Politically correct society (1 Viewer)

na110793

HSC
Is society becoming overly sensitive (politically correct) in a bid to please everyone? For example, "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" and changing "bah bah black sheep" to "bah bah coloured sheep" (crappy examples I know).

Last edited by a moderator:

HSC
Uni Grad
I personally think so too. Many politically correct examples may be specific and all that, but sometimes I think it's gone too far, like the examples you shown above, WTF. It's completely lost it's traditional meaning.

Although tbh if someone passed away, I would have to be politically correct. But on a regular basis, I personally don't give a damn.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
"bah bah coloured sheep"

since when is that a lyric

Lentern

HSC
We've got radio presenters calling the Prime Minister a Jew-liar, Strapping teenage girls to lie detectors on air, we've got broadsheet newspapers mocking olympic swimmers as overweight and you think we're too politically correct? Fuck off

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
oh no Christians don't get to rape as many children anymore boo hoo you dumb fascist

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
I agree. People do seem to get offended by everything. Most people only start caring when it is their words that offend someone.

Memento-mori

HSC
No, Australia is not a politically correct society, we are the far opposite. For every person that says ''that's offensive'' there are about twenty saying ''stop being offended'' People who go out of their way to not offend anyone tend to be heavily labelled, yet those who make racist/ sexist/ homophobic jokes act like its so casual and if they are entitled to be an asshole. Most of these ''politcally incorrect'' jokes are against minorities- people with disabilities, etc. And that's cowardly, and people have every right to be offended. I mean, call it Merry Christmas for all I care, but those who aim to get minorities more respect and dignity are often portrayed in an unfair light, just so people can keep their own prejudices and continue to be massve d*cks.

Lentern

HSC
oh no Christians don't get to rape as many children anymore boo hoo you dumb fascist
I'm not talking about legislating political correctness, most of this "political correctness gone mad" business is not institutionalized but the decisions of individuals and business taken in order to please others. I was at a stand up gig recently where paying customers left during the intermission, coldly told the promoter they wouldn't be coming back again (did not demand a refund or anything like that). The promoter told the comedian afterwards to change his act or he wouldn't book him again and the fuckwit started moaning about his freedom of speech and politically correct nazis were ruining art. I mean come on.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I'm not talking about legislating political correctness, most of this "political correctness gone mad" business is not institutionalized but the decisions of individuals and business taken in order to please others. I was at a stand up gig recently where paying customers left during the intermission, coldly told the promoter they wouldn't be coming back again (did not demand a refund or anything like that). The promoter told the comedian afterwards to change his act or he wouldn't book him again and the fuckwit started moaning about his freedom of speech and politically correct nazis were ruining art. I mean come on.
I meant the OP, not you (because he identifies as fascist)

I don't throw the word "fascist" around that easily

If people's speech changes, then that's fine. I have no issues with political correctness that is a natural progression of community. As long as people aren't having their freedom restricted by the state in this regard, I don't really care.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
No, Australia is not a politically correct society, we are the far opposite. For every person that says ''that's offensive'' there are about twenty saying ''stop being offended'' People who go out of their way to not offend anyone tend to be heavily labelled, yet those who make racist/ sexist/ homophobic jokes act like its so casual and if they are entitled to be an asshole. Most of these ''politcally incorrect'' jokes are against minorities- people with disabilities, etc. And that's cowardly, and people have every right to be offended. I mean, call it Merry Christmas for all I care, but those who aim to get minorities more respect and dignity are often portrayed in an unfair light, just so people can keep their own prejudices and continue to be massve d*cks.
The politically incorrect jokes are about stereotypes of minorities, not just minorities. That's why they're told and why people can and do laugh at them. They are entitled to be an asshole. It's freedom of speech. Just because you don't like what they're saying doesn't mean they're not allowed to say it.

Every figure in history that has strived for more equality has met opposition, yes, but history looks upon them favourably and even forgets their misgivings. Their benefit outweighs the cost.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Is society becoming overly sensitive (politically correct) in a bid to please everyone? For example, "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" and changing "bah bah black sheep" to "bah bah coloured sheep" (crappy examples I know).
I can't really think of any really major examples of political correctness gone to an extreme in recent times tbh. I don't think it is feasible to suggest that society is getting "too" politically correct, unless of course you can provide better examples

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I can't really think of any really major examples of political correctness gone to an extreme in recent times tbh. I don't think it is feasible to suggest that society is getting "too" politically correct, unless of course you can provide better examples
So you know how I'm not allowed to call an Aboriginal man "black" (I'm *barely* allowed to call them Aboriginal)?

mirakon

nigga
HSC
So you know how I'm not allowed to call an Aboriginal man "black" (I'm *barely* allowed to call them Aboriginal)?
wait wat

i obviously haven't met that many aboriginal people lol

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I meant me as a white guy

People get very very uneasy about white men referring to minorities by their skin colour, or any epithet with even slight negative connotations. However, it's not the case vice versa, which is what the OP is complaining about. He's upset about the way society is moving away from a white, Christian majority.

Memento-mori

HSC
The politically incorrect jokes are about stereotypes of minorities, not just minorities. That's why they're told and why people can and do laugh at them. They are entitled to be an asshole. It's freedom of speech. Just because you don't like what they're saying doesn't mean they're not allowed to say it.
Oh please, everyone knows the ''freedom of speech'' line is used by people who WISH they were opressed. The type of people who think females, homosexuals, and non-whites get increased oppurtunities. How about you don't say those opinions just out of respect? I don't expect the world to conform to my ideals, but I just wish that people were more considerate. Australia is not politically correct at all, and if we were- what's the problem?

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Oh please, everyone knows the ''freedom of speech'' line is used by people who WISH they were opressed. The type of people who think females, homosexuals, and non-whites get increased oppurtunities. How about you don't say those opinions just out of respect? I don't expect the world to conform to my ideals, but I just wish that people were more considerate. Australia is not politically correct at all, and if we were- what's the problem?
Politically incorrect jokes are precisely that, jokes. They are not serious opinions and do not necessarily reflect a person's views. Granted, they are sometimes in bad taste, but what would be the more effective approach:

1. Huffing and puffing, causing a ruckus by attempting to stop it

Or

2. Not laughing and letting the joke die

Even if we are to look beyond jokes and into the wider spectrum of opinions, freedom of speech is still important. The best way to get across your message that an offensive view is bad is not to simply suppress people from expressing said view, this would just lead more people to curiously explore this view to see what all the fuss is about. Trying to shut a view or opinion away because you deem it offensive simply brings more attention to it. The best way to cement the notion that a view is stupid or inappropriate is actively debating it and proving it wrong. In other words, freedom of speech can come from BOTH sides and be an effective filter against negative or unreasonable views in itself

Memento-mori

HSC
Politically incorrect jokes are precisely that, jokes. They are not serious opinions and do not necessarily reflect a person's views. Granted, they are sometimes in bad taste, but what would be the more effective approach:

1. Huffing and puffing, causing a ruckus by attempting to stop it

Or

2. Not laughing and letting the joke die

Even if we are to look beyond jokes and into the wider spectrum of opinions, freedom of speech is still important. The best way to get across your message that an offensive view is bad is not to simply suppress people from expressing said view, this would just lead more people to curiously explore this view to see what all the fuss is about. Trying to shut a view or opinion away because you deem it offensive simply brings more attention to it. The best way to cement the notion that a view is stupid or inappropriate is actively debating it and proving it wrong. In other words, freedom of speech can come from BOTH sides and be an effective filter against negative or unreasonable views in itself
I wasn't really talking about more jokes people may use, but the defences people have. I don't think this argument has anything to do with freedom of speech, its more about the defences people will use when they are accused. Freedom of speech isn't necessarily a 100% good thing, it has its flaws. Stereotypes are damaging, full stop. Has anyone ever intelligently backed up their ideals that sexist/ racist/ homophobic jokes are okay? I'm not saying that it should be illegal, but it should be culturally shunned more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)