• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Polarity of Covalent Bonds (1 Viewer)

AirbusA380

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,
First timer here. I have two questions that im having trouble with for a prac because my chem teacher gives us pracs before explaining the content that the questions are asking about, eg. polarity and intermolecular forces.
Question 2:Name the polar molecules from Table 20.4 and explain why they are polar (Ive answered this) - what is the model even called?
Question 3: Give two limitations of the bonding model used for the compounds in question 2.
And
Question 4: Name an element/s that can form stable single, double and triple bonds with its own atoms.
Ans. Carbon.
Question 5: Name at last two limitations of modelling the above compounds - Again what is the model and the limitations.
Thanks guys.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Can you tell us what molecules are in the table you have specified?

AirbusA380

HSC
N/A
Methane, ammonia, water, hydrogen chloride, butane, phosphine, oxygen, carbon dioxide, ethene, nitrogen and ethyne. Thanks.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys,
First timer here. I have two questions that im having trouble with for a prac because my chem teacher gives us pracs before explaining the content that the questions are asking about, eg. polarity and intermolecular forces.
Question 2:Name the polar molecules from Table 20.4 and explain why they are polar (Ive answered this) - what is the model even called?
Question 3: Give two limitations of the bonding model used for the compounds in question 2.
And
Question 4: Name an element/s that can form stable single, double and triple bonds with its own atoms.
Ans. Carbon.
Question 5: Name at last two limitations of modelling the above compounds - Again what is the model and the limitations.
Thanks guys.
Not sure what Q3 is referring to.

Q4 is nitrogen and carbon.

Not sure what Q5 is referring to.

These are possibly the most poorly written questions I have ever seen, to say the least.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Not sure what Q3 is referring to.

Q4 is nitrogen and carbon.

Not sure what Q5 is referring to.

These are possibly the most poorly written questions I have ever seen, to say the least.
Is that normally the case for Chemistry?

AirbusA380

HSC
N/A
Is that normally the case for Chemistry?
Tell me about it. Im hating chem because of my teacher and how he teaches - doesn't even teach the content before giving us the work.
Thanks anyway guys.

ivorybranches

HSC
For model limitations I'm pretty sure it's okay to simply be very nit picky and just point out anything, e.g. not a 3D model, suggests electrons only move in one direction, doesn't show charges, for polarity - does not show lone pairs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)