Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
You will never take away my freeze peaches

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Oh please, everyone knows the ''freedom of speech'' line is used by people who WISH they were opressed. The type of people who think females, homosexuals, and non-whites get increased oppurtunities. How about you don't say those opinions just out of respect? I don't expect the world to conform to my ideals, but I just wish that people were more considerate. Australia is not politically correct at all, and if we were- what's the problem?
Are you insane or just trolling?

Did you even read my other posts?

I wasn't really talking about more jokes people may use, but the defences people have. I don't think this argument has anything to do with freedom of speech, its more about the defences people will use when they are accused. Freedom of speech isn't necessarily a 100% good thing, it has its flaws. Stereotypes are damaging, full stop. Has anyone ever intelligently backed up their ideals that sexist/ racist/ homophobic jokes are okay? I'm not saying that it should be illegal, but it should be culturally shunned more.
Yes many people have backed up freedom of speech very well and thoroughly.

However, I sincerely doubt any defence given toward an opinion you don't like would be satisfactory enough for you.

Memento-mori

HSC
Are you insane or just trolling?

Did you even read my other posts?

Yes many people have backed up freedom of speech very well and thoroughly.

However, I sincerely doubt any defence given toward an opinion you don't like would be satisfactory enough for you.
What makes you think I dislike other people's opinions? You are making sweeping statements about my opinions, and simplfying them. I do believe in freedom of speech, but it's not perfect, and it's fact that people today use it to act like total d*cks, and just because a country has freedom of speech, it does not mean its society is richer or happier in any way. I do respect other people's opinions, and debating óther perspectives doesn't mean that I don't. If I disagree with you, I will respond. That is natural. Arguing back doesn't mean that I disregard all opinion that differs.

na110793

HSC
I meant me as a white guy

People get very very uneasy about white men referring to minorities by their skin colour, or any epithet with even slight negative connotations. However, it's not the case vice versa, which is what the OP is complaining about. He's upset about the way society is moving away from a white, Christian majority.
Nope, just curious to know what BoS NCAP thinks of the issue.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
What makes you think I dislike other people's opinions? You are making sweeping statements about my opinions, and simplfying them. I do believe in freedom of speech, but it's not perfect, and it's fact that people today use it to act like total d*cks, and just because a country has freedom of speech, it does not mean its society is richer or happier in any way. I do respect other people's opinions, and debating óther perspectives doesn't mean that I don't. If I disagree with you, I will respond. That is natural. Arguing back doesn't mean that I disregard all opinion that differs.
Okay so say there was an air-tight, perfect defence afforded to something terrible like people being able to say what they think. Would you therefore change your opinion on the matter, after having your former one disproven?

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
is it politically incorrect to say palm island is a third world shithole?

Memento-mori

HSC
What gives you the impression I don't like people saying what they think? Freedom of speech isn't perfect. It does not equate to a peaceful society, or a fair one. Is it better than a dictatorship? Yes, it is. You are on a forum called ''News, Current Affairs & Politics." People are going to stick by what they say, and if people respond to it saying that they disagree, then a reasonable sane person would explain it more. Which I have. I think I've disproven what you've said. Are you changing your mind? No. You are just as stubborn as you accuse me to be.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Most aboriginals are white these days anyway.
Too right. It is terrible that you can be 1/128th Aboriginal and claim government benefits or other specialties for being Aboriginal etc. Sure, you are 1/128th although you are 127ths white (or other etc)!!!

Bolt has been silenced on this issue by the high court unfortunately to the point where he can't even defend himself when someone attacks him over his (correct) stance.

I think it is a problem. There is nothing wrong with people being a different skin colour - that is not important. What is important is the cultural shift. Even between races there is a big cultural difference. Someone who is Asian and has lived in Australia all their lives is as Australian as any of us and great. Whereas someone who is Asian and has lived in China for 20 years before moving to Australia does not fit in with Australian culture as well and needs extensive cultural education on what is and is not acceptable here.

Multiculturalism is good in moderation. It was better back in the day when the local Greek family ran the fish and chip shop, the local Chinese family ran the Chinese restaurant and that was it; supermarkets didn't have an aisle dedicated to Asian/Arabic food etc and almost everyone either didn't go to church or if they did go to church it was a Christian church of some sort. If you wanted to experience Thai culture you went on a holiday to Thailand etc...

Is society becoming overly sensitive (politically correct) in a bid to please everyone? For example, "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" and changing "bah bah black sheep" to "bah bah coloured sheep" (crappy examples I know).
Yes & yes.

We've got radio presenters calling the Prime Minister a Jew-liar
You are taking it out of context, it is not that, it is Juliar and has nothing to do with Judaism.

Strapping teenage girls to lie detectors on air, we've got broadsheet newspapers mocking olympic swimmers as overweight and you think we're too politically correct? Fuck off
You cannot be serious.

Last edited by a moderator:

hayabusaboston

HSC
You are taking it out of context, it is not that, it is Juliar and has nothing to do with Judaism.

You cannot be serious.
All I can say is, it is fucking RIDICULOUS how up-tight australia has become, FUCK RACISM i say, everyone has flaws, if they are unchangeable learn to accept it, and dont get fucking offended because someone laughed at you. Laugh at them! Fuck you sensitive people. Cowards you are. Laugh back at the asshole who insults you.

Lentern

HSC

You cannot be serious.
I am perfectly serious when it comes to the moral decay of our society! There used to be something called decorum, we used to be a nation built up good, earnest, christian virtues. Now vulgarity and crassness runs rampant. If we are to have any sense of pride in our national identity, this moral decay must now stop.

na110793

HSC
I am perfectly serious when it comes to the moral decay of our society! There used to be something called decorum, we used to be a nation built up good, earnest, christian virtues. Now vulgarity and crassness runs rampant. If we are to have any sense of pride in our national identity, this moral decay must now stop.
Has Pauline Hanson hacked this account?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
The change in ethnic/cultural composition of societies, plus the rise of progressive liberalism, are the main causes of the shift towards a more "politically correct" attitude.

What gives you the impression I don't like people saying what they think? Freedom of speech isn't perfect. It does not equate to a peaceful society, or a fair one. Is it better than a dictatorship? Yes, it is. You are on a forum called ''News, Current Affairs & Politics." People are going to stick by what they say, and if people respond to it saying that they disagree, then a reasonable sane person would explain it more. Which I have. I think I've disproven what you've said. Are you changing your mind? No. You are just as stubborn as you accuse me to be.
I never claimed otherwise and you didn't answer my question.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/.../comments/if_were_so_welcome_why_must_we_pay/

"COUNCILS are spending tens of thousands of dollars on Aboriginal welcome-to-country ceremonies amid claims by a tribal elder that some costs are extravagant. It costs up to $850 for an elder to perform a 20-minute welcome and smoking ceremony."

What a scam. I understand the practice is culturally significant to Indigenous Australians and it should be respected and performed. Although if they want to perform it, do it for free. Do not charge fricking up to $850 to do it. At prices like those it shouldn't be done if it cannot be done cheaper (i.e. free).

Lentern

HSC
http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/.../comments/if_were_so_welcome_why_must_we_pay/

"COUNCILS are spending tens of thousands of dollars on Aboriginal welcome-to-country ceremonies amid claims by a tribal elder that some costs are extravagant. It costs up to $850 for an elder to perform a 20-minute welcome and smoking ceremony."

What a scam. I understand the practice is culturally significant to Indigenous Australians and it should be respected and performed. Although if they want to perform it, do it for free. Do not charge fricking up to $850 to do it. At prices like those it shouldn't be done if it cannot be done cheaper (i.e. free).
Mate, if you aren't prepared to pay due respect to the first Australians, then fuck off back to the country of your ancestors.

na110793

HSC
Mate, if you aren't prepared to pay due respect to the first Australians, then fuck off back to the country of your ancestors.
Pay respect...in the form of a monetary donation?

Lentern

HSC
Pay respect...in the form of a monetary donation?
This is not about any individual incident this is about people like you riffling through every newspaper and every magazine to try and find articles about indigenous Australians then to frame the article in the most cynical, mean spirited way possible. There are no shortage of monocultural countries around the world, many of which you and he would have ancestral traces to so I say to the both of you, if you find Indigenous Australians, and Arabic Australians, and African Australians to be offensive? Why stay in the most multicultural country on earth?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I am happy to show respect, although not pay for it. If the Aboriginal people feel they need a smoking ceremony (another question/debate in itself) then they should do it for free when invited to do so at events.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)