Polynomials (1 Viewer)

seanieg89

HSC
Prove that a polynomial with real coefficients for all real if and only if is expressible as the sum of two squares of real polynomials.

nrlwinner

HSC
Can you please rephrase the question because I can't see the question in that line.

seanieg89

HSC
Prove that a real polynomial is non-negative everywhere if and only if it is expressible as the sum of two squares of polynomials.

eg 2x^2 + 2x + 1 = x^2 + (x+1)^2, and the LHS is always non-negative.

Don't see how it can be phrased much clearer than that...

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Isn't that trivial? A square of a polynomial is always non-negative therefore the sum of squares of polynomials is clearly also non-negative.

fixing

HSC
If the gay ass polynomial can be written as a sum of two squares it can't have a nigga negative numba as you can't get nigga negatives when you add two squares.

You do your own fucken proof from that. Fucken lol you're doing a Maths degree and you're asking school kids for help.

scroates

fresh meat
HSC
nowhere as easy as everyone is making it out to be. Think you guys missed the if and only if part that complicates things

seanieg89

HSC
scroates is correct, you are all missing the 'if and only if'. The fact that the sum of two squares of polynomials is non-negative is indeed trivial, but the fact that every non-negative polynomial is expressible thus is not. Hint: Try induction in some form.

And this is not my uni work, I already have a proof. I simply post some of the more difficult questions i consider setting for my 4U students on BOS to gauge how hard they are.

shaon0

HSC
scroates is correct, you are all missing the 'if and only if'. The fact that the sum of two squares of polynomials is non-negative is indeed trivial, but the fact that every non-negative polynomial is expressible thus is not. Hint: Try induction in some form.

And this is not my uni work, I already have a proof. I simply post some of the more difficult questions i consider setting for my 4U students on BOS to gauge how hard they are.
Trebla may have been thinking the 'converse' was trivial ie. If P is sum of two real poly's then P>=0.

seanieg89

HSC
a further hint:

You can make use of the following factorisation

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I've 'found' the solution, but will not post it up as it is not my solution haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)