POLITICAL TRAP: Gillard, Abbott hide from angry protesters (1 Viewer)

A

autismsuperstar

PRIME Minister Julia Gillard and Opposition Leader Tony Abbott were trapped in a Canberra building for up to half an hour after 200 Aboriginal protesters stormed the entrance this afternoon.

The protesters, from the nearby Aboriginal tent embassy, banged on the three glass sides of The Lobby restaurant chanting "shame" and "racist".
Ms Gillard and Mr Abbott had just spoken at a ceremony for the inaugural national emergency medals.

Tensions boiled over this afternoon following comments Mr Abbott made in Sydney earlier in the day.
Mr Abbott said he understood why the tent embassy was set up "all those years ago".
"I think a lot has changed for the better since then," he told reporters.
"I think the indigenous people of Australia can be very proud of the respect in which they are held by every Australian.
"I think a lot has changed since then, and I think it probably is time to move on from that."

http://www.news.com.au/national/gillard-and-abbott-run-protest-gauntlet/story-e6frfkvr-1226254401470

hayabusaboston

HSC
He told them to move on?! How dare he.
are you aboriginal? Just wondering

Sorry but mate, how is that racist? He didn't insult them in ANY way shape or form, he merely suggested that "These events have occurred, we dealt with them, and now, 40 years later, it has already happened and we need to think about new things that are going on, so we should dispand the tent embassy".

Sorry but unless im missing something, there doesnt appear to be anything racist about suggesting to "Move on". There were no insulting comments whatsoever in Mr Abbots statements, I dont see why he should be labelled a racist.

UNLESS of course the embassy is intended as a standing relic, as a remembrance of the hardships aboriginals went through to earn their place in society, and knocking it down would be knocking down the intentions and hardships of the aboriginals, I understand in that respect it might be considered an immoral act, probably racist as well. It depends on perspective.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
are you aboriginal? Just wondering

Sorry but mate, how is that racist? He didn't insult them in ANY way shape or form, he merely suggested that "These events have occurred, we dealt with them, and now, 40 years later, it has already happened and we need to think about new things that are going on, so we should dispand the tent embassy".

Sorry but unless im missing something, there doesnt appear to be anything racist about suggesting to "Move on". There were no insulting comments whatsoever in Mr Abbots statements, I dont see why he should be labelled a racist.

UNLESS of course the embassy is intended as a standing relic, as a remembrance of the hardships aboriginals went through to earn their place in society, and knocking it down would be knocking down the intentions and hardships of the aboriginals, I understand in that respect it might be considered an immoral act, probably racist as well. It depends on perspective.
wot r u dum or somethin

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Uppity darkies... if they don't want vastly disparate education and health outcomes, why didn't they just go to a rich private school like Tony Abbott?

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
^yeah bro politicians should make a law that says aboriginals have to achieve the education and health outcomes of whites

becuase politicians can just fix things thats how it works

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Society has never provided me with anything, why can't they just have as much capital as me

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
yeah blacks are much better off in america, I think we should provide aboriginies with the same oppurtunities that the US government provided them

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
everyone's the same but diversity is a strength for some reason

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that they believe everyone is the same and then at some point explicitly state that diversity is strength

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
yeah its the racial realists who belive diersity is strength right

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
No I mean I'm trying to say that I agree with that sentiment (however unrealistic it is)

if you believe that everyone is really the same, then diversity can't exist let alone be a strength

Garygaz

HSC
gotta love that white guilt you have forced upon you at birth. what's that, the british landed here hundreds of years ago and now i have to pay my taxes towards giving you everything in life for free?

okay

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
gotta love that white guilt
acknowledging reality =/= guilt

you have forced upon you at birth.
haha, by men in guns? (are they the same ones who force me to be part of society i.e. pay taxes?)

what's that, the british landed here hundreds of years ago
as if they didn't then proceed to exterminate them and treat them as sub human until only a couple of decades ago but hey pretty much everyone in the whole country denies history so whatever

and now i have to pay my taxes
oh noes I can't be a sociopathic extremist "individualist", although you could just go to somalia

towards giving you everything in life for free?
oh look it's the 'they get heaps' myth again, poor white boy so disadvantaged

Garygaz

HSC
acknowledging reality =/= guilt
what, so you'd be fine with us acknowledging for the next 1000 years that we live on stolen land and have to pay a ridiculously unfair proportion of taxes towards aboriginies? oh how about we recognize the fact most of europe is still on the roman empires ancient land and they should all set up a fund to help out all of those poor italians. why on earth do i have to be born into a society that perpetuates this idea?

haha, by men in guns? (are they the same ones who force me to be part of society i.e. pay taxes?)
mate, when i was in primary school i had to sit through compulsory aboriginal art/history lessons and sit fucking exams for it. i also had to listen to a 3 hour presentation by a lady who looked like she was on crack and made us all repeat 'this is not our land, our father's stole this land'. so yes, it's not forced by guns but by the broader, politically correct and reality shy community.

as if they didn't then proceed to exterminate them and treat them as sub human until only a couple of decades ago but hey pretty much everyone in the whole country denies history so whatever
and this relates to me how? oh that's right, someone committed an injustice in the past and now their sons and daughters have to pay for it. sins of our fathers.

oh look it's the 'they get heaps' myth again, poor white boy so disadvantaged
education, healthcare, property, government hand outs. do you honestly believe that aboriginals aren't and haven't been given a disproportionate amount of funding per capita?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)