• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

probability help!!!!!! (2 Viewers)

HSC
N/A
thanks timorty, right answer as well =) just one thing, could you show me how to do the question or explain it using product rule, tree diagram or a combination of both. and also, i was wonderin why u can use 1- P(all different colour schemes), why is it that P(at least two rooms are same coloured) + P(all different coloured) = 1?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
P(at least 2 rooms same coloured)=P(2 rooms same coloured)+P(3 rooms same coloured)+p(4 rooms same coloured)+P(5 rooms same coloured)

P(different colours)=P(1 room same coloured)

umm, tree diagram is a waste of time lol

its the same thing basically. u can draw one if u want.

HSC
N/A
yeah thanks, just one last thing - could you use product rule for the question? i just need to know how you can do it that way - thanks for evrythin so far

HSC
N/A
umm its like P(AB) = P(A) X P(B) where A and B are independent events and their outcomes do not affect each other. I know the meaning but I cannot seem to get my mind around using it for this type of question, ur thoughts tim?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
lookoutastroboy said:
umm its like P(AB) = P(A) X P(B) where A and B are independent events and their outcomes do not affect each other. I know the meaning but I cannot seem to get my mind around using it for this type of question, ur thoughts tim?
if u try to do p(2 are the same)xp(3 are the same)xP(4 are the same)xP(5 are the same) i think u need to know binomial probability. but i'm not sure.

HSC
N/A
would anyone else be able to solve this question, preferably with product rule and/or a tree diagram. help is much appreciated at this stage and i thank evryone who has contributed or even looked at the last question (the probability of at least two rooms being of the same colour scheme)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)