Qantas moving jobs to Brisbane (1 Viewer)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mo...as-cuts-500-jobs/story-fn7x8me2-1226361597334

MORE than 500 jobs will be lost as Qantas today confirmed it will end its heavy-engineering operations at its Tullamarine base and phase out engineering jobs at its other Victorian operation at Avalon.

Qantas hopes to save between $70 million and $100 million annually from the changes, which will cost $50 million to implement.

Unions slammed the Qantas plan, saying it would decimate Australia's ability to maintain aircraft.

Unions are urging the government to intervene to safeguard Australia's capacity to maintain aircraft.

"Our concern is that this decision is the thin edge of wedge as fleets start to be retired," Australian Workers Union Victorian branch secretary Cesar Melham said.

"We are calling on government to immediately intervene and call an urgent aviation industry round table before any jobs and critical skills are lost."

Today's announcement follows the reduction in about 150 office engineering jobs from Tullamarine earlier this year with the total transformation costs across Qantas facilities this year of $250 to $260 million.

Opposition Leader Daniel Andrews criticised the government for failing to invest in new hangar facilities in Melbourne.

Aviation Minister Gordon Rich-Phillips said a financial offer had been made and discussions were continuing, but would provide no further details.
"We did put a proposal to Qantas,” Mr Rich-Phillips said.
Another Alan Joyce disgrace.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Re: Qantas moving jobs offshore... again

Sounds like an astute financial move

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A

I bet when their fleet starts falling apart they'll ask for a handout, lol

planino

HSC

This is kinda misleading. Yes Qantas has sent jobs offshore, but it isn't with this case. What's really happening is that the Melbourne-Tullamarine facilities are being closed down and are being transferred to Brisbane airport. They're also retaining the Avalon facilities as well

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/media-releases/may-2012/5398/global/en

Last edited:

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

moving jobs from melbourne to brisbane was considered outsourcing 100 years ago

planino

HSC

yeah but as you said, that was 100 years ago. Today, it can be said that they're still keeping jobs in Australia (in this case). Although there is a net loss of jobs with this move, none of these jobs (as of now) are going overseas

As much as I love Australia, the media here is seriously screwed up sometimes, especially when it comes to Qantas. Few know that Virgin Australia actually carry out most, if not all of their heavy maintenance in New Zealand and Malaysia. With Qantas however, AFAIK, only their A380's have their heavy maintenance largely carried out overseas, in Frankfurt and Singapore. The rest of the heavy maintenance is carried out here. Yet the media makes a big issue of everything they do.

During the volcanic ash episode last year, Qantas stopped all flights that were in its path. Virgin Australia however carried on flying for a longer period before they stopped, and Air New Zealand for even longer (flights that were still operating were I think, recommended a low cruising altitude in order to avoid the ash. Air New Zealand flew at least one of their flights within the standard cruising altitude range which is unsafe during a volcanic ash episode.)

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

The title of this thread is misleading.

HSC

Didn't they just announce they are dividing the international and domestic parts.

planino

HSC

ah whoops, the above post was meant for Rafy

Yeah they did. Essentially they're splitting up the management or something like that so they can focus on profitability better or something like that. IMHO, I think it's a waste of time as it'll just create more headaches and useless duplication.

HSC

THe Australian media is so fucked and conservative. Almost every business uses foreign maintainence.

planino

HSC

THe Australian media is so fucked and conservative. Almost every business uses foreign maintainence.
True. Plus Australians are usually used to cheaper airfares right now. Qantas has an extremely high cost base and needs to reduce costs, which includes some outsourcing (sending some jobs overseas, not transferring them from MEL to BNE) in order to remain competitive with the profitable and lower cost base Asian and Middle-Eastern airlines, otherwise they'll not survive.

The media will do anything to tell a good story and to get people talking, whether their stories be true or misleading (or even false).

HSC

What's worse is that when these stories air it influences Australia's uneducated audience so much. Annoys me about the uneducated part of society. I mean everyone is entitled to their own views but to be influenced so easily.

lpower3

HSC

What's worse is that when these stories air it influences Australia's uneducated audience so much. Annoys me about the uneducated part of society. I mean everyone is entitled to their own views but to be influenced so easily.
Politics101 really. A shame really but its what you get when western media is so fucked.

billy chan

HSC

whinge when qantas shifts jobs offshore

flies virgin

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Good to see Qantas lost 244 million for the year it was announced today. The industrial action they took against their own business cost them 194 million alone. They (Qantas) are an embarrassment to Australia.

Dash8

HSC
Good to see Qantas lost 244 million for the year it was announced today. The industrial action they took against their own business cost them 194 million alone. They (Qantas) are an embarrassment to Australia.
They aren't that bad...Every time i've flown with them they've been great. Best service compared to Virgin or Jetstar and they have an awesome Frequent Flyer program :) Bit harsh to say that its good that they lost 244 million....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)