Prospective Med Students 2006 (1 Viewer)

adrenaline88

Medicine...
HSC
Hey there,

I thought I'd start a thread for all students in year 12 2005 who are applying for entry into Medicine.

First let me just congratulate everyone who's considering pursuing Medicine. Good for you!!

Anyways I've made this thread so that all prospective medical students can meet and talk.

Cheers,
Ray

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i wouldnt post my email.. unless u lik spam.. .ALOT!
im not a prospective med student.... but i figure id bump ure thread :)

congrats... if u make it or not, u are on the way for a very interesting ride..

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
Welll I'm probably going to try for medicine.. if not, there's always teaching. I haven't decided completely yet.

veridis

droog
HSC
i'm pretty sure about going for med. probably newcastle cause its shorter, more interview based(yay) and from what i've read a better course
hoping to eventualy do psych but that could change a million times before i decide

adrenaline88

Medicine...
HSC
Hey veridis,
Yeh I've read the newcastle has more of an interview-based entry, and it's one of the few aussie medical degrees accepted in the UK and Singapore!

veridis

droog
HSC
that i did not know
wonder if i could get a job near highbury or ashburton grove then.....

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
adrenaline88 said:
Hey veridis,
Yeh I've read the newcastle has more of an interview-based entry, and it's one of the few aussie medical degrees accepted in the UK and Singapore!
newcastle base selection purely on the interview score (if thats what you meant by interview based entry). UMAT is used for tie breakers and you need to get over 93.8 or credit avg(incompleted tertiary studies).

i think most australian med grads can register in the UK, not so sure about singapore tho

inasero

Reborn
HSC
its not that great a deal gaining accreditation in commonwealth countries (unlike the situation in the US)...so Newcastle isn't that great as it sounds.

veridis

droog
HSC
Bob.J said:
newcastle base selection purely on the interview score (if thats what you meant by interview based entry). UMAT is used for tie breakers and you need to get over 93.8 or credit avg(incompleted tertiary studies).
exactly why i wanna go there more. personaly i'm expecting 96/97ish so would have to have outstanding UMAT and interview to get in to UNSW. getting a good interview i'm confident of, getting on good enough to compensate for my UAI at UNSW is a bit beyond me, and would stress me out so my interview would be worse

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
inasero said:
its not that great a deal gaining accreditation in commonwealth countries (unlike the situation in the US)...so Newcastle isn't that great as it sounds.
yer thats the wrong point..
Newcastle is good cos it has implemented the PBL course longest.. and most thoroughly..

lala2

Banned
HSC
what is the minimum passing score expected for UMAT, and what would be the UAIs of those that usually pass? (just a general UAI range would do). many of my friends are hoping to enter, and I just wanted to try out (though if I don't enter, it's not the end of the world--I could enter other 'lower' health science-related courses).

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
I'm pretty much just trying for it - I don't want to be devastated if I don't get in, so I'm just treating it as an option. There will only be 1 university that I'll apply to... I wanted to do vet sci if not medicine, but melbourne doesn't have the best accomodation. I wouldn't want to do nursing, or physio or pharmacy.. none of those interest me at all.

I'm worried I'll choke up on the interview! Just being on the spot like that might mess me up a bit, and if I think if it's really important to me it'll be worse, which is why I'm making it not a big deal.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
lala2 said:
what is the minimum passing score expected for UMAT, and what would be the UAIs of those that usually pass? (just a general UAI range would do). many of my friends are hoping to enter, and I just wanted to try out (though if I don't enter, it's not the end of the world--I could enter other 'lower' health science-related courses).
i think again.. this is dependent on wat uni u dun mind goin to..
UAI minimum is about 95 (UNSW) 90 (Adel) 93.8 (newcastle) 95 (Melb) 96 (UWA)
i cant remember exactly.. but that would be the minimum to remain competitive..

id say 98 will be the minimum score to get in.. cos lik i kno very few with less than 98 unless u get special entry scheme

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
For UMAT there's no real "passing score", each university has their own performance thresholds (mostly undisclosed). Rankings in the 80s and above are respectable, but many people go on to interviews with a section or two below that. Like Alvin said, it depends on which universities you apply to.

(on a lighter note, anyone who says they only want to study at UNSW will get live infectious cultures sent to their house)

veridis

droog
HSC
what of? if its interesting i may take you up on that offer =)
nah but serz if i dont get med at newc i think i'll prob do summin at UNSW

not sure about scored for other unis but newcastle in more UMAt focused. as lnog as you get over the 93.8 UAI threshold thats all that matters. UMAT and interview equally important for if you get in. i think UMAT percentiles of about 225 get most people in. probably a lil lower for other unis that use UAI more

inasero

Reborn
HSC
on a lighter note, anyone who says they only want to study at UNSW will get live infectious cultures sent to their house
sif you have any 'live infectious cultures' in the first place! Anyways, they may have a legitimate reason for wanting to study only at UNSW. e.g., geographical inconvenience, financial difficulties.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
veridis said:
what of? if its interesting i may take you up on that offer =)
nah but serz if i dont get med at newc i think i'll prob do summin at UNSW

not sure about scored for other unis but newcastle in more UMAt focused. as lnog as you get over the 93.8 UAI threshold thats all that matters. UMAT and interview equally important for if you get in. i think UMAT percentiles of about 225 get most people in. probably a lil lower for other unis that use UAI more
robert gets that live infectious culture.. from his ass.. im certain of it.. thats how id do it if i were bored..

actualli in newcastle i thought it was interview ranked..
lik
1) interview is top 70ish
2) if 2 interviews of equal rank then UMAT is used to differentiate..
3) to get a place they also must hav UAI 93.8+

actualli newcastle is fairly high in UMAT but i think UWA UMATs are higher..

inasero

Reborn
HSC
e.coli is hardly what I'd call an 'infectious' culture...how bout u come over some time and I get you some Clostridium aye Bob? Whadaya say? :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
UTS microbiology love me enough to give me free reign of the research labs. Don't fuck with me, I know where your parents live. (With you!) :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)