• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

projectile motion HELP , PLEASE !! (1 Viewer)

stevenboh

HSC
hi the assignment asked me to give an explanation of the physical principles related to the understanding of projectile motion.

can someone guide me on what to wright , thanks !

so far i got
" A projectile is an object launched into air that experiences one force that is weight due to gravity. When a projectile is fired, it follows a parabolic path. The distance an object travels is dependent on the initial velocity of the object and the angle which it was fired at.

The velocity of the projectile at any given time is made up of the vertical and horizontal components. By using Pythagoras we can find the velocity. We set the vertical component as the y value and the horizontal component as the x value. Then solve to find the velocity.

The x component is always constant because it doesn’t receive any additional horizontal force after the initial velocity. The y component experiences a deceleration when the object is reaching its maximum height and acceleration is experienced when being directed to the ground. The force experienced is due to gravity.

Since the x component has no acceleration and stays constant , the acceleration in equations used need to be 0. We can predict where the projectile will land when we are given certain information and using equations in line motion. "

am i on the right track ?

HSC
hi the assignment asked me to give an explanation of the physical principles related to the understanding of projectile motion.

so far i got
" A projectile is an object launched into air that experiences one force that is weight due to gravity. When a projectile is fired, it follows a parabolic path. The distance an object travels is dependent on the initial velocity of the object and the angle which it was fired at.

The velocity of the projectile at any given time is made up of the vertical and horizontal components. By using Pythagoras we can find the velocity. We set the vertical component as the y value and the horizontal component as the x value. Then solve to find the velocity.

The x component is always constant because it doesn’t receive any additional horizontal force after the initial velocity. The y component experiences a deceleration when the object is reaching its maximum height and acceleration is experienced when being directed to the ground. The force experienced is due to gravity.

Since the x component has no acceleration and stays constant , the acceleration in equations used need to be 0. We can predict where the projectile will land when we are given certain information and using equations in line motion. "

you should define the direction in whch the acceleration is..

Last edited:

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A

so far i got

well man, you got a basic understand of it, from what you are saying, but i hope this isnt what you intend to hand in as part of your assignment?

to start off, consider some of these pointers.

talk about the history of projectile motion perhaps, for e.g.it was Galileo who first accurately described projectile motion, he demonstrated this by analysing horizontal and vertical components seperately, nobody had founded this prior to him.

consider maybe an explanation of some formula, the basics for projectile motion ux = ucostheta & uy = u sintheta

the whole concept behind it, for instance:

Galileo reasoned that a projectile is not only influenced by one motion, but by two. The motion that acts vertically is the force of gravity, and this pulls an object towards the earth at 9.8 meters per second. But while gravity is pulling the object down, the projectile is also moving forward, horizontally at the same time. And this horizontal motion is uniform and constant according to Galileo's principle of inertia. He was indeed able to show that a projectile is controlled by two independent motions, and these work together to create a precise mathematical curve. He actually found that the curve has an exact mathematical shape. A shape that the Greeks had already studied and called the parabola. The conclusion that Galileo reached was that the path of any projectile is a parabola.

talk about maybe everyday applications of projectile motion, it could be from one of your physics pracs or just more general applications:

for instance:

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object projected into the air at an angle. A few examples of this include a soccer ball begin kicked, a baseball begin thrown, or an athlete long jumping. Even fireworks and water fountains are examples of projectile motion.

well, hope this helps :)

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
"A projectile is an object launched into air that experiences one force that is its weight due to gravity. When a projectile is fired, it follows a parabolic path. The distance an object travels is dependent on the initial velocity of the object and the angle which it was fired at.

The velocity of the projectile at any given time can be separated into vertical and horizontal components. By using Pythagoras we can find the velocity. We set the vertical component as the y value and the horizontal component as the x value. Then solve to find the velocity.

The x component is always constant because the projectile doesn’t receive any additional horizontal force after gaining its initial velocity. //The y component experiences a deceleration (not necessarily, because some projectiles are fired downwards, in which case the gravitational force accelerates the object) when the object is reaching its maximum height and acceleration is experienced when being directed to the ground. The force experienced is due to gravity.//

Note: underline means 'eliminate it'

I will rather write instead of //text// part:
The vertical component is subject to constant downward acceleration due to gravity.

If fired upwards, the projectile will, at one point (vertex of parabola), have zero vertical velocity. This is achieved at the maximum height.

Since the x component has no acceleration and stays constant, the horizontal acceleration in equations used need to be 0. We can predict the range when we are given adequate information, using equations of uniform linear motion."

Some advice: Try incorporating mathematical equations in your analysis. It would improve the quality of your response and show that you understand projectile motion thoroughly.
It might be a good idea to try some past exam questions on projectile motion - you might discover something that you forgot to mention.
Also, answer all syllabus dotpoints related to projectile motion (except pracs lols)

Last edited:

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
well man, you got a basic understand of it, from what you are saying, but i hope this isnt what you intend to hand in as part of your assignment?

to start off, consider some of these pointers.

talk about the history of projectile motion perhaps, for e.g.it was Galileo who first accurately described projectile motion, he demonstrated this by analysing horizontal and vertical components seperately, nobody had founded this prior to him.

consider maybe an explanation of some formula, the basics for projectile motion ux = ucostheta & uy = u sintheta

the whole concept behind it, for instance:

Galileo reasoned that a projectile is not only influenced by one motion, but by two. The motion that acts vertically is the force of gravity, and this pulls an object towards the earth at 9.8 meters per second. But while gravity is pulling the object down, the projectile is also moving forward, horizontally at the same time. And this horizontal motion is uniform and constant according to Galileo's principle of inertia. He was indeed able to show that a projectile is controlled by two independent motions, and these work together to create a precise mathematical curve. He actually found that the curve has an exact mathematical shape. A shape that the Greeks had already studied and called the parabola. The conclusion that Galileo reached was that the path of any projectile is a parabola.

talk about maybe everyday applications of projectile motion, it could be from one of your physics pracs or just more general applications:

for instance:

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object projected into the air at an angle. A few examples of this include a soccer ball begin kicked, a baseball begin thrown, or an athlete long jumping. Even fireworks and water fountains are examples of projectile motion.

well, hope this helps :)
But OP asked for an explanation of Physics behind projectile motion.

So I don't think too much history (although it might be worth mentioning) is needed. IMO, practical applications are unnecessary.

stevenboh

HSC
sorry but just one more thing, it say i need to investigate the velocity of water from a hose. the velocity of the water would be constantly changing tho, am i to find the inital velocity of the water , or the final ?

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A
But OP asked for an explanation of Physics behind projectile motion.

So I don't think too much history (although it might be worth mentioning) is needed. IMO, practical applications are unnecessary.

well sorry for not reading the question properly, it was kinda rushed ya know.

anyway, im sure all i said, some maybe not all, will help out, if nobody likes it..lump it :)

sorry but just one more thing, it say i need to investigate the velocity of water from a hose. the velocity of the water would be constantly changing tho, am i to find the inital velocity of the water , or the final ?

as for velocity of water from a hose, doesnt that relate more to fluid mechanics?

you can mention viscosity being a factor in the way water is discharged from the hose, consider that the velocity of water varies inversely with the cross section of the hoseline and nozzle tip.

you can further relate this too Bernoulli's equation is just conservation of energy.
Notice that if the nozzle is of smaller diameter, the velocity of the fluid must increase,
since the fluid is incompressible. Then, since the kinetic energy term increases and
assuming the height does not change, the pressure must decrease.

yeah im not sure how this is related to projectile motion?

not sure if you came across the formula Q=VA discharge = velocity times area, i think your question is related to this?
</pre>

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Maybe it's about the symmetry of parabola.
If it relates to projectile motion, it might be something like having a concave down parabolic path of water and then finding the final velocity (at equal vertical height) which will be then equal to the initial velocity, if we look at it at the HSC level (not equal in reality due to other factors).

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A
well you could be right, but i dont remember doing anything like that in physics back in HSC, this to me sounds more like fluid mechanics principles, but ofcourse it can be related to projectile motion, the way the water is discharged from the hose nozzle forming a parabolic path, but its more fluid mechanics just to let ya know.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
well you could be right, but i dont remember doing anything like that in physics back in HSC, this to me sounds more like fluid mechanics principles, but ofcourse it can be related to projectile motion, the way the water is discharged from the hose nozzle forming a parabolic path, but its more fluid mechanics just to let ya know.
Yeah I agree but this is for the HSC so I don't think we should use fluid mechanics here.
Not that I know about it anyway lols

At least that final velocity idea is related to the HSC

stevenboh

HSC
yeh we havnt learnt anything about fluid mechanics in physics yet, but it was very interesting researching it and learning about viscosity and resitance to fluid. i think u need to know viscosity when u do hydrological applications ?

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Hi, this assignment is making me confused.. i dont think i really need to carry out the experiment . Check the attachments, the image is the assignment sheet , the other is part 1 of my assignment.

As you can see, in the outcomes, it talks about newtons laws, laws of conservation of energy , have i shown these outcomes in my assignment ?

i think part 1 is theory and part 2 is partical ?
Yeah, you are right. Part 1 only requires explaining and planning while Part 2 requires an actual experiment to be conducted.
The report seems pretty good although I don't like "You may shock yourself" - the use of 2nd person lols.

And good idea to fix "4. measure the distance (x) of where the water was fired to where it lands."
to "4. Measure the distance (x) as shown on the diagram using the ruler"

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)