Protest (1 Viewer)

kokodamonkey

HSC
are there even mark requirements for international students? i thought it was just monetary.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Stazi said:
Yeah, it's not like governments haven't ever made stupid economic decisions, in order to propagate their ideology...
And it works the other way too! :D

Stazi said:
...so you suggest that we decrease the intake of international students and cut off the intake of students who achieve lower than the HECS cutoff.
I'm suggesting that since it's much harder to obtain the funds from international students from a HECS type loan, and that since we rely on their money, that perhaps it would be best at this time to allow international fee paying students to continue to attend our universities, but to ensure that they can't get in unless their marks are higher than domestic students. Even then, it's an iffy situation.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
And it works the other way too! :D

I'm suggesting that since it's much harder to obtain the funds from international students from a HECS type loan, and that since we rely on their money, that perhaps it would be best at this time to allow international fee paying students to continue to attend our universities, but to ensure that they can't get in unless their marks are higher than domestic students. Even then, it's an iffy situation.
do you think the best students come to Australia to study? no, they go to Oxford, Harvard, etc. The international students we get in Oz are generally of lower 'quality'. You are admitting that our universities are reliant on funding from full fee sources. Yet you are suggesting that we should cut off the majority of those sources.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
seriously that Nebuchanezzar is a disgrace to the left. he almost makes me want to join the young libs.
I have found that the majority of left-wing students are a disgrace. I have learned this from being at USYD for over three years. The arguments lack any logic, and their 'policy suggestions' are merely based on conformity to being part of the left.

Ah, the merits of being centred.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Stazi said:
do you think the best students come to Australia to study? no, they go to Oxford, Harvard, etc. The international students we get in Oz are generally of lower 'quality'. You are admitting that our universities are reliant on funding from full fee sources. Yet you are suggesting that we should cut off the majority of those sources.
The best go to Harvard. Do you seriously suggest that there won't be enough students left over from these elite universities to make up the places offered in Australian univerisites? That's asinine.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Yes. I do. There are many excellent non-elite universities overseas. It is also a common perception (particular in Asia) that people who go to uni in Australia from that region are those who aren't good enough to go the UK/US. There needs to be some sort of incentive for international students to attend school here. That incentive can come in the form of lower cutoffs

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Stazi said:
Yes. I do.
Then lol.

Look, I'm not saying that you're wrong or anything like that, but uh, I just want to see some proof before I commit myself to what you're saying.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Proof on what? There will never be proof, therefore we have to argue based on assumptions. This is the nature of politics, and almost everything in life. Hwwever, one argument can be more logical than another.

However, if you do want proof, a university that earns double the revenue of another will, in most cases, provide a better quality of education and infrastructure for its students.

Hebe Tian

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
Yes. I do. There are many excellent non-elite universities overseas. It is also a common perception (particular in Asia) that people who go to uni in Australia from that region are those who aren't good enough to go the UK/US. There needs to be some sort of incentive for international students to attend school here. That incentive can come in the form of lower cutoffs
lol it's even looked down on to go to uni in Australia rather than in some of their own countries

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Stazi said:
Proof on what? There will never be proof, therefore we have to argue based on assumptions. This is the nature of politics, and almost everything in life. Hwwever, one argument can be more logical than another.
Indeed, and the notion that there aren't enough international students who acheive above the required UAI's for every course is not a logical argument.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
the notion that there are enough international students who achieve above the required UAI, who have the money to come to Australia and afford the much higher fees than in their home country, and with the determination to come to Australia compared to US/UK universities where a lot of their friends go,seems to be quite logical

edit: would you go to UWS if you had the marks and money to go to USYD?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
actually, no there aren't. many courses have vacancies, even after the final round. also, the courses have much lower cut-offs than the top Aussie universities, so as to attract students.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Lets FOcus Less on This, and More On The Learnding and Edufikation of CooL StuDeNTs So ThEy CaN BuiLD Mad Future Robots WiD TimE-Indepedent ElEktronz

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
^True dat.

Stazi said:
actually, no there aren't. many courses have vacancies, even after the final round. also, the courses have much lower cut-offs than the top Aussie universities, so as to attract students.
Even so, are they starved of funds like they would be in your magical analogy? :p

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Yes, UWS is starved of funds: the facilities, IT stuff, etc., are worse than those of top-tier universities. I assume a lot of the 'good stuff' they have is due to the government helping fund the uni's establishment. UWS will get continuously worse, since it'll always struggle to attract full fee & international students.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
and the ALP has said that it will replace the DFEE places with HECS places so that they won't suffer!

:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)