Public V Private .. in marking?? (1 Viewer)

yeah_boy

HSC
Okay so I go to a public school and I am in year 11... wasn't sure where to put this so I decided to throw it in here...

Anyway, I often do well in exams and assignments, I achieved to get over 85% in my half earlies in all my subjects, which is good for.. me.. lol. So I was wondering, maybe my public school marks really easily? Do private schools sorta, mark harder? I'm concerned that in year 12 I'll do half yearlies and trials and I'll get good marks because of my public school markers, and then in the actual HSC, I'll be marked heaps hard and instead of getting 85%+ I will really get say, 50% lol, because really, my answers aren't that great... pretty shit..

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Just continue to do as well as posisble at school.

You can get a measure of how you're really going by doing past papers and seeing what marks you are getting :)

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
i've been to both, and public schools mark a lot easier. [however, my school is a selective so it can't really compare cause they're about the same. however i have examples of other things]

i once read a friend's essay, in about year nine, and it was really really bad and wouldn't have gone near ten out of twenty at my school [private] and she got an eighteen out of twenty. and the question was dead easy aswell, basically 'tell me about the novel' where we were doing questions that involved analytical thinking. that was in year nine though, and it does depend on the standard of the school. maybe they get better as you get into the senior years.

yeah_boy

HSC
i've been to both, and public schools mark a lot easier. [however, my school is a selective so it can't really compare cause they're about the same. however i have examples of other things]

i once read a friend's essay, in about year nine, and it was really really bad and wouldn't have gone near ten out of twenty at my school [private] and she got an eighteen out of twenty. and the question was dead easy aswell, basically 'tell me about the novel' where we were doing questions that involved analytical thinking. that was in year nine though, and it does depend on the standard of the school. maybe they get better as you get into the senior years.
Wow. I'm screwed.

BTW, how are you only doing 4 subjects for your HSC? Thought you needed 12 units?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
er... i doubt this would have anything to do with the type of school you went to, teachers mark differently no matter where you go, some are hard asses and others just throw you the marks. Different teachers interpret marking guidelines differently, i really don't think school comes into it.

yeah_boy

HSC
er... i doubt this would have anything to do with the type of school you went to, teachers mark differently no matter where you go, some are hard asses and others just throw you the marks. Different teachers interpret marking guidelines differently, i really don't think school comes into it.
Oh ok. Well I just assumed that the standard of kids in public schools are lower so the teachers have adapted to it etc.

pillar

HSC
somewhat true, but remember this isn't just one subject he feels like he got off easy in. OP said he got over 85% in ALL his subjects (more than one teacher obviously), so it's easy to understand why he may think that public school marking in general is easy.

And yeah I'm kinda in a similar situation, I smashed my half-yearlies with absolutely shit all study, but I looked around for some other papers from different schools and didn't do nearly as well.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Just continue to do as well as posisble at school.

You can get a measure of how you're really going by doing past papers and seeing what marks you are getting :)
going off topic here... spelling errors ftw! (also my bad use of capitalization...)

yeah_boy

HSC
going off topic here... spelling errors ftw! (also my bad use of capitalization...)
Wow that is really nit picking there..Obviously the poster just made a simple typo.. ahah.. I doubt they geniunely attempted to spell "possible" and failed lol.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
somewhat true, but remember this isn't just one subject he feels like he got off easy in. OP said he got over 85% in ALL his subjects (more than one teacher obviously), so it's easy to understand why he may think that public school marking in general is easy.
So one instance in one school means its true for all public schools in NSW? Gimme a break. Isn't it far more likely that the OP was actually doing well for a change? or that her particular combination of teachers mark easy? Or a combination of both?

Last edited:

pillar

HSC
So one instance in one school means its true for all public schools in NSW? Gimme a break. Isn't it far more likely that the OP was actually doing well for a change? or that her particular combination of teachers mark easy? Or a combination of both?
Not what I said. I agree that it's more likely that the OP got subjects they like and is doing well.

It's just that in your original post you said it's more the teachers, and school doesn't really come into it, however if you aced ALL your subjects without doing any/much serious work, I can certainly see how you'd think school would come into it.

anyscope

HSC
I think some private schools would mark heaps harder than most public schools. But I agree with the first poster... just keep trying your hardest. I mean, the markers in public schools (excuse my generalising) are far from 'easy', and will definitely prepare you for what's to come in the HSC.

But if you're so obsessed with doing as well as those silly private school folk, I mean... just mark yourself. Honestly review your work and ask if you could've done it better. We're all our worst critics, right?

Uncle

Banned
HSC
I think some private schools would mark heaps harder than most public schools. But I agree with the first poster... just keep trying your hardest. I mean, the markers in public schools (excuse my generalising) are far from 'easy', and will definitely prepare you for what's to come in the HSC.

But if you're so obsessed with doing as well as those silly private school folk, I mean... just mark yourself. Honestly review your work and ask if you could've done it better. We're all our worst critics, right?
Go to a public school.
Problem solved.

idge

HSC
I think that private schools seem to scale better in the hsc compared to public schools, but that is a huge generalisation. Scaling is really complicated but if your year goes better at your school, you will get scaled up, and private school kids GENERALLY do better.

K

khorne

That's stupid.

What the hell is up with people and "this subject scales well" or "this school scales well".

GEEZ It's NOT the school or the subject which scales...it's the MARK. If you work hard, then it doesn't matter which subjects or school you go to.

HSC

wow, talk about generalizations, how can you say public schools mark a lot easier when you've only been to one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)