primary teaching at uws (1 Viewer)

sarakolahdouzan

HSC
ok so as far as i know u can do bach of arts at uws for 3 yrs then go into an education course if u wana do primary teaching.. but my problem is that once im in the arts couse wot major do i pick?? none of them seem appealing or relevant to teaching at all.. soo confused.. can anyone help me?

sarakolahdouzan

HSC
but is there such a course at uws? i thought the onli option was to do arts then dip of education after that?

kate_is_me

so hot right now...
HSC
Yeah at UWS, to become a primary school teacher you have to do a BA and then a DipEd. I'm doing a BA, and my friends who want to be primary teachers are taking majors in Humanities, Languages or Psychology, and use their elective units to take education units.

melodic_gal

HSC
sarakolahdouzan said:
but is there such a course at uws? i thought the onli option was to do arts then dip of education after that?

well uws don't offer a Bachelor of education, Primary teaching anymore which is why you have to do Bachelor of Arts 3 years and Dip of education to become a teacher. you have to I guess select units that are relevent to Primary teaching. I wanted Primary teaching as well so I selected that course when I was advised that they were not offering I changed my mind. UWS does not even offer Bachelor of Education, Early Childhood anymore which is why I am stuck doing Bachelor of Early Child (Child and family) and have to do Master of Teaching, EC.

well if you don't want to arts you could try other universities if you really really really want to do Primary Teaching it worth a go it couldn't hurt.

These university have Primary Education

University of Sydney
Australian Catholic University
University of Notre Dame
University of Wollongong

Good luck

Hope that helps:)

Tsubasa

HSC
UWS does offer Primary Education. It's a new course.

Datto120

HSC
How is everyone going picking their units???

I have no idea what to do i like psychology but i dunno if its really hard???

What things come under humanities is that everything other than languages and psychology??

Last edited:

Samu

HSC
Hey all

I'm doing the B/primary education course aswell at the Bankstown campus.

Seriously wtf is with the enrolment process on the uws website, the unit selection process is so confusing. I got as far as setting up my SR account and selecting a payment method for the course. Didn't really understand the mini site they'd created specifically for the course with the unit handbook (vUWS).

Could anyone shed some light on the situation for me?

Sam

HSC
^
Once you've finished all the stuff they've asked you and you click unit selection,
where it says 'Unit Code' you enter the code.

Course is for primary teaching, since it's your first year you'd be doing:
100958 Australia and the World
100965 Media and Visual Cultures

&then scroll down to 'Bachelor of Arts (Pathway - Primary) Key Programs', if you're doing humanities you choose from:
Art History and Cinema Studies, Asian Studies and International Relations, Cultural and Social Analysis, English, Text and Writing, History, Politics and Philosophy

Click one, and the classes for them show up [same with other key programs].

Then when you're done picking 4 classes, click proceed to checkout, then you should be done :)

Not sure if that answers your question S:

BlackBackpack

HSC
Yeah, I have a question related to that

Can our elective for autumn session be from anywhere in the humanities key program as long as it's a level one subject?

cxlxoxk

HSC
how many years trained teacher would i be considered to be, after doing this course (bachelor of arts/master of teaching)? i believe a teacher's pay is counted from how many years they have been trained at uni???

Last edited:

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
BlackBackpack, I'm assuming you're doing your BA with a pathway to primary teaching? If so, two of your subjects will be core BA subjects, one will be one related to your arts major and one will be related to teaching (eg Early Mathematical Thinking).

If you're just doing a BA, two of your subjects will be core BA subjects, one will be related to your arts major and one is an elective, which you can choose whatever level 100 unit you like (e.g. last Autumn I did a level 100 Social Science subject even though I am an arts student). A lot of BA students will use their elective to do another arts subject so they can have an elective major or sub major.

Hope that helps.

HSC
Yeah, I have a question related to that

Can our elective for autumn session be from anywhere in the humanities key program as long as it's a level one subject?
Yep. First year would be doing anything from the stuff above 'Level 2 and 3 Units'.

For the English, Text & Writing thing, it has:
Bankstown Campus
Students completing a major in English, Text and Writing must complete the following two Level 1 units:
100862.1 English, Text & Writing 100641.2 Approaches to Text

Meaning you do either one of those ^^. And you'll notice not all are actually on offer. They seem to only have a few units available.

What do you want to major/submajor in?

how many years trained teacher would i be considered to be, after doing this course (bachelor of arts/master of teaching)? i believe a teacher's pay is counted from how many years they have been trained at uni???
I don't think so. They have the same pay when they begin [unless you ally to some private school or something], they usually all give the same thing, then over time you will be paid more.

The only reason studying something like 'B Education ...' is better is because you'll be prepared, but UWS doesn't really prepare you, so you don't have as much experience?

chad29

HSC
Do you pick your units for just the Autumn semester or the Spring as well or for the whole course? How do you know what is offered at each semester?

HSC
um on vUWS [you'll be using it heaps in the semester] they had all the units for humanities and it had which subjects are on offer.

I uploaded it, check the file and it check the units on offer. This is just for humanities though.

If you want you can pick your units for the whole year, or just this semester.

snow_fanatzi

HSC
how many major are you allow to pick? say i pick keyprogram=psychology, major is english,text and writing, submajor is history, politics and philosohpy, what about the core and compulsory study bit (educational studies)? just confused about the major selection bit.... i know you can only pick 4 subject to study for each semester.

HSC
On the main page;
* 40 credit points Bachelor of Arts Core
* 120 credit point Key Program of Psychology or Islamic Studies or Languages or Humanities
* 80 credit point Education Major

Core Units= 4, everyone in Arts does them.
Key Program= If you want to keep Psych as your one, then you don't have a 'major' or 'submajor'. So you can't study history/english/languages as majors/submajors. If you want them to be your majors and submajors, then you just change your Key Program to Humanities.
Education Major= I don't think you can apply to have that as a 'major', because you have to do it either way since you're studying Primary Teaching.

If you have Humanities [not sure about Languages], as your Key Program, you can have two majors. It's also better to have two majors. :)

Unit Set What you're currently doing.

Unit Set is the Education Major thing.

You'll notice in the first link, it has the classes you should be doing every semester, then it has 'electives'. The 'electives' should be your Education Major units.

Hope that explained it. :]

snow_fanatzi

HSC
thanks for the reply! just a quick question cos i think i get it now. ( sitting here tryna work out what u meant and thanks for the helpful website)
see how they say:
Year 1
Autumn session

BA core unit

BA core unit

101184.1 Psychology: Human Behaviour

Elective unit

does it mean that u have to do two core unit? plus psychology then the educational studies? not too sure. then how would i do about selecting the unit? just select for the core and psychology?

HSC
yup.

the core units are:
100958.1 Australia and the World
100960.1 Contemporary Society
100965.1 Media and Visual Cultures
100968.2 Texts and Traditions

Aus&the World, & Media&Vis Culture are done in one semester, and the others in another. Then you do the other two units.

For the selection, just type your units in the MySR, and it should work. :)

btw, make sure you get it done before sunday night, because mondays the first day for tutorial registration and sometimes they stuff it up and you cannot register for a few hours >.<

"Chubby"

HSC
hey guys, just a quick question ( too lazy to start a new thread ) :p

How are we meant to do tute registrations for 3 subjects at the same time? because the arts core comes under school of humanities and languages. Cos I am pretty sure that if you do rego for one subject, than u will probably won't get the classes u want for the other 2 subjects. Or can we have multiple windows of our tute registrations opened?

Do you guys get what I mean?

HSC
use more than one tab/window. & open to the bit where it lists your units.

then you'll be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)