Prestige or the course? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rm93

HSC
N/A
Well, I had two months out of study due to medical factors. Nice rebound, methinks!
great rebound! i missed one complete term of yr 11 (due to medical reasons) and was still unwell throughout the beginning of yr 12. ended up with 96.7.

on that, i'd say go with the course (and not so much on the prestige). Just see what fits you. Like on the usyd open day, i absolutely loved the open enviro, and courses seemed extremely interesting! where as uts was literally a concrete box, with courses seeming quite different to unsw and usyd (in terms of their poor mathematic focus)

good luck :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Thanks rm, though you're more lucky to get the distraction in Year 11 mostly! So perhaps your rebound is more epic than mine =P

And I think Sydney would fit me better... though I'm tempted to go to UNSW because they have a social cricket competition and I just figured out how to bowl a doosra... (mind you it's horribly inaccurate and sometimes when I try to do it, it ends up being an arm ball)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Hauritz was competent! He just got dropped...

And when I say Hauritz was competent - I mean, better than anyone else who has been picked post-Warne era. Though Krejza apparently was good. I'm not sure.

Still, you never know. I'll go practice tomorrow. I'll need to because the only time I've ever bowled in a competition-style thing was at school sport indoor cricket. <_<
Haha, he loved bowling his arm-balls. I mean that he needs to spin the ball more!

But I'll admit, he's doing very well for NSW at the moment. And Krejza? Lol, I will never forget his epic bowling figures of 8/215 on debut. =D

rm93

HSC
N/A
Thanks rm, though you're more lucky to get the distraction in Year 11 mostly! So perhaps your rebound is more epic than mine =P

And I think Sydney would fit me better... though I'm tempted to go to UNSW because they have a social cricket competition and I just figured out how to bowl a doosra... (mind you it's horribly inaccurate and sometimes when I try to do it, it ends up being an arm ball)
thanks mate :)
That cricket bowl technique seems pretty cool (first time i heard of it). Thats a great thing to draw you to unsw. on the other hand, i was drawn to usyd strangely by their nice buffalo grass in the area next to the great hall. Yet, on that, im sure usyd is plentiful in sports teams and facilities :) i just checked and they have a sydney university cricket club.

gl man

OMFG7891

HSC
oh great so it's not standardised...

/me lets out a loud groan

sucks even more that every university pretty much decided to chuck their info days on the same day and then the uac said, "hey, let's give them about 24 hours after they get home from info day to fix up their final preferences for the main round!" ah well, i've trudged through more info - and now i have a better idea of what uni i want to go to and i have a better idea of whether i'm into pure or applied mathematics. It's all good.

/me puts on his sunglasses
I know it must be annoying for you guys who live in or near Sydney but for those of us who are unlucky and live in very small, very boring towns 6 hours away having the info days all together is a very nice gesture haha

But as to prestige or the course, personally I would go course. Mostly because there is a chance you may not get to transfer. That said if prestige is really important to you then that's fair enough. My friend wants to study law and got the same AAA scholarship for UNSW at my school but is going to go to ANU instead because of prestige. That said, you'd be wasting the $4000 that comes with the AAA.

I doubt this post was helpful but I wanted to put in my slight input.

Good Luck with your decision making :)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm wasting the AAA scholarship to UNSW because I'm going to Griffith University for my undergrad degree (mainly because I can accelerate my program much faster than anywhere else).

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
I am wasting a $4000/year scholarship at UOW to go to USyd... and I'm only doing arts...

BAD IDEA? :|

Edit: It's not just for the prestige. It's also sort of for the independence.

Last edited:

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I am wasting a $4000/year scholarship at UOW to go to USyd... and I'm only doing arts...

But moniez.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
He got 8/215? Part of me goes 'That's awesome, 8 wickets!' and another part of me goes '215 runs? Sad...'

rm, they do have a cricket club - but as I may have said before, I haven't played cricket at all for a club (it's kinda not an Asian thing to do) and I've only bowled in indoor cricket. Also, they have no social cricket competition. Like to play at lunchtimes. Indoor cricket is fine - and that's what UNSW has. Good luck to you too!

OMFG, true - info days together probably makes it better. I didn't think of that. And good luck to you as well!

And Deer, I don't know. Follow your heart =P

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
He got 8/215? Part of me goes 'That's awesome, 8 wickets!' and another part of me goes '215 runs? Sad...'

rm, they do have a cricket club - but as I may have said before, I haven't played cricket at all for a club (it's kinda not an Asian thing to do) and I've only bowled in indoor cricket. Also, they have no social cricket competition. Like to play at lunchtimes. Indoor cricket is fine - and that's what UNSW has. Good luck to you too!

OMFG, true - info days together probably makes it better. I didn't think of that. And good luck to you as well!

Haha, I played for a club lol. Totally go UNSW for the social comp; makes me wanna join the year after you :)

asymptotic

HSC

totally worth it imo

the 'brand name' of usyd is worth way more than uowtf's $4000

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
But moniez.
Mmm, thank you, you are clearly articulating the rational side of my brain which has been repeating those two words every time I start thinking about USyd.

And you, the irrational side of my brain. ;p

the 'brand name' of usyd is worth way more than uowtf's $4000
And you... well, you're reinforcing my original assumptions that I was trying to get rid of! Uowtf lololol.
Hey I'm sure it's a good uni. ...

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Deer: I have never Seen UoW, so I cannot say much about it, but I do have a friend in Woolongong and they say their Arts department there is quite good, but USyd give you so much more freedom and the reputation of going there is much higher.

It's money vs. reputation, really.

In my opinion, I would choose USyd if the scholarship is only once off at UoW, but it's repeating each year, then UoW is a good choice.

sikhman

HSC
N/A
thanks mate :)
That cricket bowl technique seems pretty cool (first time i heard of it). Thats a great thing to draw you to unsw. on the other hand, i was drawn to usyd strangely by their nice buffalo grass in the area next to the great hall. Yet, on that, im sure usyd is plentiful in sports teams and facilities :) i just checked and they have a sydney university cricket club.

gl man
good luck getting into the USyd cricket team. Most of USyd's sport teams are pretty good.
also, re USyd vs UoW, USyd's arts faculty is legitimately awesome. It deserves its reputation. I would suggest going there over UoW.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, if I get into a cricket team in the first place, I'll probably play like... the 10th grade of cricket as the 24th replacement off-spinner and if time comes that I'm selected to play - I'll be the number 11 with an awesome average of around 0.1 and a high score of 1 when the wicketkeeper dropped a catch and I took a run opportunity =P

So I don't know sly. Maybe. It's a horrible decision to make on what university to go now... because I realised I only liked sport a few years ago!

And for the UNSW $4000, it's a one off.

And on UoW in general - I took a holiday there and took a shuttle bus around the city. I got to the UoW station and like... every single other person got off. That was funny, and I was like, "wtf they're ALL uni students?!" Anyway, yeah I'd say about a third up to half of the people on the bus were Asian. Not sure what that says, but that's my only interaction with UoW in person.

Kralex

HSC
UoW is a good uni. Arts department is tops. Did a lot of research in high school as I thought I'd be attending.

OMFG7891

HSC
I've been to UOW a fair few times (largley because almost everyone from my school who goes to university goes there or to UC) and it's a really nice campus. The people are nice, they have pretty good bands that play there, they have a heap of cool parties and the pizza at the uni bar is good haha

From what I've seen, their arts faculty is really good, very flexible too. When I went on my early entry interview they said I could take as many classes as I liked from the creative arts degree and the arts degree and put it into my media degree.

With all that in mind, I'm not taking my offer at UOW and am going to UNSW instead. Despite the cool stuff I mentioned earlier, UOW just didn't do it for me.
Also, Not everyone there is asian, it's got a good mix of people from many different backgrounds.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks so much everyone for all your UOW advice.

Aqua: Yeah it is actually a repeating scholarship, $4000/year. So if I do end up knocking it back, it will be hard. :s

Shadow: They're not all Asians, but yeah the main students who use the shuttle-bus are. Maybe less international students have their license? I use the shuttle a lot because I live very close to the uni and it's easy to get to town that way, but I used the UOW library a lot during year 11/12 and from what I saw, there seemed to be a good multicultural mix.

Kralex: Yeah I did think that too, but I've spoken to a friend who does arts and apparently it's not actually that great because it doesn't offer a wide vaiety of subjects and they're actually cutting subjects next year. I'm sure it is good though, but compared to Sydney, maybe not as much.

OMFG: Hmm yeah I agree with everything you say; most people from my school end up going to UOW too. A lot of people say I'm crazy because I do literally live about a 30 second walk from the campus, closer than students park haha, so I should take advantage of my location. But the thing is... I don't know if I want to spend another three years at home. :/ Not that I don't love home, I just feel that if I don't move out now, I'll never gain independence, it will just sort of be like high-school, but at another venue. So that's a pretty huge factor in my decision too. I want change, I don't want to be working at the same job and seeing the same people every day. Also from what I've picked up, Sydney has a really active student body, heaps of clubs and societies and stuff, and I'm not so sure that UOW offers the same. I'd also be more willing to participate in that stuff if I wasn't around the people I went to high-school with, because I never really did that in school. If that makes sense? Probably not.

Anyway thanks again for your opinions, I'll stop hijacking your UNSW thread now, sorry! XD

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Well, if I get into a cricket team in the first place, I'll probably play like... the 10th grade of cricket as the 24th replacement off-spinner and if time comes that I'm selected to play - I'll be the number 11 with an awesome average of around 0.1 and a high score of 1 when the wicketkeeper dropped a catch and I took a run opportunity =P

So I don't know sly. Maybe. It's a horrible decision to make on what university to go now... because I realised I only liked sport a few years ago!

And for the UNSW $4000, it's a one off.

And on UoW in general - I took a holiday there and took a shuttle bus around the city. I got to the UoW station and like... every single other person got off. That was funny, and I was like, "wtf they're ALL uni students?!" Anyway, yeah I'd say about a third up to half of the people on the bus were Asian. Not sure what that says, but that's my only interaction with UoW in person.
Haha, what a gun! That's better than the no. 11 batter in my club team already so good job. :) And UNSW's social and indoor comp sounds really attractive.

Thanks so much everyone for all your UOW advice.

Aqua: Yeah it is actually a repeating scholarship, $4000/year. So if I do end up knocking it back, it will be hard. :s

Shadow: They're not all Asians, but yeah the main students who use the shuttle-bus are. Maybe less international students have their license? I use the shuttle a lot because I live very close to the uni and it's easy to get to town that way, but I used the UOW library a lot during year 11/12 and from what I saw, there seemed to be a good multicultural mix.

Kralex: Yeah I did think that too, but I've spoken to a friend who does arts and apparently it's not actually that great because it doesn't offer a wide vaiety of subjects and they're actually cutting subjects next year. I'm sure it is good though, but compared to Sydney, maybe not as much.

OMFG: Hmm yeah I agree with everything you say; most people from my school end up going to UOW too. A lot of people say I'm crazy because I do literally live about a 30 second walk from the campus, closer than students park haha, so I should take advantage of my location. But the thing is... I don't know if I want to spend another three years at home. :/ Not that I don't love home, I just feel that if I don't move out now, I'll never gain independence, it will just sort of be like high-school, but at another venue. So that's a pretty huge factor in my decision too. I want change, I don't want to be working at the same job and seeing the same people every day. Also from what I've picked up, Sydney has a really active student body, heaps of clubs and societies and stuff, and I'm not so sure that UOW offers the same. I'd also be more willing to participate in that stuff if I wasn't around the people I went to high-school with, because I never really did that in school. If that makes sense? Probably not.

Anyway thanks again for your opinions, I'll stop hijacking your UNSW thread now, sorry! XD
Haha, this thread has been hijacked to the point where there's more than 100 replies so it's fine. xD

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I come from a forum where threads get hijacked or 'derailed' all the time. There was a thread on the ignore feature that just recently is now a philosophical debate on what makes one happy - and that's being entwined with mathematical models as well. So I welcome the thread derailing, Deer =P

And sly, that may be better than your club's #11 but I have essentially no gear, nor the fitness to do the training! Though what I have gathered is that UNSW's social sport is much much better than Sydney's - though that's probably because they have a social indoor cricket competition... and that's putting bias in me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)