Private coaching vs Centre based coaching? (1 Viewer)

Private coaching vs Centre based coaching?

• Private Coaching

Votes: 348 67.6%
  • Centre-based Coaching

Votes: 167 32.4%

• Total voters

studentcheese

HSC
Hey guys, could you give me some idea why kids who are already doing very well need tutors? I can understand if a lost kid need tutoring, but when a high performing kid needs tutoring, I don't understand.

For example, my niece is in selective schools and already do quite Ok, but she would never get over 80% without having tutors. She recently moved from center-based to a private tutor in order to improve the results. The reason she gave me was that kids who had tutoring knew the topic about 3 months before being taught at the school. It looks like 80% of the kids in this selective school would drop badly in performance if they stop private tutoring.

Why is that? Does the teachers at the schools (selective ones) know how to teach the kids? When I was young I only used teachers as resources. I always learn much ahead from textbooks. I never needed tutoring or even teachers in some subjects. Why can't kids learn by themselves by reading and researching using textbooks?

It looks like these are average kids who tried so hard to be among real top kids and need constant private tutoring just to stay competitive? Or perhaps teachers at selective schools also don't know how to teach?

As you guys are in the schools, you might be able to tell me your opinions on this matter.
Not all selective school teachers are good. There are some who just get you to summarise out of a textbook and this is when tutoring is handy. There are also some teachers who believe that selective kids need to learn stuff themselves. These teachers don't teach at all! Yeah, kids could learn by themselves by reading and using textbooks, but this becomes hard because there are some concepts that need to be explained by teachers. Some kids are capable of self learning, but the loss of a classroom environment demotivates them from self learning, hence they need tutors to help them accelerate.

Usually the smart kids that get tutored are being pressured by their parents to reach their absolute best, or the kid wants to learn more. Some kids also feel advantaged if they learn ahead of what he/she is learning at school.

Last edited:

ForbiddenND

HSC
Mmm well economically speaking one and one is about the same as group tutoring usually a little bit more :S. I rekon you should go for both lol... If your asian at heart (like my parents) you'll be like why the hell would I go for both. Look at this way work hard and spend extra money for 2 years and your life will be significantly better. The advantage of one on one is that you can ask questions that you have trouble with, can go at your own pace and so on. The advantage of group tuition is that you get work,other people will ask questions which you never of thought of and the social side of it. In simple terms choose which one you want or do both :)

tanzaa

HSC
I've been with private tutoring for about 5 years now...and yes it is perfect when they are totally focused on you, but in the past two years my teacher caught up with "life" (marriage, buying new home, babies and the whole deal) and also gaining a LOT more students..(i go to her home to tutor btw) and theres been some double timing with students going on..:mad1:
before that i spent 3 years at north shore, from what I can remember I could not pick up anything -- private made things a lot clearer..
but then I'm the type that takes time to take a grasp to new things

I'm considering...most probably going to quit private and go for a coaching centre instead now, in the upcoming term. I hope things go better than my north shore years --

however, up until this point, if you have the bucks..like everyone is saying $50/h + , and also a quality teacher, then that's pretty good as they really do focus on exactly what you don't get.

sorry~ gave a mini autobiography there --

Last edited:

sunnaye

HSC
I've done both, and i'd have to say, it really depends on what type of person you are.
Like for me, i learnt better with a friend atmosphere.
But you really do feel the pressure when its one on one. T^T

Mr_Illiterate

HSC
N/A
Agree with sunnaye.

I have done both as well.

When i was getting private tutoring at my place i tends to get distracted and less focused.

While in a group environment i am generally more focused and switch-on because of the people around me. But i guess this is subject to size of the class and the level of focus of other students around you.

rolandgill98

HSC
N/A
One on one is better than the group tutoring. It will give more result.

frenchtutorRene

HSC
i think it really depends on the student and how the tutor or tutoring school structures the classes. group classes and crash courses like the academic enrichment tutoring ones coming up are small groups and so youre able to ask questions unlike bigger ones like tsfx where you can hardly hear the lecturer let alone ask him questions

HiRe education

Phys and Chem tutor
HSC
A small group of students (less than 10) is the way to go !
It's cheap.
It's focused.
And it provides a good balance between private and class atmosphere !

NSWTutors

HSC
Private for subjects like English. Weekly lessons.
Small groups for subjects like Science (Phys, Chem, Bio etc.)
Large groups for subjects like Maths with occasional help from a private tutor. Perhaps fortnightly lessons.

Leoong

HSC
I think that group tutoring is better overall as long as its done with the right people, and its less stressful than 1 on 1 environments :)
oh and all the >99.5 people at my school pretty much all went group tutoring for all their subjects (maths, sciences and english) you cant really argue with results

euro

HSC
N/A
Is not group tuition better? As you learn also from other people in the group or even you can say how well you do compared with the rest?

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Again, it should solely depend upon the person's preference and how they can adapt. So long as you have a good teacher, it shouldn't necessarily matter whether you go to a coaching centre or private tuition.

jason41188

HSC
in my opinion both the coaching formulas is not good for our society because the coaching institute owner make money on behalf of this and make a business , they just want to make money not want to give proper education for children
check this Debra Fine

thank you

jason41188

HSC
In my opinion both the coaching policies is not in favour of student and also not in favour of our society bacause today coaching institute is not a place where student go for learn the proper education because coachin institute is only a mean of business .
Check this Debra Fine
thank you

blueflavour

HSC
N/A
Hey! I desperately need a chem tutor. Would your tutor have time to tutor another person?? I live in Sydney CBD and I can travel to them. If you can help me out please reply :)

HSC
Uni Grad
Go private for english, and small group for maths (max 3). Go to a centre for phys/chem/bio.

RobertHannah89

HSC
Private is more expensive, and you don't get any information on who you're getting. They're also pretty immoral: I was once asked to tutor a subject that I had no knowledge of... They rely on the fact that it is hard to find students and peoples' prejudices towards agencies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)