Poor performance in chemistry (1 Viewer)

trolface

HSC
I haven't been doing well in my chemistry assessments. For the first one I got the last on my class and for the second one I got average. My current chemistry rank is 66/75 and my school rank is around 50.I'm wondering if it is possible to redeem my self and get a band 6 in chemistry? I don't want to drop it because I'm not doing well in extension 2 maths as well. So I need one as a back up. What do you guys think?
PHP:
PHP:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
What's your rank in MX2?

I would say you need to get into the top 20% for a B6....right now, it isn't looking too likely. Do you know why you haven't been doing too well in assessments?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
If your school is ranked about 50, it's likely to get 10ish (plus or minus 5) band 6s in Chemistry. Look at the previous amount of band 6s scored by your school for Chem and you can get an estimate of your chances.

E.g. if your school usually gets around 10-15 band 6s then you need to be ranked in the top 20 (or so) for a fair CHANCE.

Like I was internally ranked 31st at my school for MX2 and got an 88 assessment mark. Got a 90 HSC mark (right on E4) only due to my better exam mark of 91. I knew my school got around 20-25 E4s for MX2 (statistically) each year so I was like ''I should realistically get around a high E3 or if I do really well in the HSC exam, a low E4''. Turns out, I was spot on pretty much,

Can you get a band 6 in Chemistry?

Yeah you CAN (if you have the best exam days EVER for trials and HSC) but realistically, no... (I'm not trying to crush your hopes but hey, you might be able to prove me wrong).

66/75 is your current rank.

After trials (which will probably weigh around 35% to 45% - not sure about your school)... you might be able to boost yourself into the top 30 or 40 or 50 with a strong performance.

this means you might be able to look at a low 80s HSC assessment mark maybe (since your school is a top 50 school and considering your internal rank)... This means you'd need to get like above a mid band 6 exam mark to get a band 6 final HSC mark.

I can't really predict the figures but a band 6 is very unlikely.

You should probably aim for a mid to high band 5 (a high band 5 seems quite hard at this point as well).

Last edited:

trolface

HSC
If your school is ranked about 50, it's likely to get 10ish (plus or minus 5) band 6s in Chemistry. Look at the previous amount of band 6s scored by your school for Chem and you can get an estimate of your chances.

E.g. if your school usually gets around 10-15 band 6s then you need to be ranked in the top 20 (or so) for a fair CHANCE.

Like I was internally ranked 31st at my school for MX2 and got an 88 assessment mark. Got a 90 HSC mark (right on E4) only due to my better exam mark of 91. I knew my school got around 20-25 E4s for MX2 (statistically) each year so I was like ''I should realistically get around a high E3 or if I do really well in the HSC exam, a low E4''. Turns out, I was spot on pretty much,

Can you get a band 6 in Chemistry?

Yeah you CAN (if you have the best exam days EVER for trials and HSC) but realistically, no... (I'm not trying to crush your hopes but hey, you might be able to prove me wrong).

66/75 is your current rank.

After trials (which will probably weigh around 35% to 45% - not sure about your school)... you might be able to boost yourself into the top 30 or 40 or 50 with a strong performance.

this means you might be able to look at a low 80s HSC assessment mark maybe (since your school is a top 50 school and considering your internal rank)... This means you'd need to get like above a mid band 6 exam mark to get a band 6 final HSC mark.

I can't really predict the figures but a band 6 is very unlikely.

You should probably aim for a mid to high band 5 (a high band 5 seems quite hard at this point as well).

My rank for MX2 at half yearly was around 17/33, however I had an assessment after that, I did quite bad in it, therefore would have gone down couple of places. I heard that a lot of people do get E4 in MX2, and heard that only 3 didn't last year, but I'm still not too sure.

Well, think I'll just try my best in the trials and HSC and see how it goes.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Its possible to get a band 6 in chemistry but extremely unlikely ...

hecticated

HSC
i go to a rank 30-70ish school (ranks fluctuate alot) and the chem teacher says on average only 5 or so people get a band 6 at our school.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Below are some more tips for acing chemistry exams. For the full guide, feel free to click on: http://community.boredofstudies.org...w-excel-senior-year-studies-yr-11-12-a-4.html

My top tips in maximising marks for multiple choice questions:

1)Make sure you read the question carefully-some multiple choice can be quite hard-don't presume every question is easy.

2)Make sure that you eliminate the choices that are definitely not the answer, and decide on the MOST APPROPRIATE and ACCURATE choice that answers the question

3)It is always advisable that if you have considered a multiple choice answer for an appropriate amount of time, that near the end of the exam, unless you are absolutely confident, don't change your answer.

My top tips to maximise your marks in short and long responses:

1)Make sure you allocate a sufficient amount of time to answer the question according to the marks given and the time you have to do the exam. You may choose to use a pencil to make a rough plan on the points you need to include in the margins before you start writing your answers in pen.

2)Make sure you read the question as least TWICE. DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING THAT IS NOT DIRECTLY RELEVANT TO THE QUESTION. Only information directly answering the question will be awarded marks.

3)Make sure you write legibly in the exam, teachers cannot award marks to what they can't read.

4)Include relevant BALANCED chemical equations and clearly labelled diagrams when appropriate to support your answer. Make sure you explain the relevance of the equation and or/diagram you are including qualitatively in your answer

5)Make sure you don't write an excessive amount, the lines allocated to a question is usually a good indication of the expected length. When you keep writing excessively, you risk REPEATING YOUR POINTS as well as possibly CONTRADICTING yourself which results in no marks awarded.

6)Use a table format where appropriate to answer the question-use the clearest format possible to present RELEVANT INFORMATION to get your marks.

7)The most IMPORTANT tip is to make sure you are answering what the exam verb requires you, for example in an EVALUATE question, you will not be able to get full marks if you don't make a final, personal judgment based on the issues you have evaluated for the question. Go to board of studies website and make sure you REMEMBER and know how to apply the definitions of the exam verbs commonly used.

My top tips for answering CALCULATION QUESTIONS:

1)Make sure you read the question several times.

2)Record down all the quantities known and the quantities that needs to be find/determined

3)Make sure you include relevant BALANCED chemical equations where appropriate. This also comes from the need to remember general reactions, for example, a complete combustion reaction often has carbon dioxide and water as the products of the reaction, acid-base (neutralisation reaction) yields the product of a salt and water etc.

4)MAKE SURE YOU DO YOUR FULL WORKING OUT, depending on the marks of the question, you may not get full marks just for an answer, you need to show the PROCESS of reaching your answer in a coherent fashion. MAKE SURE YOU WRITE DOWN THE CHEMICAL FORMULA you are using and the substitution of the given quantities into the formula.

5)Make sure that the decimal places in your answer does not exceed the smallest number of decimal places in the question. Also make sure you retain exact values throughout your calculation-can use the memory button in your calculator, only round off at the end.

6)Again, it is important that you don't use too many arrows to direct the continuation of your answer in various places. Try to work from top to down, and if a qualitative conclusion needs to be drawn from quantitative calculations, make sure you do that. Make sure your writing is legible so that teachers can award marks for the knowledge you have shown.

7)Make sure you use SI units in all your calculations. If the units in the question is not SI, make sure you convert it into SI units, and you should include relevant units in your answer when appropriate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)