Question about CSSA Modern History... (1 Viewer)

HKK

HSC
Soz, dunno where to post this...
In relation to the personality question in Secition III, will there always be two separate questions, or can they chuck out just one, 25 marker?

thaaaaaaanks.

enoilgam

HSC
Its always divided into too parts, a 10 marker and 15 marker.

HKK

HSC
Alright thank you. Is it always based on a description of a person's life, and their rise to prominence, or any out of the four syllabus dotpoints...?

enoilgam

HSC
It can be any part of the syllabus. Usually part 1 asks you to describe something about their life/contribution to society. Part 2 always asks you to assess their personality and historical significance.

HKK

HSC
It can be any part of the syllabus. Usually part 1 asks you to describe something about their life/contribution to society. Part 2 always asks you to assess their personality and historical significance.
Isn't that kind of the same thing? Contribution to society/historical significance? Sorry, I'm tired

enoilgam

HSC
In part one its a description, which means you just state what contribution they made, whereas in part 2, you will have to analyse that contribution - if that makes sense.

HKK

HSC
In part one its a description, which means you just state what contribution they made, whereas in part 2, you will have to analyse that contribution - if that makes sense.
so, in part one it's usually just describing the key events, and in part two you use those events, and analyse it's significance + expand on it more?

enoilgam

HSC
Yes, pretty much. Just remember for part 2, they usually give you a quote and ask you to assess its accuracy in relation to the personality.

HKK

HSC
yeah, good advice. I just pre-prepared an essay because I basically know the question for part two. Just forgot there were two sections lol

HKK

HSC
Would you write part one in essay format, or just part two?

enoilgam

HSC
Part one I wouldnt write in essay format because you only need to write 200-400 words on it. Part 2 I would definitely write in essay format.

HKK

HSC
I have about 1000 words planned for part two... too much??

enoilgam

HSC
Depends on how fast you write, but if you can write 1000 words worth of quality work, then go for it. The recommendation for the whole of section III is 1000 words (part A+part B). I personally dont think that is enough, I reakon you need around 400 words for part A and 800 for part B.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Be very careful with preparing an answer for Part B. As someone who has marked the HSC for this question for many years I can assure you that if you don't address the given quote and the actual question your prepared answer will see you fall flat on your face. And addressing the quote and question isn't just at the beginning and at the end of the response but consistently throughout.

Part a needs to have some structure - chronological is usually all that is needed and watch the terms used e.g. if the question asks for 'rise to prominence' then know the dot points under that heading from the syllabus and don't go beyond that as you are really wasting time. If no parameters are set go a bit longer. There is no need for historiography in Part a as it is a simple describe but part b should have some historiography and also structure and thought should go into this section. Plan your response.

HKK

HSC
Be very careful with preparing an answer for Part B. As someone who has marked the HSC for this question for many years I can assure you that if you don't address the given quote and the actual question your prepared answer will see you fall flat on your face. And addressing the quote and question isn't just at the beginning and at the end of the response but consistently throughout.

Part a needs to have some structure - chronological is usually all that is needed and watch the terms used e.g. if the question asks for 'rise to prominence' then know the dot points under that heading from the syllabus and don't go beyond that as you are really wasting time. If no parameters are set go a bit longer. There is no need for historiography in Part a as it is a simple describe but part b should have some historiography and also structure and thought should go into this section. Plan your response.
So, if I use a topic sentence in each paragraph referencing the statement and thats it, but then explain that with events related to my personality, I'm good?

Advanced english and I suck at integrating the actual questions. fk

enoilgam

HSC

Agreed, preparing essays for modern isnt a very good idea.

Skyzor

HSC
As others have said, theres two sections.

The first 10 marker will nearly always be about describing the background of your personality.

HKK

HSC
just because I'm confusing myself, please clarify.. ARE THE TWO QUESTIONS ALWAYS BASED ON TWO SEPARATE SYLLABUS POINTS,

or is it possible the second one could just ask to expand on the first with reference to a quote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)