Preliminary Report on the Scaling of the 2008 HSC w/ tables (2 Viewers)

dp624

HSC
Enobarbus said:
you forget to mention it's also an extremely dry and intolerable pattern of study
depends on your taste. your brother is doing similar to this so yea. i find essay writing very intolerable.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
ZaraKu said:
How is Adv. English scaled higher? I thought both advanced and standard were scaled the same, only fundamentals was scaled different
You're right, they're scaled the same - but advanced students are typically ranked above standard students, so they usually get the higher marks.

The ESL course is scaled separately and ordinarily has below average scaling.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
OMG at Mathematics Extension 2 scaling it went even higher than last year.
That's because the external examination this year was like close to impossible (I heard this from someone who gained the highest mark for MX2 at our school this year)

Lazarus said:
You're right, they're scaled the same - but advanced students are typically ranked above standard students, so they usually get the higher marks.
Does this mean that people can 'dumb down' for English and gain better results?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
jm01 said:
That's because the external examination this year was like close to impossible (I heard this from someone who gained the highest mark for MX2 at our school this year)

Does this mean that people can 'dumb down' for English and gain better results?
wot

difficulty of exam = scaling

no matter how hard/easy that exam was, it doesn't affect scaling as it is determined by the overall calibre of the student.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Whilst looking through all of the tables, I think I'll stick with 12 units (Table A7 convinced me enough, with other factors of course). The scaling of 4U Mathematics increased this year too. Lets hope it increases for 2009 :D.

dp624

HSC
No, the external MX2 exam was not impossible at all.
And this would not have affected scaling. Perhaps this year, the MX2 cohort was simply better

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
No, the external MX2 exam was not impossible at all.
And this would not have affected scaling. Perhaps this year, the MX2 cohort was simply better
i agree, for me it was just what i wasn't expecting

when i got home i saw 10 easy marks i couldve got had i read them correctly

dp624

HSC
Pwnage101 said:
i agree, for me it was just what i wasn't expecting

when i got home i saw 10 easy marks i couldve got had i read them correctly
Hey, if i hadnt lost my 4 marks of silly mistakes i would've gotten the top raw external in state (or so i keep telling myself.. haha)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lol, I doubt scaling for 4 unit maths would increase again for 2009 because from what I see, 2008 seems like the maximum scaled set of marks...

2 unit might increase though seeing that how poor the scaling was generally (even 98 aligned = 94-95 scaled mark wth)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
I can't access any of the Tables. When I open them it says that the file is damaged and can not be repaired.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
lol, I doubt scaling for 4 unit maths would increase again for 2009 because from what I see, 2008 seems like the maximum scaled set of marks...

2 unit might increase though seeing that how poor the scaling was generally (even 98 aligned = 94-95 scaled mark wth)
Ah how is it the maximum scaled set of marks? Doesn't the cohort generally vary from year to year, thus affecting scaling?

dp624

HSC
If you wish that the scaling for MX2 increases for 2009 you had better wish that the cohort for it is intrinsically better than the cohort for 2008.

That means... all the dumbassess out there who are doing MX2 (no offense) - killemall.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
x.Exhaust.x said:
Ah how is it the maximum scaled set of marks? Doesn't the cohort generally vary from year to year, thus affecting scaling?
Yep you are right.

However, from what I see, 2008 has the best scaling for maths in the past 10 years or so. I doubt it will just suddenly happen again.

dp624

HSC
Actually to be honest I don't like Foxit mainly cos its print system sucks.
If you have a decently fast computer then Adobe Reader is better (it has a background program that speeds loading)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
dp624 said:
Actually to be honest I don't like Foxit mainly cos its print system sucks.
If you have a decently fast computer then Adobe Reader is better (it has a background program that speeds loading)
But if you only want to read the pdf Foxit is definitely better.

Back on topic: So the scaling figures for this year don't really affect us 09ers?

dp624

HSC
Not at all. it's only your cohort that affects you.
Now, if you are incredibly mean go and kill those people who you don't consider 'worthy' of the course, as they'd lower the scaled mean, which in turns lowers scaling

lol, 1000th official post =P (oops not 100 lawl)

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
Not at all. it's only your cohort that affects you.
Now, if you are incredibly mean go and kill those people who you don't consider 'worthy' of the course, as they'd lower the scaled mean, which in turns lowers scaling

lol, 100th official post =P
edit: 1000th post..

And yep, "dumbasses" do lower the scaling of the subject but meh, most people who do 4 unit are quite decent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)