• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Prospective Med Students 2006 (1 Viewer)

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
yer newcastle is 1337 tho..
lik heaps of ppl who apply are actualli grad applicants.. :S freaked me out
yeah, weird thing is though, i emailed tracey bristow and she told me they offer out 30% of places to tertiary/grad, the other 70% is for school leavers. They allocate the places in the same ratio as the number of applicants.
ie. 30% of the 2200 that applied were nonstandard and 70% were yr 12 ppl
Unless she meant 30% of the 400 interviewed. hmm

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yer.. i think its good.. but lik intimidating if the other person has a nursing degree or science degree.. when u got good ole yr12..

in my yr.. all are yr 12s.. only school leavers..

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
yeh, adelaide is tight with anyone other than a school leaver
don't they allow a few internal transfers for adelaide non school leavers

rockstar01

HSC
Is there any university that is easier than most to get into for undergrad med? What sort of UAI and Umat scores do u need.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Bond if you're rich...I found from experience that UWA and Adelaide are easier...Monash is pretty easy too.

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
inasero said:
I should educate you on the difference between 'nerd' and 'geek'. When you say 'nerd' you should think about Stephen Hawking or Einstein. Someone who is studious and passionate about their acadmics and has a limited social life. 'Geek' on the other hand is some one who has a limited social life and is interested in some things, notably computer hardware, computer specifications, programming, comic books, role playing games, fantasy, star wars/trek, japanese anime and must know at least three languages (basic being english, darlek and COBOL). Must not necessarily be intelligent. Prime example is the comic store guy from the simpsons (or lexicographer, also a selg confessed geek :p). Of course I realise the irony that writing a thorough critique on the differences makes me a nerd eheh.

As for the 'financial difficulty' bit, going to UNSW will not disadvantage you unless you are from interstate. I mean, all unis charge the same HECS for medicine and similar uni amenities fees.
I had no idea there was such a detailed and elaborate difference - I spend all my spare time watching programs on string theory and arranging my m&ms by colour (i did try sorting them alphabetically once... it does work very well...) and so obviously have a somewhat "limited social life"... I guess that makes me a purebred "nerd" =o (... and i can see what u mean aout lexi... ;p)

Yeah... HECS wouldnt be the financial discriminant... I was thinking more living costs - Sydney's more expensive than most, and some of us wont have parents to live with... ;p

Last edited:

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Oxford makes life easy :p

nerd
· n. informal, chiefly US a person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious.

geek /gi;k/
· n. informal, chiefly N. Amer. an unfashionable or socially inept person.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm, making fun of me in medland?

Meh. I can't be bothered putting pictures of cadavers into your signatures.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
inasero said:
Bond if you're rich...I found from experience that UWA and Adelaide are easier...Monash is pretty easy too.
actualli UWA is a bitch about places.. esp given to yr12 leavers from other states..
Adel seems harder this yr.. a few ppl who were well qualified got rejected.. but it relys on interviews..

umm with the Adel transfer places.. they were ONLY full-fee and MRBS.. no HECS bonded or non-bonded..

inasero

Reborn
HSC
actualli UWA is a bitch about places.. esp given to yr12 leavers from other states..
Don't think so otherwise I wouldn't have gotten that DENT offer which is more difficult in WA then getting the MED offer. And about Adelaide, it might be harder as you say but it's still easy otherwise you or Austin wouldnt' be there! (Ohh cheap shot comin' at ya!). :) But in all seriousness, Adelaide is comparatively easier to enter.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
nah this yr..
a heap of ppl got rejected :S especialli interstaters.. but lik a couple of SA kids with good marks got fucked.. umm ok.. im convinced :p
actualli i got the same :p in UWA as u.. Dent is given to more interstaters.. srsly.. UWA = biatch.. mabbe u got lucky :p lolz.. but relatively.. its tougher than gettin a interview at newc..

Keen

MD
HSC
Oh come on!
Adelaide is the easiest uni to get into in one sense if you have what they want.
I mean all you need is a 90.0+ anything more they don't care.
You need UMAT percentiles of about 220+ if you do and get an interview it doesn't really matter anymore (only to differentiate between interviews given the same score)
And then it really just comes down to the interview. So if you've got what they want then you're in!

Keen

ishq

brown?
HSC
inasero said:
But in all seriousness, Adelaide is comparatively easier to enter.

Define 'easy'? In terms of UAI and UMAT scores, that is.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
If you don't have the assumed knowledge of the 3 sciences, does it disadvantage you during the selection process?

Oh and how hard is the UMAT test? (How much is it too and When?)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
amoz_lilo said:
If you don't have the assumed knowledge of the 3 sciences, does it disadvantage you during the selection process?

Oh and how hard is the UMAT test? (How much is it too and When?)
Depends on the university. Some have science prerequisites (like Tasmania), others don't.

As for UMAT FAQs, go to www.acer.edu.au and find out for yourself!

Keen

MD
HSC
Adelaide, having hte prerequisites isn't advantageous, although many say having done biology can help significantly (I'd disagree - at least QLD biology which is a joke) but the rest haven't been of help to the course at date.

Keen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)