Preliminary Math Exam Questions (1 Viewer)

SeftonIsAHole

HSC
So who has done their math/math ext prelimary final paper?
Any unusual or hard questions that you came across? If so, can you please post the question here if you got the answer or not, i wanna practice before exam next week.

Any math questions that anyone need help in can be posted to, i'll try my best to do it.

anyway, thanks if you can help me out my posting and goodluck to everyone with their prelimary exams!!!

Last edited:

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
i'll give u some if u want from my 2unit exam

5b) AB is a diameter of a semicircle and the chord AP makes an angle of x radians with AB. If AP divides the semicircle into two equal areas, prove that 2x+sin 2x = pi/2

4b)i. Sketch the curve y= ln (x+2) showing any asymptotes and intercepts with the x and y axes.
ii. Find the exact area enclosed by the curve and the x and y axes.

c) A graph of the function, y=x(x-a)^2, for constant a, has a local maximum at P and local minimum at Q.
Theres a diagram with the point P at the local maximum and point Q local minimum on the x axis in the positive direction

i. Determine the coordinates of P and Q in terms of a.
ii. Determine the area bound by the curve and the x-axis, between the origin and the point Q, in terms of a, and hence find the value of a if the area is 4/3 square units.

bored of sc

HSC
Some hints:
> Slow yourself down and concentrate on the question you are doing!
> Check answers where possible.
> Use reading time effectively.

SeftonIsAHole

HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
i'll give u some if u want from my 2unit exam

5b) AB is a diameter of a semicircle and the chord AP makes an angle of x radians with AB. If AP divides the semicircle into two equal areas, prove that 2x+sin 2x = pi/2

4b)i. Sketch the curve y= ln (x+2) showing any asymptotes and intercepts with the x and y axes.
ii. Find the exact area enclosed by the curve and the x and y axes.

c) A graph of the function, y=x(x-a)^2, for constant a, has a local maximum at P and local minimum at Q.
Theres a diagram with the point P at the local maximum and point Q local minimum on the x axis in the positive direction

i. Determine the coordinates of P and Q in terms of a.
ii. Determine the area bound by the curve and the x-axis, between the origin and the point Q, in terms of a, and hence find the value of a if the area is 4/3 square units.
can u post working out for 5b? haven't done that type of question at school yet
and just the answers for 4b,c <== havent done that at school either but i know how to do them lol

Tsylana

HSC
x^2/3 - 2x^1/3 - 4 = 0

It literally said. Expand and simplify the values of x. >_>"

bored of sc

HSC
Tsylana said:
x^2/3 - 2x^1/3 - 4 = 0

It literally said. Expand and simplify the values of x. >_>"
Huh? So what did you put for it?

Wait, it just means solve for x doesn't it?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
SeftonIsAHole said:
can u post working out for 5b? haven't done that type of question at school yet
and just the answers for 4b,c <== havent done that at school either but i know how to do them lol

i dont hav a scanner, so i'll just give u a hint, if u really need i can do it, but if u draw the diagram correctly, one step to make it easier is to join P to O (centre of the semicircle)
then u can work out the segment AP in terms of x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)