Quantitative Risk(UNSW) vs Financial Maths + Stats(USyd) (1 Viewer)

muzeikchun852

HSC
It's essentially a maths/finance degree but with an honours year attached to the end. You don't really learn anything special and certain subjects in the program (SCIF and MATH2881) aren't great. You have greater flexibility in a maths/finance degree while doing similar courses. The name is just a marketing tool employed by the school of maths.
but you can only do quantitative risk via advanced maths, isn't it? so maybe it isn't all a gimmick.

deterministic

HSC
but you can only do quantitative risk via advanced maths, isn't it? so maybe it isn't all a gimmick.
The only course that is somewhat exclusive to the quant risk program (though I'm sure the school of maths will let anyone do it if they ask) is MATH2881 and from what I have heard, you don't learn much in it. Otherwise, they do the same subjects as those doing maths and finance.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Wtf why is there a ridiculous number of required courses you have to complete to get a major in quantitative risk....there's like no room to squeeze many electives or an additional major.

To get financial maths and stats major at usyd all you need is just 12 credit points 1st year maths, 18 credit points 2nd year (1 x financial maths + 2 x stats) and 24 credit points in 3rd year (2 x 'core' stats + 1 x financial maths + 1 x elective from list), which leaves plenty of room to squeeze in another major

jaychouf4n

HSC
Half the world does QR, it's not really a prestigious or difficult to enter course.

It's the course that people who couldn't get into Commerce/Law go into.

If you were serious about mathematics, you would do a regular science degree majoring in pure mathematics. It gives you more flexibility and doesn't fill your science degree with useless finance courses.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Half the world does QR? wat.

Uhh, QR is by invitation only at UNSW. How can you say 'half the world' does it?

jaychouf4n

HSC
95+ for both 3u/4u is not really a high entry bar for a course that is "invitation only".

In any case, if you actually look at the plan it's a fancily named finance/math degree with an honours year shoved on at the end. The only course that QR uniquely offers is MATH2881 which, from what I've heard sucks. Not only that, but it's available generally, so anyone can actually do MATH2881. So the only advantage that QR might offer is not even restricted.

It's just marketing from the math department, trying to get students of 98-99+ caliber into the math faculty with a fancily named degree.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
AWWW SNAAAAaaAAAP

But yes QR is overrated. Most people only do it because it sounds awesome and it looks like it'll get you a good paying job. 90% of the kids who chose QR as a major most likely don't know what's involved.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Real men major in Pure maths. Unfortunately I'm not a real man so I'm doing Applied.

jaychouf4n

HSC
I didn't see you doing QR, jaychouf4n, after you failed to get into Comm/Law outright.
I was very close to transferring into QR last year. I did MATH1081, MATH1251 AND ACTL1001 at the same time, realised that if I ever did that much math again I'd probably kill myself.

Then I actually looked at the plan and realised it wasn't anything special in any case so I chose to transfer into law. (Still majoring in Actuarial, because I still wanted some quasi math in my degree)

In any case, I was unlucky not to get into Comm/Law that year any way. I was 0.05 off the cutoff (99.55) and didn't realise earlier on in the year that half the people in UNSW Law used bonus points to reach the ATAR/UAI required. [Note it was also the year that U Melb discontinued it's undergraduate law program, you had more Melbournians competing for the spots)

Aerath, I'm surprised you remember that I didn't get in outright. I remember making a whole bunch of posts whinging about it 2 years ago.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Real men major in Pure maths. Unfortunately I'm not a real man so I'm doing Applied.
But... but... I'm majoring in pure.

95+ for both 3u/4u is not really a high entry bar for a course that is "invitation only".

In any case, if you actually look at the plan it's a fancily named finance/math degree with an honours year shoved on at the end. The only course that QR uniquely offers is MATH2881 which, from what I've heard sucks. Not only that, but it's available generally, so anyone can actually do MATH2881. So the only advantage that QR might offer is not even restricted.

It's just marketing from the math department, trying to get students of 98-99+ caliber into the math faculty with a fancily named degree.
I'm sure most people do research on what QR actually is before they jump in the pool though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)