Possible to transfer (Low ATAR?) (1 Viewer)

ljubo

HSC
Hey.. The other day I got offered a position in bachelor of Arts in Un Notre Dame.. I was quite surprised since my ATAR was 59.85... I'm just wondering after a year would I be able to transfer to BCommerce to UTS or USyd if I happen to get High dist. or dist?

and will it be possible to transfer mid 2011, since I'm thinking of startig this course(BArts) semester 2.. I just want some time off to go overseas..

miaowsha

HSC
Hey.. The other day I got offered a position in bachelor of Arts in Un Notre Dame.. I was quite surprised since my ATAR was 59.85... I'm just wondering after a year would I be able to transfer to BCommerce to UTS or USyd if I happen to get High dist. or dist?

and will it be possible to transfer mid 2011, since I'm thinking of startig this course(BArts) semester 2.. I just want some time off to go overseas..

1. If you got an ATAR of 59.85, what makes you think you could get a distinction or high distinction average even at Notre Dame?

2. UTS doesn't have b commerce, its equivalent is b business as far as I know. UTS is easier than sydney in commerce and sydney is easier than UNSW. UNSW is the best commerce in Australia.

3. It's possible if you get the marks and if they do mid-year intake. UNSW commerce doesn't do mid-year intake. Others may, but you need to check.

Otherwise, how the hell did you get 59???? I'm confused. A girl I knew was happy when she got "high fails" and she still got higher than that.

rx34

HSC
Well getting HDs in Arts should be easier than getting HDs in Commerce. But isn't Notre Dame private? So you're paying so much for an arts course? Ouch. I hope you get in the transfer. FYI you can't transfer to Usyd during the Mid-term.

CatOnAHorse

HSC
Otherwise, how the hell did you get 59???? I'm confused. A girl I knew was happy when she got "high fails" and she still got higher than that.

It most certainly depends on the subjects you do and how they scale. Such as how my Chemistry mark was considered higher than my dance mark even though my chemistry hsc mark was an entire 10 marks less than dance. Also how well your school does against others and how good your assessment marks were. There are a lot of factors to consider when getting your atar.

miaowsha

HSC
It most certainly depends on the subjects you do and how they scale. Such as how my Chemistry mark was considered higher than my dance mark even though my chemistry hsc mark was an entire 10 marks less than dance. Also how well your school does against others and how good your assessment marks were. There are a lot of factors to consider when getting your atar.
Yes, it's expected that subjects where you need to use your brain more are scaled better than ones where you need to use it less. Scaling makes sense. However, I do find it funny that someone who got an ATAR of 59 thinks they can get HD's and get into commerce.

Edit: ok, maybe b business at UTS or UWS they could do...

schtrevey

BBC/LLB
HSC
OP was being hypothetical... no need to be quick on the gun. Besides you make it sound impossible in the circumstances of the OP

5qirtl3

Banned
HSC
OP was being hypothetical... no need to be quick on the gun. Besides you make it sound impossible in the circumstances of the OP
+1

imo it is quite possible from what i've herd you would at least need to get >=65% for the 1st year exams.

spence

HSC
Well getting HDs in Arts should be easier than getting HDs in Commerce. But isn't Notre Dame private? So you're paying so much for an arts course? Ouch. I hope you get in the transfer. FYI you can't transfer to Usyd during the Mid-term.
You can transfer to USyd mid-year. I did and I know a bunch of other people who did.

And in my experience, its a lot easier to get high distinctions in business than in arts

ljubo

HSC
Thanks guys!..

Btw.. I have NO idea.. how I got 59... I find it unfair.... and my ATAR is only a rank though... If I can get 2 band 5's (and nealry a band 6).. why can't I get HD? If I choose what I like :0 then it hsouldn't be such a problem...

sinophile

HSC
N/A
I don't think your ATAR is a proper indication of your intelligence, ljubo. Your subjects scaled very badly, so your ATAR likely underestimates your capability.

That being said, it certainly is possible to transfer, but you'll need to gain a D or HD average for a decent chance to get in. Uni is a whole different ballgame than high school- its very easy for the careless and unmotivated to fail. Even if you do get the D or HD, you're not guaranteed a place. Are you confident you can get that H or HD?

jellybelly59

HSC
lol well i know someone who got below 40 uai, got a d avg in psychology at uws then transferred to uts business - it's not impossible just improbable given that you have to maintain a high standard in your studies.

jola88

HSC
Thanks guys!..

Btw.. I have NO idea.. how I got 59... I find it unfair.... and my ATAR is only a rank though... If I can get 2 band 5's (and nealry a band 6).. why can't I get HD? If I choose what I like :0 then it hsouldn't be such a problem...
no reason why you can't if you apply yourself. i found my BA so much more interesting than my school subjects and subsequently performed a lot better at uni than i ever did at high school!

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Well getting HDs in Arts should be easier than getting HDs in Commerce.
pretty much the same difficulty in first year for both courses, heaps of my friends are Com/Arts students with bigger averages in the commerce side of their degree.

debts

HSC
N/A
i'll be attempting the same at ND, but trying to get into a media course of similar ATAR at either UTS or USYD - UNSW i believe is a (perhaps high) credit to distinction average for a transfer? whatever, it's all about application next year.

K

Kozak92

lol well i know someone who got below 40 uai, got a d avg in psychology at uws then transferred to uts business - it's not impossible just improbable given that you have to maintain a high standard in your studies.
How'd they get into UWS with <40? Unless they did UWSCollege.

You should try your hardest ljubo. You seem like a great guy who has a will to succeed. You are great motivation for the rest of us who currently feel like theres no hope.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)