Protest the forbes Global Ceo Conference (3 Viewers)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Why are there no denouncements of the people whom are violent?
To guess (since we can't really know), whether they are violent or were in support of the violence we have to look at a few things.

- How many were capable of being violent.
- How many were violent.
- How many denounced those that were violent.

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
anti-mathmite said:
???
Nope i still dont understand..
lol sorry i'm a terrible typer at the best of times, and I was somewhat distracted last night.
What I meant was... we don't say stupid things very time we open our mouths, sometimes we have good points, rational ones that make sense even. It's only common sense to realise that just because you dissagree doesn't mean that the other person is automatically stupid.
or
"Nor do we say stupid things every time we open our mouths.. At least have the common sense to admit that sometimes we do in fact have rational, reasonable points...... . "

K

katie_tully

No thanks. Protesters have made a dick of themselves. It's an annoyance to others especially when you all decide to congregate inside banks like some protesters did...And as if by getting arrested and being a general nuisance to people is going to get you taken seriously. Har.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Though I think that a lot of protests really do not achieve anything in terms of policy change or practical results, I am reluctant to speak against protesting. It is an important political expression of dissatisfaction that, whether it changes anything or not, is valuable in the sense of citizens' opinions being voiced.

There is merit in marking out for the world and for history socially observable dissident views. It would not be in society’s interest for everyone to be perpetually docile and apathetic.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Surely their main aim is publicity - To at least have the issues discussed, as they're being done here. I think they've succeeded in that regard.

Comrade nathan

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
those protesters were just clowns that were running around smiling and having a ball annoying everyday people today. They pushed down the fence for confrontation with the cops not because they care about the issue but because they are not rational.
That is a completly lie. I know one of the protesters, and he is very educated in world politics.

Many of the radical protests were Anarchist, who 3 days before had a anarchsit conference, where they discussed various issues, and planned political and activist actions. So they were not just randomly protesting.

What more lies and sterotyping are you going to resort to? Its starting to get real pathetic the amount of lies, exagerting and petty bullshit people are spouting in here.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I don't care how educated they were.
To guess (since we can't really know), whether they are violent or were in support of the violence we have to look at a few things.

- How many were capable of being violent.
- How many were violent.
- How many denounced those that were violent.
What more lies and sterotyping are you going to resort to? Its starting to get real pathetic the amount of lies, exagerting and petty bullshit people are spouting in here.
See what you're asking here.. is for evidence I cannot give you. I have to stereotype and base my thoughts about the majority on what evidence I have.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Iron said:
Surely their main aim is publicity - To at least have the issues discussed, as they're being done here. I think they've succeeded in that regard.
I don't think they're being discussed. Did you see the spokesperson for the protestors on Sunrise the other morning? He was basically demonised for having a leftist opinion.

Cuntfaces. I hate Koche...he's so...pointy-faced.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
But couldn't have the spokesperson denounced the violence? Seriously if no fences were knocked down, if people weren't harassing people in the streets, or even if the organisers were denouncing those sorts of actions - I would have absolutely no problem with their protest.

I would praise it, it is democracy!

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
But couldn't have the spokesperson denounced the violence? Seriously if no fences were knocked down, if people weren't harassing people in the streets, or even if the organisers were denouncing those sorts of actions - I would have absolutely no problem with their protest.

I would praise it, it is democracy!
what is the violence you keep referring to?

i could give two fucks if they annoyed some bankers honestly. they aren't threatening people. just voicing their opinion with earnesty. some people are acting stupid - happens every day though.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
the guy that knocked down the fence (that was preventing violence between protestors/police) and the people that then booed the police for detaining him should be shunned.

Harassing bankers/traffic, you might not care but that doesn't make it right. It should be denounced. When you're making a protest the main objective should be getting your point (or in this case point(s) ) accross. The 80 or so people who were harassing traffic/going into banks/businesses were just breaking the law like your average person.

Where do you draw the line if you accept that sort of thing as "protest" ?

Last edited:

Comrade nathan

HSC
I dont think they were harrasing people at the bank. I only saw them outside the bank making some noise, it would be disturbing but nothing harmfull or violent.

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
the guy that knocked down the fence (that was preventing violence between protestors/police) and the people that then booed the police for detaining him should be shunned.

Harassing bankers/traffic, you might not care but that doesn't make it right. It should be denounced. When you're making a protest the main objective should be getting your point (or in this case point(s) ) accross. The 80 or so people who were harassing traffic/going into banks/businesses were just breaking the law like your average person.

Where do you draw the line if you accept that sort of thing as "protest" ?
well there has been no serious violence so far, right?
protests are always 'annoying' for someone.
and in a healthy democracy this should be allowed.

also as has been pointed out, i think the minor infringements were made to draw attention to their cause - but people would rather interpret them as a menace than consider the injustices of late capitalism

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I was thinking the same thing about the protests in Scotland (Glen eagles?) during the G-8 talks. They were pushing over the fences and being dragged away by police. Of course their objective wasn't to storm the castle and kill the leaders; it was a desporate bid to make the evening news.
What kind of story is it to say 'Protestors quietly proceeded down mainstreet on the left side of the footpath. After a while, they got cold and hungry, so they went home.'

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
also as has been pointed out, i think the minor infringements were made to draw attention to their cause - but people would rather interpret them as a menace than consider the injustices of late capitalism
But making 'minor infringements' for your cause shouldn't be on, we can't just have people running around performing 'minor infringements' if they have a political justification.

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
But making 'minor infringements' for your cause shouldn't be on, we can't just have people running around performing 'minor infringements' if they have a political justification.
some of the actions may have been illegal - much in the same way that jaywalking is illegal

does this seriously deserve this much attention? there is no lasting effect or damage from the protest. who gives a shit?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
does this seriously deserve this much attention? there is no lasting effect or damage from the protest. who gives a shit?
It shouldn't be on and the protest organisers should openly denounce it as being the wrong thing to do. Since they don't, I come to the conclusion that they probably think it's an ok thing to do, which is stupid.

We're not talking about 'jaywalking' were talking about the kind of juvenile bs crime that you used to do in supermarkets when you were in year 8. It's not that 'bad' but it should be denounced by a protest that really cares about their message.

chubbaraff

Proudly BOS Left
HSC
Do you now why everyones so agitated, its because of the ultrarights who are active in this forum who are being complete arseholes. I hereby condemn all "acts of violence." And I mean it protest is essentially supposed to be peaceful... but please "Not-that-bright" who are you gonna side with, the rational, or the people on the previous page who said I should die for believing in democratic dissent and whose best argument is that "Im a trot who should not be listened to." What crap... please take this opportunity to seperate yourself from the fascists operating in this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)