Proposed changes to the Mathematics syllabus: Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
But I don't think Carrotsticks would care at all if we did lol

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Integrand where r u need help with a question in the prelim physics thread

AusHam

HSC
As you all know, the gears are now moving to work towards constructing the new Mathematics syllabus, for all levels of Mathematics.

Here is the Draft Writing Brief for the calculus-based courses (Advanced, Extension 1 and 2 Mathematics). The proposed course contents are listed starting from Page 17.

I will be attending a BOSTES face-to-face consultation meeting tomorrow to pass on my feedback on the proposed syllabus with regards to the calculus-based courses (won't be saying what I think here though, it would be an entire paper in itself!).

What are your opinions on the changes? I would be happy to pass on any relevant feedback that you may have as part of my submission.
As a qualified mathematics teacher and a graduate of an engineering degree, I strongly welcome these changes.

The existing MEX2 course in my opinion is too abstract, particularly in the conics and circular motion topics. Also, not enough statistics and probability is covered at an advance level in high school which made it difficult for me, as a university student, to grasp concepts such as the central limit theorem or bayes rule.

as an engineering undergraduate at the time, I seriously felt cheated by the NSW system for not properly preparing me for tertiary level mathematics subjects

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
As a qualified mathematics teacher and a graduate of an engineering degree, I strongly welcome these changes.

The existing MEX2 course in my opinion is too abstract, particularly in the conics and circular motion topics. Also, not enough statistics and probability is covered at an advance level in high school which made it difficult for me, as a university student, to grasp concepts such as the central limit theorem or bayes rule.

as an engineering undergraduate at the time, I seriously felt cheated by the NSW system for not properly preparing me for tertiary level mathematics subjects
I think it's a little too late to discuss this given that the meeting was over...

leehuan

HSC

I think it's a little too late to discuss this given that the meeting was over...
Yep.

And also I half disagree anyway. Conics is very useless and needed to be scrapped since ages ago, however given how much the HSC physics course is dumbed down something had to compensate and I found circular motion one of the better things of the course.

Whilst it was about time that the emphasis on probability was increased, Bayes rule made sense to me on the day.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Yep.

And also I half disagree anyway. Conics is very useless and needed to be scrapped since ages ago, however given how much the HSC physics course is dumbed down something had to compensate and I found circular motion one of the better things of the course.

Whilst it was about time that the emphasis on probability was increased, Bayes rule made sense to me on the day.
Isn't circular motion useful?

leehuan

HSC
I wouldn't say anything taught in the HSC is useful compared to real world maths (rather stepping stones for uni).

But I'm saying that I would rather circular motion be kept.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I wouldn't say anything taught in the HSC is useful compared to real world maths (rather stepping stones for uni).

But I'm saying that I would rather circular motion be kept.
Uh yeah

AusHam

HSC
Circular motion is useful if your interested in studying mechanical engineering. physics or aerospace engineering. Anyone who wants to study actuarial
or pure maths might think otherwise.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Circular motion is useful if your interested in studying mechanical engineering. physics or aerospace engineering. Anyone who wants to study actuarial
or pure maths might think otherwise.
As long as it's a problem that's physically impossible, I'm willing to do it.

e.g. an insect capable of maintaining a perfect self-relative velocity while it's on a spinning disc.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Yep.

I disagree.

Conical sections can be used to trisect arbitrary angles and are used in multi-lateration.

Of course, the HSC doesn't teach any of that...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)