Powerplay - Related Texts (1 Viewer)

insomniac90

7/9/08
HSC
I'm using the photograph Napalm Girl and the song Master of Puppets, what do you think?

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
u-borat said:
I'm doing V For Vendetta and Les Liaisons Dangereuses.
I would have liked to use fight club, but im using it for imaginative journeys and i dun think you can use the same text for 2 different essays.
You go to King's, yes?

Using prescribed texts from your preliminary english extension one. Not very original (at least for trials) :eek:

The strongest powerplay related texts (for the purposes of the external HSC exam) are normally those that people are less likely to use, as you can apply more distinctive analysis and original insight compared to those who use the typical cliches of 'animal farm' and 'gladiator'. Remember, markers are going through tens (close to hundreds) of papers a day, and if your teacher recommended for eg 'Othello' to the class and half of you do it, then it does get repetitive (naturally) for the poor marker.

From past observations, the more admirable selections have been those outside of the film and novel genre (which half this thread is devoted to). Verse is always a strong choice esp. those from the neoclassical school, metaphysical poetry (To His Coy Mistress by Andrew Marvell) and late / high modernism (The Wasteland by TS Eliot). Paintings and artwork (as opposed to mere comics) are also excellent.

EllaFifi

HSC
well im in the same situation.. need texts fast!!
was thinking 'The Devil Wears Prada' but wasnt quite sure.. would still need another one. :S
also it depends what your doing for your critical study but if your not doing Gwen Harwood she has a poem called 'Prize-Giving' which could be used as a good powerplay text...

jessyy

HSC
so far i want to use "The other boleyn girl".

Our class hasnt done much on powerplay, and we have an assessment within the next two weeks. im screwed :(

Epistemophobia

Serenity Painted Death
HSC
JigSaw said:
OMG!! I hate this bloody module; I've got the others pretty much under wrap and key. Are you guys sure gender issues and feminist books are good? My prescribed text last year was Jane Eyre, so maybe I could use that?:worried:
I haven't the faintest idea what to do, I'm starting to panic!:bomb: Although I think Im going to do Fareniheit 9/11 as the first supp.

And all these suggestions?!! I really don't know much about Powerplay, I just looked at 'em and thought wtf? Lian Hearn's 'Across a Nightingale Floor' and Edward Zwicks 'The Last Samurai' are both texts I know very well, and Ive seen them mentioned here. Just going to have to go over the concept of powerplay and its mediums in order to make the connections, I guess. To those doin these texts, if you have any notes could you email them to me please?

firefly_fan01@hotmail.com

its lock and key you gooch rider!

Para-Noir

HSC
The poem "To His Coy Mistress" by Andrew Marvell is really good if you're doing Antony and Cleopatra - it focuses more on sexual and personal powerplay though.
A pretty good movie to use is Jim Hensens "Labyrinth" - its more applicable to Imaginative Journeys but the powerplay between Jareth (David Bowie) and Sarah (Jennifer Connelly) is really evident. Its good if you knwo that movie inside out like I do though I guess.
Good luck!
:read:

Epistemophobia

Serenity Painted Death
HSC
bobthebogan said:
i got no fu***** clue about related texts - so ive sorta just given up.

antony is an idiott
cleopatra is a open-legged whore
ceasar is gay
enobarbas is a pedofile,

im very happy that shakespeare is dead, coz he ruined our world with his hopeless plays.

i'l probably fail my HSC, then become a REAL bogan.
FTW BOGANS FOR LIFE!

UAI goal - 100%
realistic UAI goal - RED DOT

why on earth did i even bother signing up for this website?

Because dear, you are STUPID

sarah888

HSC
I DO, and i think its really good although i do think it depends on the question we recieve in our exam. There is a seminar called "blue eyes, brown eyes" that a lady named jane elliott holds. it relates to the way that the romans talk about cleopatra. in this seminar there are two groups, the blue eyes which are white people and the brown eyes which are people of coloured skin. jane puts them into a situation where the white people are treated like the coloured people for one. she does this through her language and certain techniques. relevant to the way that the romans talked about cleopatra :) take a look :):):):):)

Hilary-Jane

HSC
Ah, but did you know that 'The Lion King' was actually based on Hamlet?
Are you suggesting that an adaptation of one of Shakespeare's greatest tragedies is "lacking literary integrity"?
But seriously if your remarks are not helpful, keep them to yourself.

Damnit sorry, didn't come up with quote so nobody has any idea what I'm talking about... new to this :]

I also need help with a supp text that also has: Imperial, Personal and Sexual powerplay, and also the power that the "slippery people" or "the masses" hold.

Not Elizabeth please, seems as if half the country is doing that.

Last edited:

u-borat

Banned
HSC
lmao adaptation?!

its got a similar storyline to hamlet; in terms of sophistication it doesn't come close.

edit;
try cruel intentions

ktshambles

Minty Car
HSC
I'm using Dead Caesar, which is a play and The Sound of Drums, an episode of Doctor Who...because I'm a nerd like that.

They both show imperial, personal and sexual powerplay, so they're really easy to relate back to A+C.

But...it's a bit late now to be choosing or changing your texts...

mr chickendick

HSC
inevitable hsc success

yes i see it is quite agreeable on the hypothesis that powerplay in inevitable in the concurrent environment of termoil between participants that im an onion!! haha aRRR i'll sleep in your yard

amandaghs2008

HSC
damb i need a text fast too! i really hope the only ask for 1 sup. does anyonw know of an image or painting with power play? or a good and short poem?

friction

HSC
amandaghs2008 said:
damb i need a text fast too! i really hope the only ask for 1 sup. does anyonw know of an image or painting with power play? or a good and short poem?
I am in the same situation.

inter108

HSC
=slade= said:
you're a tool. why bother posting here? clearly no one is interested in what you have said, ur contribution sucked - and u degraded others who are trying to assist someone else and who actually provided some useful notes rather than suggesting crap television series or outdated movies ... you're the pathetic one here
I'm sorry to say. you just got OWNED.

I-Love-Jesus

HSC
A really good simple related text, which fits in well with 1984 is the American Defence Force Enlistment Poster 'Uncle Sam'.
The one with the man pointing at you saying "We want you". It's really quick and easy to analyse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)