• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Question about driving a manual car (1 Viewer)

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Lol like what? Most of the time when I drive I'm lazy and just want to drive auto because it's less effort. I do enjoy manual sometimes though

HSC
Originally posted by yenta
Lol like what?
- better control of the car
- more fuel efficient
- increased knowledge of your car (ability to distinguish when gears change, therefore, maximum power can be used)
- less use of the brakes (instead of braking, you 'downshift'), meaning brakes last longer saving you $$$
- you'll have more fun while driving instead of the same routine of 'gas, steer, brake...gas, steer, brake'.. therefore less boredom
- cheaper the buy than autos
..and many others :p

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
Originally posted by ToO LaZy ^*
- you'll have more fun while driving instead of the same routine of 'gas, steer, brake...gas, steer, brake'.. therefore less boredom
You know there are lazy people out there (me included) ;)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by ToO LaZy ^*
- better control of the car
- more fuel efficient
- increased knowledge of your car (ability to distinguish when gears change, therefore, maximum power can be used)
- less use of the brakes (instead of braking, you 'downshift'), meaning brakes last longer saving you $$$
- cheaper the buy than autos
..and many others :p

I drive manual but I wouldn't agree with

- more fuel efficient

autos are turned to be very fuel efficient

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
- more fuel efficient
maybe in really old crap auto boxes, but newer cars these days with autoboxes are better than manual, computers learns and adjusts to conditions

well anyone can do this, just read and look at the specs in the owners manual

new auto boxes will downshift for you without putting too much pressure on the gearbox or too high compression on the engine
i know for sure as my suburu does this

true but gets annoying driving in the city, stop start traffic

btw i love manual
but just don't have anything against auto either

HSC
Originally posted by redslert
well anyone can do this, just read and look at the specs in the owners manual
:confused: :confused:..eh?..but how?

Originally posted by redslert

new auto boxes will downshift for you without putting too much pressure on the gearbox or too high compression on the engine
i know for sure as my suburu does this
but you won't get that same inertia feeling and that high revving sound when downshift :D

EDIT: i drive an auto...nothing against them, but i just have more fun when driving manual, i guess it depends if you're a car type person or not

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Downshift from 80km/h @ 5th gear to 2nd gear. Feel the breaking power!

cyrax83

discrete is killing me :(
HSC
i dont get what u guys mean by riding the clutch ?

i can drive manual, but dont you just chuck it into neutral to cruise then chuck it back in a gear when u need to ?

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Are you talking about knocking a car out of gear while going down a hill, and then putting it back in gear to be able to get it to go. Some people do that to save fuel, if they're very poor, or nearly out of fuel.
Or do you mean that when you';re changing the gear you put it in neutral, then the gear you want, so it takes to movements?

Btw, manuals are better to learn in so then you can drive any car if the situation arises. And if you're into 4WDs then definetly get a manual.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I agree with ALL of Too Lazy's points. Especially in a small car. If you have a small auto, all of the power is not at your disposal- a lot of the power is being used to drive the auto gearbox.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Double Shuffle Rules. Thankyou.

As for going from 5th of 2nd in an 80k zone.... when i was first learning to drive I did that by accident up Mt Ousley. oops.

HSC
Originally posted by Enlightened_One
And if you're into 4WDs then definetly get a manual.
why should u get a manual in a 4wd?..i drive a 4wd and it has more than enough power..unless you're actually going 4x4ing, but i still don't see why you DEFINITELY need a manual coz it already has the low gears..ie

Park
Neutral
Reverse
drive

then there's the actually manual 4x4 gear stick

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Originally posted by cyrax83
i dont get what u guys mean by riding the clutch ?

i can drive manual, but dont you just chuck it into neutral to cruise then chuck it back in a gear when u need to ?
I never do that, I can't really be bothered..plus most of the time when i'm driving I don't get to 'cruise' much because its either heavy/medium traffic or there are a lot of traffic lights.

Anyway by riding the clutch I mean when I'm moving off from a standstill (e.g. at traffic lights) in first gear, I accelerate before the clutch is out, it's only then when i do it not when changing up to any other gears. But now I'm practicing how to do it properly, I didn't even know how bad it was for the car until recently... I'm getting rid of it soon anyway so I can buy an auto (because I'm lazy :))

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Just something average, like an early 90s model corolla? I want to sell mine and get something cheaper so I can have a bit of spare cash. And my current car is too slow dammit! (its a civic)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
The 89/90 model Corolla or Camry is a good option. From what I have read from the SMH's Drive section, these cars are generally very reliable, reasonably well maintained and not thrashed around like Skylines, Lasers etc of the same era. They cost anywhere from $3,000 to $5,000 and don't need too much mainenance.

Two mates from school bought $3,000 Camry stationwagons over 6mths ago and they're pretty happy with their purchases.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Cool, yeah unless it's a done up manual owned by a young guy then it prob hasn't been thrashed, I quite like the look of the corolla as well, compared to its alternatives. Camrys are a little big I only need a little car. Do you know how good they are on fuel efficiency?

Ziff

HSC
N/A
1989 Toyota Camry Manual:
Sedan: 9L/100km City, 7L/100km Highway
Wagon: 10L/100km City, 7.6L/100km Highway

1989 Toyota Corolla Manual:
Sedan: 8L/100km City, 6.4L/100km Highway
Wagon: 8.5L/100km City, 6.4L/100km Highway
Hatchback: 8L/100km City, 6.4L/100km Highway
4wd: 10L/100km City, 7L/100km Highway

Taken from http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/fuelguide/index.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)