Preliminary 2012 Chemistry Marathon (1 Viewer)

planino

HSC
Yeah we should. Since you answered the last one, ask the next one

premskies

HSC
man I am so screwed for chemistry. does anybody know of any good tutors? ie. with experience.

HSC
Give three examples of each: compounds and elements found in the house.

Also a question for the OP, ...1996 (you know who you are). Have you studied for chemistry? and are all these answers you're giving purely from recalling or do you use the textbook for help?

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Give three examples of each: compounds and elements found in the house.

Also a question for the OP, ...1996 (you know who you are). Have you studied for chemistry? and are all these answers you're giving purely from recalling or do you use the textbook for help?
elements: hydrogen (water), oxygen (water) , carbon (pencils)
compounds: acetic acid (vinegar - CH3COOH-), water (H20), carbon dioxide (CO2)

and yes, i'm genuinely answering from knowledge. and no, i'm not recalling, i'm understanding. they're 2 different things. i haven't studied in detail, but once i understand the main concepts, i don't find it difficult to answer (not trying to be cocky).

why'd u think that?

Which elements on the periodic table are the most reactive? (1 mark)

Eg155

HSC
Flourine is the most reactive *element* but yes, in terms of groups Alkali Metals...

planino

HSC
elements: hydrogen (water), oxygen (water) , carbon (pencils)
compounds: acetic acid (vinegar - CH3COOH-), water (H20), carbon dioxide (CO2)

and yes, i'm genuinely answering from knowledge. and no, i'm not recalling, i'm understanding. they're 2 different things. i haven't studied in detail, but once i understand the main concepts, i don't find it difficult to answer (not trying to be cocky).

why'd u think that?

Which elements on the periodic table are the most reactive? (1 mark)
Non metals: Fluorine
Metals: Caesium

planino

HSC
Wouldn't francium be a more reactive metal?
Francium's radioactivity hinders it from being the least electronegative metal (so Caesium's the most electronegative), so I'm assuming this also hinders it from being the most reactive as well since Caesium is not radioactive. Francium is still one of the most reactive metals though

superSAIyan2

HSC
Francium's radioactivity hinders it from being the least electronegative metal (so Caesium's the most electronegative), so I'm assuming this also hinders it from being the most reactive as well since Caesium is not radioactive. Francium is still one of the most reactive metals though
I think you mean Caesium's the least electronegative : If Francium's radioactivity stops it from being the least electronegative then wouldnt Caesium be least electronegative - NOT MOST ELECTRONEGATIVE. Metals generally have the tendency to lose electrons and are electropositive. I'm sure your school / expensive tutor would have taught you that.

planino

HSC
I think you mean Caesium's the least electronegative : If Francium's radioactivity stops it from being the least electronegative then wouldnt Caesium be least electronegative - NOT MOST ELECTRONEGATIVE. Metals generally have the tendency to lose electrons and are electropositive. I'm sure your school / expensive tutor would have taught you that.
eat a dick
Shouldn't you be studying for Studies of Religion?

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Both of you guys should stop arguing. This is not a place for you to joke around/take out your anger on each other. Every post should be relevant to Chemistry and related queries or answers to given questions.

And no, it's Francium. Especially if nightweaver says so.

There is also a 7 marker unanswered from my previous post.

nightweaver066

HSC
Both of you guys should stop arguing. This is not a place for you to joke around/take out your anger on each other. Every post should be relevant to Chemistry and related queries or answers to given questions.

And no, it's Francium. Especially if nightweaver says so.

There is also a 7 marker unanswered from my previous post.
I shouldn't be given any authority on this matter lol.

In terms of the preliminary HSC course, you learn that the more electron shells there are, the further are the valence electrons from the nucleus so the more electropositive it becomes.

So theoretically, from what we have learnt at school, francium is more reactive than caesium.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
I shouldn't be given any authority on this matter lol.

In terms of the preliminary HSC course, you learn that the more electron shells there are, the further are the valence electrons from the nucleus so the more electropositive it becomes.

So theoretically, from what we have learnt at school, francium is more reactive than caesium.
I believe this is right. Theoretically, francium is more reactive. In practical situations however, you would just use caesium.

planino

HSC
Both of you guys should stop arguing. This is not a place for you to joke around
ok
nightweaver066
Yeah I should write francium based on what I've learnt from school (and on here) instead of some magazine whilst waiting at a haircut place. I hope we do radioactivity in depth in year 12 though

nightweaver066

HSC
ok

Yeah I should write francium based on what I've learnt from school (and on here) instead of some magazine whilst waiting at a haircut place. I hope we do radioactivity in depth in year 12 though
Nope you don't really do it in depth other than nuclear decay and production and uses of radioisotopes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)