Procrastinate with me- Answerful (1 Viewer)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
So I've got two mid semester exams this coming monday. Yet I can't bring myself to go hard out :s...

Question

What's your favorite song at the moment to procrastinate to? I'm listening to Shake it Off Mariah Carey :p

People answer and add questions to it.. I'll come back every now and again to answer the new questions and everyone else should too.

Let the procrastination begin

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
clairegirl said:
So I've got two mid semester exams this coming monday. Yet I can't bring myself to go hard out :s...

Question

What's your favorite song at the moment to procrastinate to? I'm listening to Shake it Off Mariah Carey :p

People answer and add questions to it.. I'll come back every now and again to answer the new questions and everyone else should too.

I would like to force this procrastination to end but I won't as one needs to procrastinate at one point to relax to recharge oneself.

My favourite song at the moment is frontline by pillar. I suggest you listen to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-3gmRslIks

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
clairegirl said:

Question

Since the other person didn't offer a question, I'll ignore their post!

Favourite song: Damien Rice - Cold Water (learning on my new classical guitar, very sexy sound)

Question: What do you snack on for your all-nighters?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Tea, biscuits (mmm scotch fingers dipped in tea is yummy), chocolate, vita-wheats with vegemite and cheese....I snack a lot.

What's your favourite videos on youtube when you're procrastinating?

mserica

HSC
melsc said:
Tea, biscuits (mmm scotch fingers dipped in tea is yummy), chocolate, vita-wheats with vegemite and cheese....I snack a lot.

What's your favourite videos on youtube when you're procrastinating?

ahhh the tea and the scotch fingers are being enjoyed right now - whilst im trying to finish off this ever so boring PSY234 Essay

My Question: im on a mission to find the best Yum Cha - where do you think the best place is?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
melanieeeee. said:
all day 5 days a week.

what are the things you usually do when you procrastinate?
Probably Internet-searching where I just watch stuffs (mainly music vidoes combined with anime & music) from Youtube or look at my school's website.

Last edited:

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
fav food to snack on: jelly
fav video: past episodes of biggest loser that i've missed
best yum cha: hrrm i dont really like chinese food... but i guess the best yum cha i've ever had was somewhere in the city, i dont remember where, it's been so long ago

Do you talk to people on your msn list, that you havnt spoken to in a lonnnng time just because your procrastinating?

Kegs

HSC
Pasta with pesto and home-grown mushrooms.

Do you hangout with siblings/parents/flatmates to avoid studying? If so, what do you like to do?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I like to hang out with my mum when I'm procrastinating, because she's awesome and always tells me how hard I'm working and so I deserve some "time off". Thats the one thing I miss about living at home. I also procrastinate with my youngest brother and watch YouTube videos of skaters stacking and hurting their.. sensitive parts (which always makes me squimesh!)

Question: How often do you check your email? And which provider do you use for your email (hotmail, gmail etc)?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Gmail, have everything routed there, and usually open in a browser all the time!

Question: When you're falling asleep, but this assignment is due tomorrow, how do you keep yourself up when your eyes are tiring, the cold of 3am is starting to hit, and you just want to go to bed?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Take a break, have a cup of tea (to keep your hands warm), run your feet under hot water in the bath and then put on fluffy socks. Find a mini heater and put it on full-blast. And, of course, put on some motivating music (I personally like "Canned Heat" by jamiroquai) and jump around a bit.

Why, do you have a long night ahead of you, Mike?

Question: Do you think fast food companies should be held liable for obesity? (I admit this is for an assessment and I want your opinions).

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I had one last night, had an assignment due, and hadn't pulled an all nighter for a long time, and it destroyed me haha. Ended up having a microsleep next to the fan on the laptop cos it was the warmest thing I could find. Never had trouble staying up before, but being an old, working adult, its getting harder!

Answer: I don't think they should be liable, but they are not without fault. I think the schemes to make healthier alternatives has certainly helped, but overall, it should be a case of city planning. When I went to NY I couldn't find a place which wasn't a fast food outlet, so there was no alternative and so fast food became almost 'essential' dining. If people are going to eat themselves into obesity by eating nothing BUT fast food, then they deserve Darwin awards. For those with more serious problems, then thats a different matter, since they'll eat anything, regardless of whether its fast food or otherwise.

Tabris

HSC
Coffee, exercise and music.
MaryJane said:
Question: Do you think fast food companies should be held liable for obesity? (I admit this is for an assessment and I want your opinions).
Heres some economics perspective

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.0002-9092.2005.00697.x

Also:

The Biasing Health Halos of Fast-Food Restaurant Health Claims: Lower Calorie Estimates and Higher Side-Dish Consumption Intentions, Journal of Consumer Research, October 2007, v. 34, iss. 3, pp. 301-14

The McDonald's Equilibrium: Advertising, Empty Calories, and the Endogenous Determination of Dietary Preferences, Social Choice and Welfare, December 2004, v. 23, iss. 3, pp. 383-413 Which can be found here:

http://www.springerlink.com.simsrad.net.ocs.mq.edu.au/content/46rxhh5u8mygg1rd/fulltext.pdf

Obesity and Nutrient Consumption: A Rational Addiction? Richards, Timothy J.; Patterson, Paul M.; Tegene, Abebayehu; Contemporary Economic Policy, July 2007, v. 25, iss. 3, pp. 309-24

Heres my very rough economics story

The Market: People who want fast food (consumers) and those who are willing to sell it (Maccas).

Consumer is constrained by income, resource, time and information constraints.
Maccas however, has information about food that deters consumers (nutrition etc.)

Therefore imperfect/asymmetric information.

i.e. Consumer wants Big Mac but really doesnt want a big Mac if he knew it was a fat bomb and artery clogger, consumer gets fat because he doesnt know and Maccas knows this and get away with it.

Result: inefficient and non-utility maximising/rational consumer decision caused by asymmetric information

Rectification: Government intervention to shift risk and liability so as to promote utility maximising/rational decision.

How: Change the rules and penalties and make Maccas give information (e.g. nutrition and health risks), adjust penalty for noncompliance so it acts as an incentive for maccas to give as much information as it is economically feasible for them to signal (e.g. post up nutrition charts and effective warnings)

New result: Consumer knows he is eating a fat bomb and cant complain if he is getting fat obese because he made a rational economic decision given the income, time, resource and information avalible.

Morale of the story: Govt intervene in market for a more efficient outcome and when this outcome is achieved, no liability exists.

If u want more about information asymmetry (and application in other areas of choice), check up Market for Lemons by George Akerlof (he won a "Nobel Prize" in economics for this) as well as works by George Stigler and other Chicago School Economists.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I counted one Subway near where we were staying, but the rest we're your run of the mill stuff. We eventually found a little Japanese restaurant which sustained us for the week a few blocks away though!

But there wasn't really anywhere we could just buy fresh food, and cook it ourselves :(

HSC
N/A
How to not fall asleep: Jump up and down, lots of mini goal-setting so you're motivated to continue working. Don't underestimate the power of motivation and inspiration!

Q: What do you have for breakfast and how much time do you leave for breakfast? (I normally run out of time, surely there must be a trick to sleeping in, making it to work on time AND not screwing the metabolism over)

EDIT: I'm more tired now than I used to be due to work too :( All that mental strain...!! I can totally understand why some adults grow up into sedentary, boring creatures now. Although I will try to never become one myself...

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
glitterfairy said:
How to not fall asleep: Jump up and down, lots of mini goal-setting so you're motivated to continue working. Don't underestimate the power of motivation and inspiration!

Q: What do you have for breakfast and how much time do you leave for breakfast? (I normally run out of time, surely there must be a trick to sleeping in, making it to work on time AND not screwing the metabolism over)

EDIT: I'm more tired now than I used to be due to work too :( All that mental strain...!! I can totally understand why some adults grow up into sedentary, boring creatures now. Although I will try to never become one myself...
Get insomnia, and you won't fall asleep too often, but you'll feel like shit on top of it. Lol.

I don't actually eat breakfast heaps, if I do it's only milk and biscuits or some such. It's a stark contrast to my dinner, which can often consist of freakish amounts of food lol. How much do you sleep a night?

I'm sure you'll be a bundle of joy and imagination even when you're older, don't worry too much. Even though I don't know you haha... but somebody with the name 'glitterfairy' will generally be pretty interesting lol

*hopeful*

HSC
glitterfairy said:

i normally have a relaxed breakfast of about 30 mins on wkends otherwise not more than 10 minutes on wkdays (if i have time) toast and tea or cereal
most days im running late and have nothing till im in the car and then have some fruit or a muesli bar

is it really bad of me to plan a weekend away (interstate) on the may 24th wkend - its about 3 weeks before my 1st exam ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)