• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

problems with the pill (1 Viewer)

nwatts

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
or run it thru =P
not recommended for normal women atm but its wait and see

i use to know a girl on the pill and with pretty bad endometriosis...and they had lik a period non-stop w & w/o abdo pain for lik 20-30 days...
sumtimes u just have to count your blessings =S
i have a friend like this. she got a small little rod thing implanted within the top of her arm that acts as a slow release drug over a 6 month time period that cuts her periods out all together, because they're otherwise debilitating.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
nwatts said:
i have a friend like this. she got a small little rod thing implanted within the top of her arm that acts as a slow release drug over a 6 month time period that cuts her periods out all together, because they're otherwise debilitating.
subdermal implant

<3 senior science

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
nwatts said:
Implanon ...

yeah its fantastic.. but u need to make sure that the endometriosis isnt pathological.. cos there are some cases where it extends up to the stomach... and as high as the lung bases...

also u need a goto doctor.. that is accredited with putting it in..otherwise its fails very easily.

nwatts

HSC
for painkillers

take a combination of tramadol, ibuprofen and codeine and you are not going to feel a thing for 4 hours solid. i got prescriptions of tramal for when i broke my foot, take one with two panadeine forte (paracetamol + codeine) and then just go to a chemist and get strait ibuprofen tablets (very cheap) and take two. make sure you've had a bit to eat, or the ibuprofen will upset your stomach. the combination of codeine and tramadol in your brain will pretty much flatten you, and the ibuprofen will kill a lot of the pain.

a few things to be careful of: too much paracetamol will kill you, make sure you look at what you're taking to ensure you wake up with a liver; too much ibuprofen will simply make you spew, a waste of expensive drugs, and not fun; codeine and tramal are addictive.

nwatts

HSC
just tell your doctor that panadeine forte isn't strong enough, ask for "tramal" it's not cheap but it works

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
tramadol is pretty good but it may not be strong enough... and also should be used cautiously in seizures and with some old stlye antidepressants

they are also PBS-Restricted so they wont be that cheap if u dun meet the criteria... and its a strict criteria..

also different GPs have different experiences with different painkillers.. so u might end up with fenatyl or more codeine .. or in ure case hopefully a referral to a good gynecologist..

natstar: have you got that checked up? cos that doesnt sound quiet right.. i know a link a lil unsure and dun want to cause panic.. but i reckon you should see a doctor..

btw the advice about ibuprofen isnt quite right.. last yr i had a pt with endometriosis (i dun treat them.. i just take a history and do physicals and then watch) .. she ended up in hospital because she took lik 4-6 tabs of the ibuprofen with codeine everyday for 6 months (even tho its not actualli recommended to use both together cos they arent tat good).. i think ibuprofen is still one of the worse over the counter drugs.. long story short.. she had a ruptured stomach ulcer...

and bad news is that food wont make much of a difference to her getting a problem...

cerpin taxt

HSC
4-6 tablets is ridiculous. you'll either throw them up or they'll kill your stomach lining. especially if you don't take them with food. it was stupid of her to be doing that every day.

and why isn't it recommended you take the two together? i believe they even sell nurofen "plus" as an ibuprofen and codeine painkiller.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
e.g. nurofen plus
there is no proven efficacy.. compared to ibuprofen alone
it can cause more adverse effects..

yeah i dunno the food thing seems to be myth... cos i have never EVER read it with ibuprofen..
in fact food doesnt even slow absorption down much nor prevent adveerse events.. u would be more worried about ure stomach mucus lining disappearing or having a heart attack..

alby

cool duckie
HSC
Malfoy said:
The pill is good because it's contraceptive, but it makes me feel quite nauseous unless I have food in my stomach at the time I take it and it doesn't have much effect.
my most recent pill box has a sticker on it 'to be taken with or soon after food'. i havent really been nauseous at all, but i had a bit of reflux once...and i dont think i'd eaten much before that. food with pill is probably a good idea, espically if it's got a tendancy to make you feel sick

alby

cool duckie
HSC
i never used to make an effort to, but i guess it depends on what time you take it

this' the first time the sticker's been on there, but its probably better than it foaming up in an empty stomach

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)