Prospective Med Students 2006 (1 Viewer)

krakatoa

HSC
i've heard the umat requires a lot of speed..?

what i gather is most uni's rank based on interview, with uai and umat only prereq?
thought it was the other way round..interesting.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
nope the unis have different prerequisites....but generally they rank according to one of two methods:
1) do UMAT and high scorers are offered interviews...final score being combination of UAI and interview
2) do UMAT and high scorers offered interviews, final score is a combination of each of the factors.

Except UNSW, they're weird.....

krakatoa

HSC
that's clear now...
im guessin you do med.

you remember the order of your preferences for med?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yes they do.. GPA 5.5 is the minimum of usyd.. (its a Distinction average.. i think)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
krakatoa said:
that's clear now...
im guessin you do med.

you remember the order of your preferences for med?
yep:

unsw
newcastle
melbourne
monash
western australia
tasmania

Zali

HSC
Is ure order of prefs for med important anyway (except when u decide which 1 to go to if u get more than 1 ofer). I mean you could hav both newcastle, adelaide, melbourne, jcu and WA all as ure 1st prefs cant u cos u apply separately through uac, qtac etc? ud only need to worry about it with nucle/unsw & monash/melbourne.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Yep exactly right...the centers don't share preference information because their jurisdiction is for different statewide unis. Although I'm not sure about how VTAC and TISC (WA) got my UAI...so they probably share UAI information.

Oops I forgot one exception
UTas preferences are administered through VTAC so do not list UTas medicine on your VTAC prefs. Instead, apply directly to UTas via their website and that way you can have them both as first preferences and maximise your chances of getting more than one offer.

My mistake two years ago was that I was a bit confused and I applied to UTas directly and also via VTAC, so the VTAC preferences dominated (they sent me a letter explaining something to that effect). In all honesty, I'm pretty sure that I would have received a UTas offer otherwise because my scores were quite good but hey, I'm not complaining I got into a med school at least which is all I wanted.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
hey everyone, you should really consider UWS medical entry

heres some info

Info here and here

Last edited:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
I would personally advise against it as its a new medical school and their course hasn't been given the final AMC accreditation. Though if you don't get into UNCLE or UNSW, or you live around that area it might be an appealing option for you.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
depends on where they get their course from?..

like certain schools.. when they started the new system bought it.. others tried to make their own.. the latter have been more buggy...

yes.. wait tilll they get full accreditatation
but i think besides funding.. i have very lil major concern about their course..

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I have no concern with a course offered at a (mostly) public university in Australia. At least you know with UWS (unlike some other universities) their goal is to train doctors rather than make money.

Saul

*ss
HSC
hehe i leave this forum for ages and still the same people on the med entry forums.

heehee

Saul

*ss
HSC
oh fully! well done~ i didn't even notice.

where you at now?

theone123

blue essence
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
depends on where they get their course from?..

like certain schools.. when they started the new system bought it.. others tried to make their own.. the latter have been more buggy...

yes.. wait tilll they get full accreditatation
but i think besides funding.. i have very lil major concern about their course..
i think UWS is buying it from Usyd or UNSW. Then derive there own version.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)