Powerplay - Related Texts (1 Viewer)

lthughes

HSC
I feel that a visual text for powerplay would be The Godfather.

It has all the right ingredients and is a bona fide classic to boot.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
a few other good texts to consider:

-Yes, Prime Minister
-The Blackadder Series. More specifically, have a look at Blackadder - Back and Forth
-The House of Cards.

HSC
I did Powerplay last year, but now I'm at uni keep finding texts that would've been fantastic for it.

Metropolis (silent film-1926) - Fritz Lang. Might be a bit difficult to find, but I just found a copy on ebay for $6 - it'd be really easy to link with 1984. Something a bit different I guess
The Island (film)
Society of the Spectacle - Guy Debord (book). It's a bit dense, but not heaps long.
Mean Girls (film)
V for Vendetta (film, but I'd be careful because I'd expect lots of people to do it this year)
"The Eye of Power" (essay) - Michel Foucault (for that matter, anything you can find by this guy - big Marxist)

There's heaps out there, I can't believe how much trouble I was having last year finding texts for this module. Just do a library/google search on censorship, sure to find some interesting articles. Just get something that stimulates you, and that you can draw on heaps.

Xachro

HSC
For the Powerplay Assignment, my group used these texts:
The Matrix
V for Vendetta (Graphical Novel, not the film)
World War II Propaganda Posters

Other texts used by class mates:
Equilibrium
Saw
The Crucible
Serenity
Wag the Dog
Rabbit Proof Fence
There were a few other good ones I cant remember the title of. One was an article on the issue of Police using street mounted video cameras to spy into peoples lives.

fantasy27

HSC
N/A
when i did powerplay last year, we used Gatacca as a related material, we studied 1984 as our prescribed

bluephoenix36

HSC
We've just started doing Powerplay in class (with 1984 by George Orwell being our set text) and I'm considering doing the film Memento. I also thought about the drama Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw, however, as 1984 concers power yielded over a society, and Memento and Pygmalion both over individuals, I can't help feeling that I need a little more variety. If I could find another text other Pygmalion that concerns power over an institution, that'd be brilliant. So far all I've been able to think of are other texts concerning individuals. Any ideas?

bluephoenix36

HSC
lthughes said:
I feel that a visual text for powerplay would be The Godfather.

It has all the right ingredients and is a bona fide classic to boot.

Now that would be an excellent choice. I'd do it myself if I hadn't already chosen a film, but as it's good to have some for back up that's certainly something I'll look at. Thanks for the suggestion. ;)

celery

HSC
I personally find it more difficult to analyse speeches because I don't know the historical background/context etc...but there are some great speeches out there for RM...*sigh*

oh thats the thing...do we have to include context???

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
shade (2003) by Damian Nieman. many subtlties and interweaving powerplay going on here. focus on the structure of the movie - how the plot is revealed to the audience is important.

and good poker related card tricks to boot! :)

illmtl

HSC
Our teachers are so evil, we aren't allowed to double up on genres, we have to have an article, a tv show or film, a poem or song, and a cartoon/artwork/comic..... it teh evil.

the problem is finding the cartoon and article..... any suggestions on where to look? We only just started 1984 and well...... we have 4 weeks of learning about it till we're assessed.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
illmtl said:
the problem is finding the cartoon and article..... any suggestions on where to look? We only just started 1984 and well...... we have 4 weeks of learning about it till we're assessed.
cartoon - google up some political cartoons on america. plenty there!

articles - look up some articles on corporate fraud...enron as a topic is a good starting point.

purplemonkey

HSC
Gattaca is excellent...because its a kind of 'reversal power' thing.
Animal Farm is also great...my teacher said dont double up on authors but the hsc markers didnt seem to mind...or else they woulnt have given me 92 :p
DementedDonkey is right...anything by Michael Foucault is very good...especially any piece where he is discussing panopticism, and behaviour modification.

Last edited:

schmoph

HSC
ummm the island i think is good for powerplay, as in the idea of education, conformity, creating life and controling life.

atrinakayz

HSC
umm ... for my prescribed text we're doing the documentary 'after mabo' which sort of has to do with political power playing .

any suggesttions for related material would be appreciated =)

ali89

HSC
hey, i did a little research on 'dangerous liaisons' it seems a perfect text for antony and cleopatra, but i can't seem to find it anywhere, any suggestions on where i might find a copy?

mousie

HSC
i'm in the same situation with atrinakays....

after mabo is hard...and it's quite difficult to find a text that is related to it....

so any help would be great :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)