Powerplay - Related Texts (1 Viewer)

=slade=

HSC
animal farm by george orwell is a good one, also we had in our p/play booklet 'when generals talk' by midnight oil - it shows public power + deception. heres my half yearlies revison it might help :)

sambo_rambo

HSC
related texts

I don't know if any of you like music, but pretty much any opera ever written, especially by Mozart is all about powerplay. I find them much easier than Ant and Cleo to analyse because if you get the video/see it in person its really easy to analyse the staging, music and the words in relation to powerplay.

rcandelori

Harry Potter, Animal Farm, Cruel Intentions? Oh my god, how pathetically basic are these texts? The Board of Studies are looking for more originality in the selection of extra texts, and quite frankly the ones I've read on this thread are bad.

British Television series "House of Cards" and the 1988 film "Dangerous Liaisons" are much better choices.

=slade=

HSC
rcandelori said:
Harry Potter, Animal Farm, Cruel Intentions? Oh my god, how pathetically basic are these texts? The Board of Studies are looking for more originality in the selection of extra texts, and quite frankly the ones I've read on this thread are bad.

British Television series "House of Cards" and the 1988 film "Dangerous Liaisons" are much better choices.
pathetically basic yet easy to analyse...and thats what will get you marks you dickhead. not necessarily originality but anaylsis of text. and considering there are actual HSC based study books on Animal Farm which detail how to get the marks, why not use it?

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I find articles and political cartoons are good to use because they are so current, it shows that your engaging with your work. Plus there is much less to analyse so its easier in that respect.

scoby_2000

HSC
rcandelori said:

wow.....were u abused as a child coz every post you write seems to be saying how pathetic something is

nice....

rcandelori

scoby_2000 said:
wow.....were u abused as a child coz every post you write seems to be saying how pathetic something is
I might as well count you in on the pathetic list as well. A useless being you are.

=slade=

HSC
rcandelori said:
I might as well count you in on the pathetic list as well. A useless being you are.
you're a tool. why bother posting here? clearly no one is interested in what you have said, ur contribution sucked - and u degraded others who are trying to assist someone else and who actually provided some useful notes rather than suggesting crap television series or outdated movies ... you're the pathetic one here

scoby_2000

HSC
rcandelori said:
exhibit A

ANYWAY back to powerplay

my assesment is 2moz and ive sorted it down to these possible supp mats (must use at least 2)

Egypt, Tobago - Poem - Derek Wallcot
The Sun Rising - Poem - John Donne
Collateral - Film - Michael Mann (this is my weakest)
Gladiator - Film - Ridley Scott (strongest)
The Last Samurai - Film - Edward Zwick (works well with Q's about power through force and stuff)

these are all heaps good supps, especially the poems (probs not 4 collateral except for power through force and language)

divalux

HSC
Animal farm is actually a great text if you know it in enough depth, and i'm sure that the same goes for Harry Potter and maybe even Cruel Intentions. It is true that markers are only human and that their mark could theoretically be swayed by their own preferences in texts, however it's also true that no matter what text you choose, as long as you have the matter to back up what you're saying, its possible to achieve a high range mark.
Sometimes it can be more original to take a less conventional approach and use a less 'academic' text. Personally, in advanced, extension 1 and 2, i've used children's picture books and cartoons and have achieved high range results - 95% +, so don't underestimate any text.

saying that, my current supps are
Malcolm X - The Bullet or the Ballot - Speech
Koeper - Elizabeth - Film
KMFDM - Stars and Stripes - Song/Lyrics

These are temporary though, i'll find some more...someday...soonish :)

Last edited:
HSC
rcandelori said:

don't be such a snob. nothing is "better" than something else, it depends on your ability to analyse it and back up what you say with evidence from the text etc.

:rolleyes:

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Isenduil said:
I used Fight Club for my trials. It's good if you can put a gender powerplay spin on it, (there's no women in Fight Club itself, and concentrate on the way women are represented) the dynamics of male power relations, the fact that Fight Club enforces the primal masculine qualities of men etc. etc. This in itself provides a type of gender powerplay in that Tyler excludes the feminine sex. It suggests that there's too much maternal influence in society which makes men "weaker" and support that by quoting Tyler: "We're a generation raised by women. I'm wondering if another woman is what we really need." It also plays on male insecurities - castration is alluded to - which suggests the dynamics of male power relations.

Fight Club is a dark movie in which without all the blood and struggle, it would be impossible to show the effects of loss of personal power. Don't forget to mention specific techniques eg. flashback, soundtrack to support your argument.

I used Star Wars as well, but Fight Club was what you were after, so there you go.

11 days hehe
[comment] hekejrmcijroicjaweinoidaw[/comment]

buckley

HSC
im using the crucible as a sup for 1984, ive looked at other texts as well, like citizen kane, n i cant find any others that are suitable for 1984. i really want some sort of war movie or film about communism but i havent found any good enough

Abbeygale

HSC
My prescribed text is Antony and Cleopatra, and my two supps are Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale (which has a lot of parallels with 1984) and Machiavelli's The Prince.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
im using Robert Browning's "My Last Duchess" and either Midnight oil's "The Dead Heart" or Macolm X's "The ballot or the bullet" speech

Mz_mE

Hoxton Park, Sydney (under a rock with the turtles
HSC
im doing antony and cleopatra 4 powerplay.. hmmz political cartoons/caricatures are a good idea.. im using 1 about mussolini called 'the missing thing'.. has any1 though of using a speech as a text? coz im doing a speech by charles de gaulle 'the glame of french resistance'..

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
jusdorange said:
don't be such a snob. nothing is "better" than something else, it depends on your ability to analyse it and back up what you say with evidence from the text etc.

:rolleyes:
POTTERPUFFS!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)