Pymble tops Italian most years (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyetalian

HSC
N/A
Re: Pymble - Cheats

Hey

Thanks for everyones opinion. First of all I did say it was just a rumour, and I was asking if anyone knew the truth about it.

Second of all, I did two languages last year for my HSC and am not complaining about my marks at all, and I would like to say to bassistx - thank you for actually reading all my posts and understanding my complaint. I do understand that no one cares - HEY - when i first found out I was like -theyre a private school - prob a good teacher thats why. But after doing French Beginners I know that if I had an extra year - my state ranking would improve.

So honest to god thank you bassistx

and yes you do sign a form before the course to say that you cant speak the language. that is true.

Third of all - it is not a worrying issue because they arent cheats as I siad they just exploit the loophole, all schools technically can do this.
But obviously some prefer to do it while others dont.

Im just glad people some people actually wanted to hear what I had to say, just wanted to see if anyone else actually cared.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Undermyskin said:
Pymble's Ladies ROCK!

Last year they got 2 100 UAI and 2 99.95 UAI! What's wrong with that? Being jealous? They are simply awesome! This sort of question is just like: Can anyone explain why James Ruse has topped the state since 2004? They are simply damn good.
Government is doing a good job when it comes to education. Due to its dedicated support, Selective High Schools tend to top the state whereas majority of public schools settle at the bottom of the state. That is why people are increasingly attending Private High Schools where education prospect is brighter.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

eyetalian said:
Third of all - it is not a worrying issue because they arent cheats as I siad they just exploit the loophole, all schools technically can do this.
But obviously some prefer to do it while others dont.

Im just glad people some people actually wanted to hear what I had to say, just wanted to see if anyone else actually cared.
I personally think it is NOT SCHOOL that is cheating. It is probably teachers-based. Do you know what I mean?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

I dunno - but I've never felt that teaching accelerated courses could be classified as 'cheating'. Schools, teachers and parents (even students) can judge were students' skills are at; and based on that, they can accelerate, if they feel they can cope with it. There's no point moving onto Year 11 Maths, if you can't understand Year 10 Maths. On the other hand, if all the Year 10s understand Year 10 Maths, I don't see a reason why they can't move on.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

lyounamu said:
Government is doing a good job when it comes to education. Due to its dedicated support, Selective High Schools tend to top the state whereas majority of public schools settle at the bottom of the state. That is why people are increasingly attending Private High Schools where education prospect is brighter.
Ahhh wouldn't be too sure about this.

I know alot of private schools that have a handful of dumbasses.

But then again, a persons intelligence shouldn't be solely based on their academic achievements.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

tommykins said:
Ahhh wouldn't be too sure about this.

I know alot of private schools that have a handful of dumbasses.

But then again, a persons intelligence shouldn't be solely based on their academic achievements.
I was saying that government needs to work on the public education system. It is true that privates schools have a load of dumbasses but they truly have better education system than many public high schools.

I absolutely agree that peron's intelligence should not be solely based on their academic ahievements. However, it seems that academic achievement tells a lot more than it should.

bassistx

HSC

lyounamu said:
I personally think it is NOT SCHOOL that is cheating. It is probably teachers-based. Do you know what I mean?
It's not like the students are saying "No, we won't do it. It's cheating!" If anything, the students want to go ahead.

Without Wings said:
As long as a student satisfies bos criteria it is fine.

Source: Board of Studies

Any school and/or student can do up to 100 hours study of Italian in yr 7-10, and a lot do, whether it is in yr 7, 8, 9 or 10. Either way there is nothing wrong with what schools do (i.e it isn't unfair) as long as they follow the syllabus and entry requirements for the subject.
100 hours over 40 weeks (1 school year) is 2.5 hours per week. They are obviously doing more hours so they are cheating.
And yes, you have to sign to say that you haven't done more than 100 hours or been on an exchange program in a country which speaks that language.

This doesn't affect me because I'm not taking the Italian Beginners course, so jealously isn't the right word. It's more like rage because an injustice exists.

It takes about 1000 hours to learn a language. Over 2 years, every single day, that's up to 1.5 hours of study.
If they did it over 3 years, then they obviously don't qualify for the Beginners level courses.

eyetalian

HSC
N/A
I completely AGAIN agree with Bassistx - it's not jealousy but more an injustice and while many people don't agree but this notion of yeah selective highs like ruse teach their students maths - its completely different becasue they have to smart to do it and handle it. While with italian its beginners because for that reason you are a beginner and giving them that extra year defies the purpose of the course.

Grazie

bassistx

HSC
eyetalian said:
I completely AGAIN agree with Bassistx - it's not jealousy but more an injustice and while many people don't agree but this notion of yeah selective highs like ruse teach their students maths - its completely different becasue they have to smart to do it and handle it. While with italian its beginners because for that reason you are a beginner and giving them that extra year defies the purpose of the course.

Grazie
Being a selective or private school (or both) doesn't justify cheating as excellence.

Prego :)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
PLC does not teach Italian in years 7-10. It is only offered as the HSC Beginners course in years 11-12.

law

HSC
N/A
Look, at Pymble everything is rote learnt extremely well. That's why they get great results.

eyetalian

HSC
N/A
While I'm definitely not saying that Pymble dont do italian in years 7 - 10 - i think itd be a bit weird to just offer it in year 11 and 12 like that especially also as they teach Italian to their girls pre year 7 - at a primary school level.

bassistx

HSC
It doesn't matter in which year they teach it. If they have more than 100 hours knowledge, even if it's just fucking ABCs, they are not eligible for the beginners course.

eyetalian

HSC
N/A
Yeah I do agree bassistx but you do understand what Im saying that if they did do it in year 10 - theyd have that string of three years to do the beginners course.

bassistx

HSC
Yeah, I know.
But if they don't do it in year 10 but they take it in primary school, it hardly changes the outcome: they're still cheating.

You now have cento posts :D

eyetalian

HSC
N/A
LOL !!! I just realised about my posts. hahaha. But yeah, I do journalism at university, maybe I should write an article about or phone Pymble up to see what they say.

and just HYPOTHETICALLY speaking they dont do italian etc and just do it in year 11 and 12, id love to know how theyve managed to top the state in 01, 03, 04, 05 and 07. Surely they do something right. and the years they do and dont top it they always get second or third.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Look, the system might've changed with the new principal and all, but I am an ex-Pymble girl so I know what I'm on about--THERE IS NO ITALIAN BEFORE YEAR 11! (at least not between Years 8-11 when I was at the school, and I think Year 7 was dedicated to the study of French)

Mrs Cepagra (the Italian teacher) really simply is that good. And most girls who top Italian did Italian in the first place because they were topping French and Italian is an easy way to get great marks.

bassistx

HSC
eyetalian said:
LOL !!! I just realised about my posts. hahaha. But yeah, I do journalism at university, maybe I should write an article about or phone Pymble up to see what they say.

and just HYPOTHETICALLY speaking they dont do italian etc and just do it in year 11 and 12, id love to know how theyve managed to top the state in 01, 03, 04, 05 and 07. Surely they do something right. and the years they do and dont top it they always get second or third.
Lol I'd like to know as well. Ringing them up mightn't do much, though. I doubt they'd fess up. Unless you sounded like the Board of Studies or something lol. But hey - just ask someone who goes there, I'm sure they'll tell you if it's true or not. I don't know anyone from there but a fantastic (best I've ever seen) English teacher.

My Italian teacher came 2nd in the state back in his days haha. But he's Italian, so... Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)