Private tutor vs. company?? (1 Viewer)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
English, private tutor, in my opinion.

Maths, Chem and Phys....I went to a company - because you learn equally as much (if not more) from your peers.

HSC
I've had a toss up between a physics private tutor or Matrix...

I am looking for a low-mid 90s score. The teachers at my school suck. We don't really learn anything and nothing really sticks. Any suggestions?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

I am looking for a low-mid 90s score. The teachers at my school suck. We don't really learn anything and nothing really sticks. Any suggestions?
If you can afford Matrix then definitely give it a go there.

pencilcase

HSC
company--u know what ur gettting
mroe trustworthy
it might be mroe epxensive
but if they suck then they lose business and company would have been gone by now
word of mouth spreads really quickly
so COMPANY eg. matrix,intution,pre uni etc.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Where abouts do you live?

interesting

HSC
N/A
i reckon companies because at Matrix, they actually go by syllabus dot points and at private it's more of a, you choose what to learn kind of thing. also, i like it when u can learn off other students too instead of 1 on 1

HSC
Uni Grad
From my experience with tutoring, it was terrible. It was pretty much went like this - her speaking fluent in Japanese and I only picked up a few things and she expect me to translate it back into English and her level was pretty much Extension/Background speakers. When coming to my work for Open HS, she told me the answer, and often it was wrong when it came to marking by my teacher. She only did a page of answers and went onto listening to Japanese music or something totally irrelevant. I still don't know how to do certain things because she didn't explain it. It was pretty irritating and waste of money.

But each to their own. Some work better with tutors, others in a company.

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
Well, I'd say:
English --> must be private. Different HSC texts and different prescribed texts in a public company would be crazy
Maths/Chem/Phys/Bio --> Unless failing (under 80%), public is the best. Cheaper and if you need to ask something, you can just ask the guy next to you. Math/science isn't even hard, if you know your stuff, you won't really need to be asking much questions anyway. Just listen, go home, make notes and do the questions they give you.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad

Come to me

Me >>>>>>> Matrix

?:>

But yeah, I would go for a small group over 1-on-1 for Physics anyday. I dunno if Matrix is small group or large group?

HSC
You're a TAD too far.

I'm at the northern beaches!

OK I'm gonna go for a trial lesson for both private and tutor and see how I go!

Thanks guys

NSWTutors

HSC
Company
- Often have more resources
- Hires tutors/teachers who usually have some experience
- You need to travel to their classrooms
- Rarely get individualised support due to class situation
- Often cheaper, not always

Private tutor
- Amount of resources depends (You should be writing your own notes anyway, rather than relying on notes given to you)
- You should pick a tutor who has some experience or great marks or both
- Some tutors are willing to travel to your home
- Will give you personal support for problem areas
- Often more expensive...

Price varies, some tutors are cheap (less than $20/hr) others can go up to $100+ per hour.

Your results will vary, the biggest determinant on your results is how hard you work.
Not your teacher, not your tutor, not your school. None of that crap.

In my honest opinion, most kids don't even need tuition unless they are severely struggling with the school work.

Sit down with a good textbook, read it, make notes, ask questions if you don't understand, learn from your school teacher/friends/BoS/Wikipedia, you'll be fine

This is coming from the guy who stated NSW Tutors....

cobRAJ

HSC
well, with English, if you are just naturally bad at English, and if you have a bad teacher, it is really hard to do well in it
but yeah, I agree with NSW Tutors in regard to the other subjects not needing a tutor. Although with 4u maths, tutoring in groups MAY be beneficial, as different people solve problems differently lol

RishBonjour

HSC
So for physics, which one would be better considering my year 11 was a massive bludge, we did nothing in class, teacher couldn't care less, i am CERTAIN year 12 will be the same
so i am planning to do almost all my physics studies out of school

i contacted a few people
this guy who got 99.25 atar, i think he finished uni, is charging $30/hour with classes of 2-3 students for two hours.
Is that too expensive for individual tutors? $60 a week and $600 a term.. although i pay around $729 (12 weeks) for dr.du english tutoring (centre)

year 12 starts in a few days.. worried!

cobRAJ

HSC
as long as its good, its worth paying for
no point cheaping out and going to some terrible tutor if they wont teach you anything just for the sake of going to a tutor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)