question concerning SMALL classes (1 Viewer)

Pace_T

HSC
hey all..
ive done my half yearly for 3 unit today. It was 1.5 hrs. but it had 7 q's about 12 marks each. it looked as long as the HSC papers. so i knew i had to rush. anyway, i missed 3 sub q's (about 6-8 marks total, out of 70), but im pretty sure i lost alot more marks along the way by rushing..
anyway i am in a class of 3 ppl. i came first in the first 2 assessments (90%, 91%) beating the person always coming 2nd (high 70 results).. Now this person has most likely beaten me in this half yearly, but not by much..
is my rank going to be affected much? Does that really affect my uai if 2nd person didn't get a huge gap in the scores?
say the test was total shit house and all 3 of us get low.. I heard that it won't affect us much because we all got low (3 of us lol), and as long as i maintain my rank, and come first in the class for HSC exam its all good? but if this is the case then won't my total class score be capped? because say i got 70% in a 20% weighting test, don't i lose 3 * 2 marks out of 100?, so im capped at 94? (assuming i get 100 in every other test, lol)

umm as for just waiting for my mark, i know i got low, iw as just wondering if there is any specific differences if its a small class

thank you very much!

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
rank doesn't matter in a class so small, statistically you don't count (I know this through the ext 1 and ext 2 english running at my school), I'd concern myself more with mastering the content in hopes of acing the HSC. The HSC does count lol

Pace_T

HSC
thanks man
thanks for quick reply lol
anyway, yeh the HSC exams so far are pretty easy, its just that in this exam time was a problem...

richz

how much was each test worth?? It depends on the weighting too.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
nick1048 said:
rank doesn't matter in a class so small, statistically you don't count (I know this through the ext 1 and ext 2 english running at my school), I'd concern myself more with mastering the content in hopes of acing the HSC. The HSC does count lol
I think rank does matter no matter how small....

my largest class is 12 students... and my smallest is 4...
E.ADV.- 12
E.E.1 -10
E.E.2 -4
MATHS 2U- 8
MATHS.X1 -4
CHEM -4
PHYS -4

rank would probably not be as important when compared to a class of 60 or even 100... however rank does have a drammatic effect.. i experienced this in my arabic HSC last year with a class of 10 students...

but i 100% agree with ur last 2 sentences...

Will Hunting

HSC
And what would be the case if you were the only student in a class? Like, if you were enrolled in a distance education program not being undertaken by anyone but yourself? Would this favour you?

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Will Hunting said:
And what would be the case if you were the only student in a class? Like, if you were enrolled in a distance education program not being undertaken by anyone but yourself? Would this favour you?
I would think that in some ways it would benefit u.. but on the other hand.. u wouldn't really know how well ur performing according to other students... unless ur teacher's like a HSC marker...

however... U wouldn't have to worry about rank... I think i've seen a few people come and go by BOS who have been the only students in English Extension 2.. maybe they would be able to provide us with a more detailed answer...

Captain pi

HSC
This is a general remark regarding moderating of all courses.

The "Assessment Mark" you receive on your record of achievement is determined by the performance of your school in the HSC and on your assessment marks.

What they do is this:

Of the marks submitted by the school to the Board (the actual marks you got in the exam, 'x'), the bottom mark, the arithmetic mean of the marks, and the top mark are noted.

Of the Examination marks achieved ('y') in the HSC by your school, again, the bottom mark, the arithmetic mean of the marks, and the top mark are noted.

They then push these marks through a quadratic transformation.

That is, they take the equation

y = ax² + bx + c

and, put each pair of values {x,y} – {bottom x, bottom y}, {mean x, mean y}, {top x, top y} – to deduce the values of a, b, c.

The marks submitted are then plugged into this equation to determine the Assessment marks.

Hence, the top assessment mark is the top examination mark awarded; if you are ranked absolute first, you receive the highest examination mark achieved at your centre. If you achieve the highest mark in the exam, your HSC mark will be your examination mark.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Will Hunting said:
It depend on how you play it.

Basically, since there's only one person in the class, you are automatically ranked first internally. That is: your internal marks don't mean anything (I don't think any exceptions exist). This means that your entire HSC (for the one-person subjects(s)) rests solely on how you do in the external exams.

A blessing and a curse, perhaps not simultaneously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)