• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Question about driving a manual car (2 Viewers)

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
I'm a relatively new manual driver, and I tend to 'ride the clutch' sometimes which results in this certain smell coming from the car. If u know what I'm talking about, how bad is riding the clutch for the car? Is it going to damage the gearbox or anything?

Ziff

HSC
N/A
VERY

You will destroy the clutch plate and have to get it replaced which costs $$$

If anything just take the clutch off, even if it's too fast all that will happen is you'll do a wheelspin... it's less detrimental to the car.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Yeah but I'm worried about stalling if i take it out too fast and the revs are too low...I find it very hard to take the clutch out without revving til its fully out and not stalling :S

Ziff

HSC
N/A
If the revs are too low then press more on the acclerator :p

You'll get used to it soon anyway!

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Lol i knowwww but...does the clutch have to be completely out before you're sposed to rev it more? Or can your foot be pressing it in a bit? Sorry I'm just totally new to manuals, I prefer autos anyway

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
clutch in, rev, clutch out, accelerate and off you go

you don't actually need to rev it to accelerate. get used to the friction point on the clutch - this is where it actually grips. practise on a quiet street

and don't ride the clutch, just dump it and do a fancy burnout - people will think you know what you're doing :D

Malazn Pleasure

External Auditor
HSC
Originally posted by yenta
I'm a relatively new manual driver, and I tend to 'ride the clutch' sometimes which results in this certain smell coming from the car.
when was the last time u had a shower?

HSC
Originally posted by RCMasterAA
Well eh, I'm on auto and have no intention of ever trying manual so the feeling's mutual :)
boooooooooorrrrr-innnggg
i drive an auto coz i don't have a manual, but as soon as this HSC shit is all over, i'm all up for manual! :D

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i know its bad, not sure how bad
however, a friends mechanic threatened to kill her if she kept riding the clutch ;) so im guessing pretty bad.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Originally posted by anti
clutch in, rev, clutch out, accelerate and off you go

you don't actually need to rev it to accelerate. get used to the friction point on the clutch - this is where it actually grips. practise on a quiet street

and don't ride the clutch, just dump it and do a fancy burnout - people will think you know what you're doing :D
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the friction point of the clutch?

Lol I'm not one for doing burnouts...I'm quite the conservative driver (well not that conservative but I'm not a revhead so I prefer not to do all that burnout type stuff).

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
dont worry, it just takes practise and you will soon be fine at driving, and you will wonder how you ever drove like that, just be patient and keep practising.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Originally posted by yenta
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the friction point of the clutch?

Lol I'm not one for doing burnouts...I'm quite the conservative driver (well not that conservative but I'm not a revhead so I prefer not to do all that burnout type stuff).

friction point is the point where the clutch actually grips the next gear (i believe). you won't actually go anywhere if you accelerate before the friction point.....

just get used to it by driving along a quiet street. start the car, first gear, clutch in, lift off the brake, and lift off the clutch until you feel it grip.. the car will start to roll because it's in gear. then brake, rinse, repeat until you KNOW exactly WHEN your car is going to start moving.

you can use the accelerator once you feel that you're in gear.

and btw - a burnout is just when your cars tires are moving but your car isn't going anywhere, ie you're not in gear (or your foot is on the brake) and you're trying to make the tires spin. hoons do it because it looks good, learner drivers do it because they've forgotten to take the clutch out or the handbrake off and their right foot is planted :)

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Originally posted by anti
friction point is the point where the clutch actually grips the next gear (i believe). you won't actually go anywhere if you accelerate before the friction point.....

just get used to it by driving along a quiet street. start the car, first gear, clutch in, lift off the brake, and lift off the clutch until you feel it grip.. the car will start to roll because it's in gear. then brake, rinse, repeat until you KNOW exactly WHEN your car is going to start moving.

you can use the accelerator once you feel that you're in gear.

and btw - a burnout is just when your cars tires are moving but your car isn't going anywhere, ie you're not in gear (or your foot is on the brake) and you're trying to make the tires spin. hoons do it because it looks good, learner drivers do it because they've forgotten to take the clutch out or the handbrake off and their right foot is planted :)
Ok I tried doing what you said...waiting til the clutch grips and car starts rolling...Am I right in saying that once the car is "in gear" and car starts rolling, you can start revving/accelerating?

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Originally posted by Malazn Pleasure
just learn auto

so much easier
Yeah I learnt how to drive on an auto...and my first car is a manual so I had to learn it...but now I'm gonna go back to auto and stay there!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)