the right way and still have some sophisticated poetic quality will be hard.

Yeah, this holiday I'll probably be concentrating more on English than my other subjects. Specifically the major work of course.

If you don't mind showing your poems, you don't have to :) , I'd really appreciate it.

Delta32

usyd junkie
HSC
yeh, I'm also doing poetry, idea based basically upon drugs & society ... and before you think of the potheads out there and that kinda of cliched idea.. (maybe not even that), I'm actually basing it upon legal drugs, implications on society and impact on nearly every individuals life..

hmm, better not rant on too much more eh?

but yeh, have to say I'm loving poetry about 5 people at my school are using this medium, out of 34, and I gather that is the kind of ratio we're going to see statewide.

inspirations? TS Elliot (really... can't go past him), another great you can get into is WH Auden.

message me if you'd like to discuss further.. :D

Last edited:

Delta32

usyd junkie
HSC

I like decent... how eloquently put heh.

we'll, there was no way in hell I was going to do another short story... i mean, give me a break.

We rarely get a chance to play with poetry, and hey, as far as I'm concerned, the HSC is just one big game, so best to make the most of it ...

As for that many.. I think that's about right... maybe 4 of us. I forget...

Since beginning my work I have tried to overcome my tendency to rhyme... a most annoying habbit of mine.. makes my poems so silly...so denaturing..

Last edited:

miguel_fugdey

haha yeah shorts are so boring...

and i duno about eliminating rhyme - look at the greats, eliot, blake, etc. they all rhyme, they just pick it so it doesnt trivialise, use it for beautification and cadence-setting, and importance, rather than as a stock standard limerick-an form

Delta32

usyd junkie
HSC
sorry, just to clarify, I'm not abandoning... just avoiding it sometimes. For example when I started my work, nearly every poem was ryhme.. was horrible!!

hehe, but yeh, I think I've recovered from rhymitis ;)

Last edited:

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
of course, rhyme can have a humorous or satirical effect but if used properly can produce beautiful sound :D

and yes that's what I thought short story was, boring. but it seems as though my teacher would rather have us all doing short story :mad1:

oh and miguel, we all know you're not a bad poet at all. we have faith in thee! :D

liliputian

Boredom Magnet
Long Dark Teatime of the Soul (beneath the washed-
HSC
yeah i started off with short story, but i just couldnt keep up the effort for an elongated period of time..in fact, my whole class (4 people, woah!) started off doing short story, and now none of us are! im not sure what our teacher thinks about that, im not sure she does think

and isnt beautiful sound what we;re here to create?

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
Originally posted by liliputian
im not sure what our teacher thinks about that, im not sure she does think
come on, cut her some slack :p shes doing well seeing as its her first time!

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
scriptwriting, my dear friend, IS poetry... just, kinda not...

Huy

HSC
N/A
it's the right word, but spelt incorrectly?
prerogative

so the poet's allowed to (their right) :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)