Preparing for Physics half yearly (1 Viewer)

face34

HSC
Hey guys,
I want to start doing some past papers on space to prepare for the half yearly but the thing is when start doing the papers I can only answer some of the questions like 3/10 of it. What should I do ?

Refer to my jacaranda book to help me answer the questions ???, Download notes off the resource section and read them ???
Thanks you,

IamBread

HSC
Go through the syllabus and see what you can remember and what you can't. You should use all the resources you can. It'll help make sure you haven't missed anything.

hazza1424

HSC
Yea use the syllabus, and if u have kiss notes then use them aswell! I hate physics aswell.... and im really stressed for the half yearlies! worst subject!

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
get tons of resources, then make your own notes with 50% info and 50% examples. Also use the questions in past papers as examples. Doing this got me a state ranking in physics.

face34

HSC
Yeah that's true, physics is awesome if your good at it... So should I download all the notes that is on the resources and make my own notes with them ?

face34

HSC
Oh yeah and what's your view on using other peoples notes instead of making your own ?

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Physics is awesome. HSC physics? Not so much.
SIF!

HSC course is pretty interesting imho.

Perhaps not as interesting as university physics, but interesting nonetheless :) Even M&G is growing on me...

Oh yeah and what's your view on using other peoples notes instead of making your own ?

It all depends on what is effective for your learning. Using others notes would never, ever work for me. I have to make my own notes and write them out. For others it would work better. You need to figure out what is best for you.

I would go through the syllabus, ensure you have covered all the dot points in enough detail and then just practice, practice, practice past papers.

Last edited:

face34

HSC
sure. That's what I'm properly going to do cover all dota points and practice practice practice :)

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
SIF!

HSC course is pretty interesting imho.

Perhaps not as interesting as university physics, but interesting nonetheless :) Even M&G is growing on me...
From what I've seen, the concepts themselves are interesting, but you don't need to actually go into any detail so it basically becomes a competition to see who can memorise how to use all the formulas and write the best essay based off a bunch of dot points in the syllabus.

What I dislike the most about it is the fact that the formulas are never derived. Most of them aren't incredibly complex, requiring a rudimentary knowledge of 2 unit mathematics at best, but instead we're just told to take them as fact and blindly apply them during exams.

Last edited:

IamBread

HSC
From what I've seen, the concepts themselves are interesting, but you don't need to actually go into any detail so it basically becomes a competition to see who can memorise how to use all the formulas and write the best essay based off a bunch of dot points in the syllabus.

What I dislike the most about it is the fact that the equations are never derived. Most of them aren't incredibly complex, requiring a rudimentary knowledge of 2 unit mathematics at best, but instead we're just told to take them as fact and blindly apply them during exams.
You end up deriving most of them in maths anways lol.

leesh95

HSC
I just entered prelim so I really don't know much about physics. But I am wondering do u atually have to learn examples as well as the other stuff + how hard do the formulas get in the end? and are there a lot of formulas?

clementc

Awesome Member
HSC
Uni Grad
There aren't many formulae at all LOL. They've pretty much stripped it down to the barest backbone as much as possible; any further and the subject would be English essay writing.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
There aren't many formulae at all LOL. They've pretty much stripped it down to the barest backbone as much as possible; any further and the subject would be English essay writing.
This.
There's a few formulas that I found hard to remember until I actually derived them myself, but sadly, it really comes down to who can write the best responses using the information they've memorised from the textbook.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
This.
There's a few formulas that I found hard to remember until I actually derived them myself, but sadly, it really comes down to who can write the best responses using the information they've memorised from the textbook.
Yep. 80% of the physics examination can basically be done from memory. The final 20% or so is really the only 'application' aspect of physics.

Quite sad actually.

I was teaching motion graphs to my Year 11's today and a couple of them were saying 'can't we just use calculus?' -- needless to say the general mathematics students in the class were like calculon? Isnt he from Futurama?

Thats the crap thing about Physics -- there really is no mathematical requirement for students to take the subject (it is recommended at my school to have 2u, but no one can really stop you from taking it if you do general or no math at all.)

How am I meant to teach using calculus if we have students who don't know what it is? I have brought this up at my school for the last 4 years -- to no avail..

Last edited:

face34

HSC
Hey guys,
So i've just finished making my notes and was starting on some HSC 2009-2011 papers (Multiple choice only). About 30% of the multiple choice is confident marks, 40% of the multiple choice is educational guess and the rest is clueless... What should I do to improve on this ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)